• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

How Green, Or Safe, Is Your Coffee Cup?

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
WBBM 780 - Chicago's #1 source for local news, traffic and weather - How Green, Or Safe, Is Your Coffee Cup?

CHICAGO (WBBM) - Here's something to think about as you drink your morning coffee at work.
WBBM's Steve Miller reports.
Wait until your cup is empty - then turn it over. Does it have a number 6 on it? And below that, "PS"?
That PS is for polystyrene. Styrofoam. And if hot coffee or hot tea is your drink of choice, polystyrene maybe shouldn't be your cup of choice, says Paul McRandle, deputy editor of The Green Guide, published by National Geographic.
"There is a concern that styrene itself, one of the chemical components which is a possible human carcinogen, may leach into coffee or (any) hot liquid."
And McRandle says there's another reason to not use Styrofoam.
"Given that polystyrene is not all that readily recyclable, we've suggested - and many companies have already done this - switching to cardboard."
The companies that make Styrofoam cups say their product is safe and meets all FDA requirements - and they say some questions raised over the years have attained "urban legend" status.
The Green Guide also is talking about the office water cooler.
That's if your office water cooler has one of those five-gallon plastic bottles. Chances are there's a number-7 on the bottom of it and it's made of polycarbonate.
Perhaps not a good idea, says Paul McRandle, deputy editor of The Green Guide, published by National Geographic.
"We don't recommend using them."
Again, some of the recommendations of The Green Guide differ from the federal government's.
Tap water in most places is fine, McRandle says. And he says if you don't use a bottle made of polycarbonate, you'd avoid possible exposure to bisphenol-A, which some say may cause cancer.
Many plastic baby bottles are also made of polycarbonate, and The Green Guide doesn't recommend them either.
The Food and Drug Administration has declared them safe.
However, Congress is considering a ban on bisphenol-A in some products, and Canada says it wants to ban the use of bisphenol-A in baby bottles.

On the Net: The Green Guide - green living tips, product reviews, environmental health news

Ever notice how bottled water tastes nasty at room temperature or when you take the last sip?

I drink my coffee out of used SHARPS containers.

Ever notice how bottled water tastes nasty at room temperature or when you take the last sip?

i think mino has been spiking lee's drink

Same with water coolers. The next time the Bottle empties, take the top off the water cooler and look inside the cooler unit itself. You'll be pretty grossed out what grows in that cold environment. No one ever cleans the inside of the water cooler itself, they only switch out the bottles. Once I got a glimpse at the inside of our water cooler unit, I take it upon myself to clean the thing every quarter.

I thought Styrene and BPA were old news, but maybe not. I know that Health Canada finally banned Poly Carbonate (PC) plastic baby bottles. THe kicker is that this research has been around a long time, people new about BPA for decades but it took this long for government action. The research pretty much says hot liquids in PC bottles is a no no and microwaving baby bottles is a disaster.

The reality is that we should probably go back to glass, or everyone should switch to HDPE or PET plastics.

One company in Canada, Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) lead the way by pulling all PC bottles (like the popular, Nalgene bottles). They refunded anyone who purchased PC bottles. They only sell bottles that are HDPE or PET.

IML Gear Cream!
Also from a bodybuilding perspective, BPA is a xenoestrogen (synthetic estrogen)....say no more.

Back