NapsGear.net

What is your Opinion on this Article? Written by Dr.Clay Hyght

Rep Points

What is your Opinion on this Article? Written by Dr.Clay Hyght

4) The bench press does not build big pecs!

The bench press is the most overrated exercise of all time. In fact, if you perform the bench press in the manner that most people do, it's not even very good at stimulating the pecs.

To make matters worse, other docs I've talked to concur with my observation that the flat barbell bench press is positively correlated with a number of shoulder injuries like AC joint problems, biciptal tendonitis, and torn pecs. (I'm referring to tendonitis of the long head of the biceps tendon where it slides through the biciptal groove on the head of the humerus — essentially a shoulder problem.)

I'm not saying to never do the bench press; I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it any more than any other chest exercise. Actually, I'd probably do it less than most others.

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

I think its kinda overrated, there are other similar movements that will do a lot for you. Its still a great movement though.

I think the problem is that people do it with their arms at a 90 degree angle from their torso which does have a higher probability of causing shoulder problems.

The solution is not to cut it out altogether, its to do the movement properly.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

In fact, if you perform the bench press in the manner that most people do, it's not even very good at stimulating the pecs.

Right...all I do for chest is flat bench and DB Incline and my chest blows up from it.
    Im 20. 6'3'' 235 lbs. Want to get to 8% body fat, +315 bench, +500 squat, and reach a weight between 230-240.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The article is completely right.

(Except 'as most people do it' should be 'when using proper form'. Those are not the same, because most people have a shitty form so that the pecs do get stimulated maximally. Of course, as is the case with all compound exercises, chest hyperthrophy will occur.)

Westside Bencher

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gazhole View Post
    I think the problem is that people do it with their arms at a 90 degree angle from their torso which does have a higher probability of causing shoulder problems.

The solution is not to cut it out altogether, its to do the movement properly.

Bingo! You've hit the nail right on the head.

and as for benching not building big pecs, haha well I'd disagree.

Tuck those elbows when benching. Pull the shoulder blades in together and take the stress of those shoulders. Also, people neglect their rotator cuffs too much . Predisposed weaknesses
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports strength!

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by akiss49ers View Post
    4) The bench press does not build big pecs!

The bench press is the most overrated exercise of all time. In fact, if you perform the bench press in the manner that most people do, it's not even very good at stimulating the pecs.

To make matters worse, other docs I've talked to concur with my observation that the flat barbell bench press is positively correlated with a number of shoulder injuries like AC joint problems, biciptal tendonitis, and torn pecs. (I'm referring to tendonitis of the long head of the biceps tendon where it slides through the biciptal groove on the head of the humerus — essentially a shoulder problem.)

I'm not saying to never do the bench press; I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it any more than any other chest exercise. Actually, I'd probably do it less than most others.
    I think it's partially correct, not completely.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Rep Points

its hard for me to put too much into this article considering my chest has pretty much blown up from benching. There are other excellent lifts for your chest, but I dont know how anyone could expect to gain size on their chest without having the bench press as one of their lifts. just my two cents.

Rep Points

The bench is a great exercise because it allows you to efficiently training all of the major pressing muscles of the upper body. There are other exercises which are equally effective, but that doesn't preclude the bench from being a good exercise.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The phrase everyone seems to have missed.

Westside Bencher

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post

The phrase everyone seems to have missed.
    I'd still disagree. I don't do any other chest movement except bench. I might do a set of flyes every once in a great while. 99% of it though it flat bench

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You're a powerlifter though, right Travis? Powerlifters have all the reason in the world to bench.

Westside Bencher

Rep Points

yes I am, but my pec development hasn't suffered at all as a result was my point.

that said though I understand what you're saying. If my goal was only to achieve hypertrophy, I wouldn't train the same way.