Wood choppers (for the challenged)

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Wood choppers (for the challenged)

Yo, guys:

I've recently added wood choppers to my routine.

These are insane. F*** I can't tell whether my shoulders (pecks & lats) are doing all the work or whether the lats or obliques are contributin'. I'm tryin to target the obliques -- but I haven't a clue.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

If you are rotating your trunk you are working your abdominals, don't worry.

Make sure you are looking the way you want to rotate to get full ROM, the body follows the head.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yo, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    If you are rotating your trunk you are working your abdominals, don't worry.

Make sure you are looking the way you want to rotate to get full ROM, the body follows the head.
    ----------------------------------

I'm really concentrating on keeping the body straight and twisting to accentuate the abs.. (I think my middle guys are really strong ) I can't always tell which muscle is pumpin'

But, it always gets better.

Thanks for your advice.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yeah, concentrate on the rotation. You can even have your initial position rotated slightly away from the cable attatchment so you are making sure you are loading the obliques all the way through.

With any other exercise you get a better feel for it as you go on.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

How are you doing them? Are you using a dumbbell? Do you have access to jump stretch bands?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    How are you doing them? Are you using a dumbbell? Do you have access to jump stretch bands?
    I'm really into weight training, and I use the cables to get the maximum resistance. Maybe 150 lbs? (You can't tell with the machines with their numbering system). But anyhow, I'm sure the upper body is benefiting from this exercise, but I can't tell which muscles are doing all the work? I just pump and know that its working, but, I guess its the whole lower body thats contributing! Go figure.

Ok, tell you what, I will get a video made of how to do them and you can compare that to what you are doing. Once we have established that you are doing them right, we can then talk about what muscles are being worked.

Chris

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Most here are also not into powerlifting with bands and such.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Quote Originally Posted by dg806 View Post
    Most here are also not into powerlifting with bands and such.
    I understand that, but bands and chains can be used to increase strength all athletic endeavors as well.

The wood chop can be performed with a dumbbell and that is how I normally do it.

It definitely works the entire abdomen.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    The wood chop can be performed with a dumbbell and that is how I normally do it.

It definitely works the entire abdomen.
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by kiko View Post
    Like this?

Sort of, except I hold the dumbbell by the handles and I do not bend at the legs. I restrict the movement to my upper body as much as possible.

Chris

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Yeah, you are working quads there more than anything.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.