• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

NASA warming scientist: 'This is the last chance'

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
The Associated Press: NASA warming scientist: 'This is the last chance'

By SETH BORENSTEIN â?????? 11 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) â?????? Exactly 20 years after warning America about global warming, a top NASA scientist said the situation has gotten so bad that the world's only hope is drastic action.
James Hansen told Congress on Monday that the world has long passed the "dangerous level" for greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and needs to get back to 1988 levels. He said Earth's atmosphere can only stay this loaded with man-made carbon dioxide for a couple more decades without changes such as mass extinction, ecosystem collapse and dramatic sea level rises.
"We're toast if we don't get on a very different path," Hansen, director of the Goddard Institute of Space Sciences who is sometimes called the godfather of global warming science, told The Associated Press. "This is the last chance."
Hansen brought global warming home to the public in June 1988 during a Washington heat wave, telling a Senate hearing that global warming was already here. To mark the anniversary, he testified before the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming where he was called a prophet, and addressed a luncheon at the National Press Club where he was called a hero by former Sen. Tim Wirth, D-Colo., who headed the 1988 hearing.
To cut emissions, Hansen said coal-fired power plants that don't capture carbon dioxide emissions shouldn't be used in the United States after 2025, and should be eliminated in the rest of the world by 2030. That carbon capture technology is still being developed and not yet cost efficient for power plants.
Burning fossil fuels like coal is the chief cause of man-made greenhouse gases. Hansen said the Earth's atmosphere has got to get back to a level of 350 parts of carbon dioxide per million. Last month, it was 10 percent higher: 386.7 parts per million.
Hansen said he'll testify on behalf of British protesters against new coal-fired power plants. Protesters have chained themselves to gates and equipment at sites of several proposed coal plants in England.
"The thing that I think is most important is to block coal-fired power plants," Hansen told the luncheon. "I'm not yet at the point of chaining myself but we somehow have to draw attention to this."
Frank Maisano, a spokesman for many U.S. utilities, including those trying to build new coal plants, said while Hansen has shown foresight as a scientist, his "stop them all approach is very simplistic" and shows that he is beyond his level of expertise.
The year of Hansen's original testimony was the world's hottest year on record. Since then, 14 years have been hotter, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Two decades later, Hansen spent his time on the question of whether it's too late to do anything about it. His answer: There's still time to stop the worst, but not much time.
"We see a tipping point occurring right before our eyes," Hansen told the AP before the luncheon. "The Arctic is the first tipping point and it's occurring exactly the way we said it would."
Hansen, echoing work by other scientists, said that in five to 10 years, the Arctic will be free of sea ice in the summer.
Longtime global warming skeptic Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., citing a recent poll, said in a statement, "Hansen, (former Vice President) Gore and the media have been trumpeting man-made climate doom since the 1980s. But Americans are not buying it."
But Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., committee chairman, said, "Dr. Hansen was right. Twenty years later, we recognize him as a climate prophet."
On the Net:

He's a scientist and he thinks that humans can stop global warming? :funny:

Just because you're a scientist doesn't mean that you're a good one.

Don't worry, ALGORE will save us!

I believe his stance, somewhat. There is documentation to back his theory/report. Bad stuff is happening, no doubt.

Unfortunately, like DOMS said, we humans are too concerned about conspicuous consumption, and the thought of motivating every human being to act responsibly seems dismal.

What is happening that is not normal and happens as a natural cycle? I do believe we contribute, but not to that extent.

If americans aren't buying into global warming change then why is going green so trendy?

I think that Americans are fully aware of what we are doing to the planet, but would rather not think about it. There seems to be a lot of the apathetic "Oh, it won't have any effect on my generation, so who cares" mentality.

Boy, you seem really bubbly and upbeat today.:gosh:

You have to admit, there are negative global changes taking place as we speak. Although I think this guy might be pushing his agenda with an amplified sense of urgency in hopes of getting the ball rolling a little quicker.

IML Gear Cream!
Boy, you seem really bubbly and upbeat today.:gosh:

You have to admit, there are negative global changes taking place as we speak. Although I think this guy might be pushing his agenda with an amplified sense of urgency in hopes of getting the ball rolling a little quicker.

Sure there are global changes, but I wouldn't call them negative.

The world is warming...and it's been doing so since the end of the last ice age. That's about 10,000 years ago. Ya know, about 10,000 years before the industrial age that's suppose to be the cause of global warming. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't care what you say, sunshine.....I'm stocking up on sunscreen and building a damn arc.

If man can't affect a drastic change in the environment then why is the sky brown in LA? You have to admit that the tons of pollution streaming from every vehicle, manufacturing facility, power plant and every man made burning source has to be gathering somewhere and it isn't all hovering over LA. One of our biggest supporters works at the Main Power Plant here where they are burning oil all day everyday and he drives the company truck here to visit at times and the thing is always caked with black dust from fallout from the stacks, just think of all the stuff that drifts up into the atmosphere each year from those places, now think decades and then think a century. Hell one little cigarette can fill a small room with smoke, a pack of cigarettes can choke out a room. Think of a campfire those are tiny and yet the amount of smoke from those things is massive. Hell a few hits from a bong with just a small amount of bud can cloud out a VW Bus, now think of the mountains of coal that get burned each year......we have been clambaking the whole damned planet man! If we'd only known we could;ve at least got our kicks out of it by running everything on ganja and ganja oil......just imagine if LA's smog was second-hand smoke and the whole town walked around with a contact high......

When James Hansen speaks people should listen.

1. global warming shout NOT be political: but for Americans, it is.

The political aspect of global warming in the US has been manufactured, and the masses have followed (again).

The GWB administration has tried to silience him and other government scientist by openly threatening to ruin careers.

And when Hansen gave interviews there had to be a government witness had attend. Just to send a message.

Exxon-Mobile and other corporations pay $10,000 per article - yes, $10K for one article, written by scientists to dispute global warming.

In other countries, global warming is NOT political. Only in America.

If man can't affect a drastic change in the environment then why is the sky brown in LA?

Polluting the environment is leagues away from changing the temperature of the entire planet. Plus, the former can be backed up with facts, and the later can only be backed up by hearsay and politically driven "science."

But it makes you feel better to think that natural warming is caused by man, knock yourself out.

Last edited:
Americans are only a fraction of what the chinese pollute.

Polluting the environment is leagues away from changing the temperature of the entire planet. Plus, the former can be backed up with facts, and the later can only be backed up by hearsay and politically driven "science."

But it makes you feel better to think that natural warming is caused by man, knock yourself out..
Man is part of nature so even our part is included in the natural warming and cooling cycle. How do we know that deforestation caused by dinosaurs didn't make climatic changes in their day? How do we know the monstrous mammals of prehistoric mans day didn't make changes? There is the inevitable cycling that has been seen through the ages but we are helping to speed it up. There are 6 billion and counting of us, the billions of us who drive cars and use electricity blow smoke into the sky every day and even the less fortunate have to build a fire each day to cook and stay warm. If one car in a closed garage is enough to kill a man in a few hours why isn't a billion cars running for a hundred years in this closed fish bowl we live in not enough to make any impact? If you take a good minute to sit and contemplate the massive amount of CO2 that gets pumped into the air each day and then multiply it by years, decades and so on and you'll see that we have put a lot of it out there. Yes ice ages and global warming have happened without our help but we are aiding it's rapidity this go round. What will it hurt anyhow if we make changes and find that all that we did was clean up our dirty ways? I would rather take the chance at slowing the warming to give us a chance to adapt than not and end up with disaster. So we make the change to cleaner fuels and if those of us who are right get what we want and those who don't beleive will at least live a nice clean environment for their future generations it's a win-win.....

Well, I don't care what you say, sunshine.....I'm stocking up on sunscreen and building a damn arc.
An arc? Like an architectural arc or a geometrical arc or an electric arc?

I don't necessarily want to be "green" but being healthier and less dependent on the grid can't be a bad thing. I would love to be in the middle of a blackout but have full power in my house thanks to solar or something.

He's a scientist and he thinks that humans can stop global warming? :funny:

For even those who have no faith in any aspect of life, to sit around and say nothing is pathetic.

IML Gear Cream!

Americans pollute more than a "fraction."

America is a very bad offender. So, is China. And other nations.

This is worldwide, as you know.

Noting the Chinese seems like a away to deter responsibility, IMO.

Man is part of nature so even our part is included in the natural warming and cooling cycle. How do we know that deforestation caused by dinosaurs didn't make climatic changes in their day? How do we know the monstrous mammals of prehistoric mans day didn't make changes? There is the inevitable cycling that has been seen through the ages but we are helping to speed it up. There are 6 billion and counting of us, the billions of us who drive cars and use electricity blow smoke into the sky every day and even the less fortunate have to build a fire each day to cook and stay warm. If one car in a closed garage is enough to kill a man in a few hours why isn't a billion cars running for a hundred years in this closed fish bowl we live in not enough to make any impact? If you take a good minute to sit and contemplate the massive amount of CO2 that gets pumped into the air each day and then multiply it by years, decades and so on and you'll see that we have put a lot of it out there. Yes ice ages and global warming have happened without our help but we are aiding it's rapidity this go round. What will it hurt anyhow if we make changes and find that all that we did was clean up our dirty ways? I would rather take the chance at slowing the warming to give us a chance to adapt than not and end up with disaster. So we make the change to cleaner fuels and if those of us who are right get what we want and those who don't beleive will at least live a nice clean environment for their future generations it's a win-win.....

Again, your doing on of the mantras of "mankind is causing global warming" by trying to talk about the affects of pollution and not the actual warming of the Earth.

And yes, it does hurt we spend money to reach the wrong goal. Just look at the Kyoto Protocol. What a monumental waste of money. If we're going to clean up the environment, then lets clean it up, and not focus on a false goal.

America, considering its wealth, is one of the biggest polluters of the planet actually. The cars in particular are highly polluting. Look at these prices per gallon and keep in mind cars in Europe are on average 1.5 to 2.0 times as durable.
* 1. Bosnia-Herzegovina $10.86
* 2. Eritrea $9.58
* 3. Norway $8.73
* 4. United Kingdom $8.38
* 5. Netherlands $8.37
* 6. Monaco $8.31
* 7. Iceland $8.28
* 8. Belgium $8.22
* 9. France $8.07
* 10. Germany $7.86
* 111. United States $3.45

Same for power plants basically.

China's pollution is leagues beyond the US. Which is funny when you consider that they weren't going to be covered under the Kyoto Protocol.

True, the US has the money and they have been doing things to clean up the environment. Sure the could do more, but they haven't been ignoring it.

It's not just Asia, most of the world is fucked up.

two monkies, three goats.....wait a minute....one, two, .....

Seriously, we may have the resources to manage our own ecological issues, (which are really the World's ecological issues to a degree) but unfortunately, we cannot baby sit the rest of the planet.....or can we?:thinking:

Al Gore......pffffffft.

China's pollution is leagues beyond the US. Which is funny when you consider that they weren't going to be covered under the Kyoto Protocol.

China has no regualtions or EPA.

Back