Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

do my calculations add up? Please help

Rep Points

do my calculations add up? Please help

ok brief story...i've nearly graduated as a physical therapist in fact my course ends tommorow. The end date was put forward and the work was getting highly demanding as a result the last 2 months i've not attended my gym..not once!! shame on me!

to add to that i've eat nothing but junk. Just eating when I feel, calories all over the show, ive not even made a conscious to make healthy food choices!!

Now to this day, I'm stepping on the scales at a measly 178 lbs, on my own two feet at 5ft 11. AND...looking in the mirror looking around 18%bf!

So its time to put it right now and i mean right now! So starting with diet based on my weight are the following; (bear with me here im shocking at maths)

shooting for > 160g of protein
    > 80g of fat
    > 200g of carbs

I'm an endomorph charecter..so i threw the number of carbs out there to make up the rest of the calories.

so... 160 X 4 = 640
    80 x 9 = 700
    200 x 4 = 800
    and that adds up to - 2120 calories per day. hmmm seems low for me what you think?

just to clarify the rest of my math from there;

7 meals per day (including pre-post workout):

>302 cals each meal
    >23g of PRO
    >16g of FAT
    >34g of CARB

does this look right? I aim to slowly drop fat in the short term (i mean 4-6 weeks) adding lots of veggies, fish, water, green tea. then long term goal add cals and gain muscle.

Many thanks in advance, its much appreciated! I hope you guys can help me on my journey. Off to do some work but I'll be back!
    Cow Pimp - If you don't train your legs you're a dumbfuck. I'm not going to elaborate on why. If it isn't obvious to you, then you deserve the marginal results that you get and hideously unbalanced/injury prone physique that you will build.

Rep Points

Built you seem to advocate using fitday.com...

Can I not just read food lables and do it that way. cant get my damn head around that thing!

like it said i had the same amount of pro and carbs in the same meal (33g) yet on the pie chart the carb proportion was wayyy bigger than pro.

Plus i can never get the right quantity to fit the food so im not going to get the correct outcome am i? ahh please help!!
    Cow Pimp - If you don't train your legs you're a dumbfuck. I'm not going to elaborate on why. If it isn't obvious to you, then you deserve the marginal results that you get and hideously unbalanced/injury prone physique that you will build.

..is bulking up!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Fitday is to make it easy to calc the macros. I prefer to take the macros of the labels or from nutritiondata.com and work it out myself.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BulkMeUp View Post
    Fitday is to make it easy to calc the macros. I prefer to take the macros of the labels or from nutritiondata.com and work it out myself.

Great, thanks! I'd prefere to do it that way myself. I'll check out nutrtiondata if i need to so thanks for that too. So how does my process look is it right?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Who cares what size the pie chart says it is?

I like fitday because it's free and it's the one I use, but just do it however you like. No need to have all meals the same - and you may feel more comfortable on a cut with your carbs a little lower and your protein and or fat a little higher. For that matter, you may feel more comfortable with 4 -5 meals instead of 7. None of this will affect your results, so feel free to fiddle with these aspects to suit your lifestyle.

Do you happen to know what maintenance is for you?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Who cares what size the pie chart says it is?

I like fitday because it's free and it's the one I use, but just do it however you like. No need to have all meals the same - and you may feel more comfortable on a cut with your carbs a little lower and your protein and or fat a little higher. For that matter, you may feel more comfortable with 4 -5 meals instead of 7. None of this will affect your results, so feel free to fiddle with these aspects to suit your lifestyle.

Do you happen to know what maintenance is for you?
    Hi Built, many thanks for the reply.

Right okay I'll keep fitday in my arsenal and anything I cant track on there run through some other way.

Thanks for the input on the meal structure I'll definately bear that in mind and I did feel myself I could handle carbs a little lower and the protein could be bumped up. Are my calcualtions correct though/the way I went about it?

I dont know what my maintenance is or how to calculate it? Can you help?

I've eaten healthily, steadily for roughly 2 years now. I've just eat balanced meals aimed towards my goals and looked in the mirror and stepped on the scales to gauge progress. I'd be lying if I said I didnt look/feel 10x better!

I want to take it a step further though this time with calculations and be more precise. This way I hope to curb any binges/benders and stay on the track 100% + take my physique to the next level + im always willing to learn

Kind Regards

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

What are your goals - weight loss or weight gain?

Maintenance is not calculated - it's something you track and measure. 2100 looks low to me - that's MY maintenance.

What is your training going to be like? (PS props on finishing your programme!)

Nerd

Rep Points

Maintenance is not calculated - it's something you track and measure
    Agreed, there's no formula that can account for everything. Even if there were it would only give the same result as tracking anyway, and as things change so would the formula have to. Tracking is just easier but formulas can give a general guide to work from.

During usability testing for Biggly it's surprising how far some people are in their calorie estimation. I've known people claim they never eat more than 2000 yet when added up (including drinks) they're over 3,000. Likewise some peeps claim they eat too much and need to reduce - but they're actually averaging too little at around 1400.

There's nothing more accurate than knowing what you are over the last couple of weeks or months and knowing just what effect that had.

B.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    What are your goals - weight loss or weight gain?

Maintenance is not calculated - it's something you track and measure. 2100 looks low to me - that's MY maintenance.

What is your training going to be like? (PS props on finishing your programme!)
    Right okay, well I've found my maintennace in the mirror but not in numbers HA does that make sense?

As for training I'm thinking of creating a Westside Template with the help of Travis Bell haha since he's the man! I've done full body wo's loads - since I got more time on my hands now I want to opt for a split!

I love strength though - I want it baddddd! I'll go over this in the training section but what I have in mind is doing a basic template to suit my needs whist adding in some conditioning work for a few months then drop some of the conditioning and look into implementing chains/bands. I never done this before but it looks great! It's great that Travis is a hardcore bencher too! This is my weakest lift definately by far out of the big 3, my shoulders are strong but pecs/tri's suck ass! I'll drop by Travis's journal at some point and pick the dude's brains for sure.

Thanks many so much but Yep my course was highly demanding and it was crammed into 1 year - even older, more mature students were strugglinng more than myself when they only had to do the course. In that year I've become a father, I lost my best friend , moved house from mum and dads to my nans, plus still done my driving lessons so I gotta give myself hats off ha I gave it my damn all!

Oh by the way; goals - FAT LOSS! moderately for no more than a few months whlist getting my butt in gear (diet & training) then keep on top, slowly add cals and start too add muscle!

Many thanks, greatful for all the input!

Rep Points

Well here's what I hope to eat consistently on a daily basis:

Meal 1 (Breakfast):

Egg/Oatmeal Pancake with Peanut Butter and Banana
    1 cup of water
    1 cup of green tea
    1 multi-vitamin / 2 fish caps / Antibiotic

Meal 2 (Mid Morning):

1 tub of low fat cottage cheese
    2 ryvita whole wheat/seeded biscuits
    Salad mixture (inc. celery, cherry tomatoes, rocket, lettuce and beetroot)
    2 fish caps / Apple
    Water

Meal 3 (Lunch):

2 tuna burgers
    Mixed, chopped veggies
    1 small carton of Whole milk

Meal 4 (Pre workout):

Whey/Casein protein shake in water with Greek natural yogurt and fruit

Meal 5 (During/Post workout):

Water
    Whey/Maltodextrin shake with SS milk and 2 fruit
    Cup of green tea

Meal 6 (Dinner):

Homemade chicken curry with vegetables and whole wheat wraps
    OR Homemade chilli with kidney beans and other beans and whole wheat wraps
    OR Fresh baked fish with vegetables and potatoes
    Lean beef steak in mushroom sauce with vegetables and potatoes

Meal 7 (Pre-bed):

Handful of mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
    1 cup of warm whole milk

Snacks throughout the day must be mixture of nuts&dried fruits or an apple or bite of goats cheese or vegetable soup or protein bar.