Hypertension and nutrition?

Rep Points

Hypertension and nutrition?

Anybody know any good books on nutrition geared towards athletes with hypertension? I know there are a lot of generic books for hypertension, but it's the basics stay away from sodium and foods that are high in sodium, just wondering if there was something more geared towards someone that works at a relatively high performance level and has "controlled" hypertension (I've been taking medication for a few years and my blood pressure has been low to normal while taking the medication).

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by pbateman View Post
    Anybody know any good books on nutrition geared towards athletes with hypertension? I know there are a lot of generic books for hypertension, but it's the basics stay away from sodium and foods that are high in sodium, just wondering if there was something more geared towards someone that works at a relatively high performance level and has "controlled" hypertension (I've been taking medication for a few years and my blood pressure has been low to normal while taking the medication).
    I'm a nutritionist and as much as I've read, I've yet to come accross a book specifically aimed at the hypertensive athlete.

I would guess the reason I haven't seen such a book is that it would be redundant.

Any diet program which successfully addresses the issues of hypertension, heart disease, CAD and atherosclerosis would apply to you as much as it would to a non athlete hypertensive.

The only dietary differences your athleticism might indicate would be related to protein calories and total calories.
    The more
    The marble wastes,
    The more the statue grows.

Michelangelo