• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Jonathan Papelbon says he should close All-Star Game instead of Mo

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What a prima dona, while a future great player he may be he should show some class and acknowledged the fact that this is Rivera's arena....it's the last All-Star time he will ever pitch at The Stadium.
Paps while have a lot more opportunities in the future.
So sit down little boy and let the old man do his job.

Jonathan Papelbon says he should close All-Star Game instead of Mo

BY MARK FEINSAND
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Monday, July 14th 2008, 10:28 PM
As if Jonathan Papelbon wasn't unpopular enough in New York.
While the rest of the baseball world heaped praise on Mariano Rivera for his Hall of Fame career during Monday's All-Star media day, the Red Sox closer declared that he deserves to be the American League's ninth-inning man at Yankee Stadium Tuesday.

"If I was managing the team, I would close," Papelbon said. "I'm not managing the team, so it don't matter."
Papelbon, though, seemed to believe that Boston's championship a year ago not only ensured Terry Francona's place as the American League manager, but him being the closer.

"We've both earned that right; us, by winning the World Series and having the opportunity of having our manager there and our team being represented, and Mariano by what he's done for this role, we're in Yankee Stadium and blah, blah, blah," Papelbon said. "It's not that easy. Everybody thinks it's a cut and dry answer, but it's not."

Francona, meanwhile, was coy when asked about his ninth-inning plans.
"Out of the spirit of the game and competition, and having a little bit of fun, we're not going to announce the rest of our rotation yet," Francona said, saying he didn't want to give the NL any help by disclosing his plans.

When the subject of who should close out the game for the AL tonight was broached, Rivera respectfully tabbed himself as the most worthy candidate.
"It's definitely tough, but we're here in Yankee Stadium. I think I should get the shot," Rivera said. "I definitely would love to. Knowing Francona, I have a feeling he'll put me there if we have the opportunity to close the game."

Rivera's career accomplishments easily trump those of the other five closers on the AL roster, but the Yankees' All-Star could make a case for the closer's job tonight based solely on his numbers from this season.

Rivera is 23-for-23 in save opportunities, allowing just one run in those games. Baltimore's George Sherrill leads the AL with six blown saves, while Papelbon (4), the Angels' Francisco Rodriguez (3), Minnesota's Joe Nathan (2) and Kansas City's Joakim Soria (2) each have blemishes on their record. Rivera's 1.06 ERA is the lowest of the six relievers, and his four walks are less than half of his closest competitor.

Asked if Francona would make it out of the Bronx alive if he didn't use Rivera in the ninth, Papelbon said, "You're starting to scare me with that question. Do you have the mob after him or something?"

After his 50-minute media session, Papelbon backtracked on his statements, telling the Boston Globe that he had had a change of heart after answering questions on the subject for the better part of an hour.

Papelbon grabbed the Boston reporter's tape recorder, held it to his mouth and said, "This is Jonathan Papelbon, closer of the Boston Red Sox. Mariano Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it."

While Papelbon may have been torn over who should close the game, he was in the vast minority. Rodriguez, who has an MLB-best 35 saves, considers himself the top closer in the game ("Who's got the most numbers?" he said. "The most saves?"), but he also praised Rivera.
"He's one of the greatest closers of all time," Rodriguez said. "This is Yankee Stadium, so it won't surprise me to see him pitch the ninth. He's amazing. It seems like it's not an effort for him and he's still so dominating."

"I've always said he's the guy we need to look up to," Nathan said. "I don't think there's going to be anybody in this room that doesn't think he should be the guy in the ninth inning."
The Mets' Billy Wagner, who might handle closing duties for the NL, was surprised there was even a question who would close for the AL.

"Mo's the best closer in the game," Wagner said. "Yankee Stadium probably crumbles if Mo doesn't go out there for the ninth."
Rivera said he wouldn't be disappointed if he was passed over in the ninth, but he made it clear how much it would mean for him to get the ball for the final All-Star inning in the Stadium's illustrious history.

"It would be an honor to have an opportunity to close this game at Yankee Stadium," Rivera said. "I hope we have the opportunity to be ahead and I have the chance to close the game. The experience, it would be special."

hahahaha.....Yankee fans will find anything to get pissed about.

What's beautiful about this picture is that is shows the Red Sox winning the 2007 World Series. :) IN YO FACE!

gal_backpage_0715.jpg

Fuck Papelbon....that guy is a pussy.

Like the Red sox wouldn't get mad.

The odds of something this stupid being on the front page of the Globe or Herald equals zero.

Yankee fans used to say that "there was no rivalry" and that it's simply Red Sox fans hating on the Yankees. That has changed. The Red Sox are now the far superior organization from top to bottom and inside & out and it's New York/Yankee fans now trying to continue this "rivalry."

Not to mention, Papelbon (even with his struggles over the past month) is a better pitcher than Mariano Rivera is right now. If Tito is looking to win the game, which he should considering it now "counts" and home field advantage in the World Series is riding on it, he should choose the best closer to close out the game. With that said, the best closer in that bullpen tonight is Francisco Rodriguez so neither of them should close.

The odds of something this stupid being on the front page of the Globe or Herald equals zero.

Um....I doubt it.

Yankee fans used to say that "there was no rivalry" and that it's simply Red Sox fans hating on the Yankees. That has changed. The Red Sox are now the far superior organization from top to bottom and inside & out and it's New York/Yankee fans now trying to continue this "rivalry."

I'm more worried about Tampa right now, Paps just acting like a baby, as usual. His catcher should spank him a bit, now that's a player.
Not to mention, Paperboy (even with his struggles over the past month) is a better pitcher than Mariano Rivera is right now. If Tito is looking to win the game, which he should considering it now "counts" and home field advantage in the World Series is riding on it, he should choose the best closer to close out the game. With that said, the best closer in that bullpen tonight is Francisco Rodriguez so neither of them should close.
Cisco is the better pitcher this year, case closed.
But none can match what he has accomplished in his career...yet.

Your missing the point here, this is the last game at The Stadium. As a baseball man you would think that makes sense.
Much like when Ted Williams had that last moment on the field at Fenway....that was great watching all those players around him, it's one of the few All-star games I can remember.
Paperboy needs a little class, much like Cisco showed.

If this was the World Series then I can understand, but it's not. It's just a show.

I just looked and it's on the Back page of the paper, where did you see it as a front page I don't know.

The Daily News is actually a real good sports paper winning a few awards on coverage.
So you would have to excuse them if they place so much emphasis on sports in the back page.

IML Gear Cream!
Cisco is the better pitcher this year, case closed.
But none can match what he has accomplished in his career...yet.
If past accomplishments had anything to do with future success, I'd say you were right. While an exhibition game, home field advantage in the World Series is riding on it. Therefore, the best pitcher (now, not over the course of the past ten years) should be closing out the game.

Your missing the point here, this is the last game at The Stadium. As a baseball man you would think that makes sense.
Much like when Ted Williams had that last moment on the field at Fenway....that was great watching all those players around him, it's one of the few All-star games I can remember.
Paperboy needs a little class, much like Cisco showed.
This is the fourth and final All-Star game at Yankee Stadium. Ted Williams coming out at Fenway in '99 shortly before he would eventually die isn't in the same realm IMO. Mariano Rivera should pitch in front of the home crowd, but I still think the best closer should close out the game if need be and Mariano Rivera is no longer the best closer.

Who's to say the American League is even ahead in the ninth? If I'm you, I want him pitching earlier in the game just to guarantee he makes an appearance.

I just looked and it's on the Back page of the paper, where did you see it as a front page I don't know.

The Daily News is actually a real good sports paper winning a few awards on coverage.
So you would have to excuse them if they place so much emphasis on sports in the back page.

I thought the Daily News was set up like the Boston Herald? The front page of the sports section is on the back, no?

I thought the Daily News was set up like the Boston Herald? The front page of the sports section is on the back, no?

Min0 is splitting hairs here. He knows the back page of that paper is reserved for the biggest sports headlines.

The Daily News is one paper, it's not split into little sections.

The regular news is on the front while sports are displayed in the back page.

Unless there's a scandel or a World Series, Super Bowl win it rarely is front page news.

If past accomplishments had anything to do with future success, I'd say you were right. While an exhibition game, home field advantage in the World Series is riding on it. Therefore, the best pitcher (now, not over the course of the past ten years) should be closing out the game.

Then it should go to F. Rodriguez, he has more saves, less blown saves and a lower ERA.

This is the fourth and final All-Star game at Yankee Stadium. Ted Williams coming out at Fenway in '99 shortly before he would eventually die isn't in the same realm IMO. Mariano Rivera should pitch in front of the home crowd, but I still think the best closer should close out the game if need be and Mariano Rivera is no longer the best closer.

Who's to say the American League is even ahead in the ninth? If I'm you, I want him pitching earlier in the game just to guarantee he makes an appearance.
The AL owns the NL, we all know that.
Sentiments aside it should go to the best reliever at the moment, but it's not Paperboy.
I'll respect Francona's decision on who it will be, he's been a decent guy..I like him.

Damn, as shitty as the Yanks hitting has been and with lesser save opportunities he's not that far behind.
His ERA tells the story alone.

Rivera has 23 save opportunities with 23 saves= 0 Blown saves

Papelbon has 32 SVO's with 28 saves= 4 blown saves

The AL owns the NL, we all know that.
Sentiments aside it should go to the best reliever at the moment, but it's not Paperboy.
I'll respect Francona's decision on who it will be, he's been a decent guy..I like him.

Yea, that's what I said.

K-Rod should be the closer. Papelbon the set-up man. Rivera middle relief.

IML Gear Cream!
Yea, that's what I said.

K-Rod should be the closer. Papelbon the set-up man. Rivera middle relief.
Sounds good, and fair.

Picture this,
It's Fenway Park and they will demolish it (God forbid that would happen) and the All-Star is being played there out to wish it a goodbye.
Yaz is playing his last few years there so his skills have diminished somewhat but he's still respectable.
The manager but not the fans vote him in.
And say I was a Yankee manager, what would you think I would do?
A- Start him.
B- Use him as a pinch hitter in the late innings
C- Use him as the water boy.

I pick A, this is for the fans of Boston who are attending, this is to show him gratitude for all the great years he gave MLB.

Remember when A-Rod moved over from short to third so that Ripkin can play his last AllStar game there?

That was special, that was Baseball. That is what makes this game so damn special.

Now let me go wipe my tears. :sob:

Paperboy sounded like a pompous ass.
I like the kid, he has a great future ahead of him but why mouth off like that.
Show some respect, Rivera has to be one of the most liked players around even though he is a Yankee.
You never hear Mo talk trash or bad about anyone...he's pure class.
Now if this was a Reggie Jackson or a Roger Clemens I wouldn't give 2 craps about it.

If anyone player was important to the Yankees during the last....what 10 years, it would be Rivera.

I doubt Paps is even serious. That dude clowns about everything. I'd need to hear the interview rather than read the transcript to determine if he was being serious or not but I highly doubt it. It's no contest. Even if Mariano didn't have the best resume out of the closers for the job tonight, he should still close it out simply because it's the end of Yankee Stadium.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's still a game to be played before we talk about who gets the save.

Personally, I just want to see a good hard fought game and an AL winner.

If Rivera pitches, good for him.

Are you weeping with me also?
xdhyeq.jpg

I don't get the weeping. You still have a half season of games left.

Your talking like the place is being demolished tomorrow AM.

Are you weeping with me also?
xdhyeq.jpg

Not after winning 5 of the last 6 and 2 of 3 from the Yanks before the Break.

But other then that, yes I am extremely disappointed in the Jays.

I don't get the weeping. You still have a half season of games left.

Your talking like the place is being demolished tomorrow AM.

I will be there August 30th.... can't wait.

Back