Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Coffee and effects on hypertrophy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Coffee and effects on hypertrophy

From what I've gathered from reading many posts, a lot of people prefer to drink coffee before working out due to the stimulus that it gives from the caffeine it contains.

I think something that many people are overlooking is the idea that although caffeine helps with an energy burst, coffee also has the side effect of raising Cortisol which as we know is definitely bad for....anything.

So my question is, how much do you think the cortisol raising effects of coffee affect your ability to both burn fat and build muscle, and do those effects outweigh the potential benefits of the caffeine?

(Yea, all of this can be avoided by simply drinking tea)
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Small factor, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are drinking enourmous amounts.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Coffee has a great placebo effect.

The result on your health is personal and vague.

"King of Cheat Meals"

Rep Points

I will murder a small rodent at least for a cup of good home ground home brewed coffee!!!
    Ban 2 1/2 's !!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------
    Some Oooold Pics. All Natural. More to come soon...Still all natural

Rep Points

I don't drink it before working out but, I consume 4-6 cups daily and I'm in the best shape of my life.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcake1 View Post
    I don't drink it before working out but, I consume 4-6 cups daily and I'm in the best shape of my life.
    why so much coffee?
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Rep Points

Because I love it, naturally. Never touch sodas, just water and coffee.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Well of course you love it. I love pizza but I don't eat it several times a day.

What I am getting at is - have you considered the possibility of caffiene dependency and adrenal "burnout" from drinking that much coffee?

Not trying to rain on your parade.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Rep Points

what's "adrenal burnout"

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Go off coffee cold turkey one day and you'll find out.

I was like that my junior year of college and when I stopped drinking coffee I could barely move for like 3-4 days. I just slept like 14 hours a day.
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Rep Points

I also drink around 4 cups of coffee a day, and have been doing so on and off for the past few years.

There had been a few times when I quit cold turkey for a couple of weeks to see its effect on my overall health. When I hadn't noticed too much of a difference I went back.

This summer I got a physically demanding fulltime job at a door factory. I gave up coffee, cold turkey (from 4 cups daily) so I could work everyday using "real" energy. I didn't notice a difference and for some reason went through no withdrawal. I've since started drinking it again.

It is concerning to read some of these arguments on its negative impact on the adrenal gland. My question is, after it "burns it out" or depletes it, does quitting such a high caffeine intake return it to normal? Or is it forever damaged?

Some doctors argue the caffeine in coffee impact is negligible and has no affect on the adrenal glands. Always two sides to the coin, hmm..

I also read the adrenal glands can be part responsible for water retention. So can having a fatigued adrenal gland cause higher water retention?

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

fufu's 1337 Journal

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by danzik17 View Post
    Go off coffee cold turkey one day and you'll find out.

I was like that my junior year of college and when I stopped drinking coffee I could barely move for like 3-4 days. I just slept like 14 hours a day.
    Addiction to coffee is one of my greatest concerns. It happens unnoticeably and very soon.

"King of Cheat Meals"

Rep Points

I like a good caffeine spike....If I quit cold turkey the most I get is a mild headache.
    Ban 2 1/2 's !!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------
    Some Oooold Pics. All Natural. More to come soon...Still all natural

Rep Points

Hey fufu, comparing pizza(probably the unhealthiest food on the planet to coffee) is baseless. I read the article on adrenal burnout and noticed more mention of vigorous exercise as a cause than caffeine. If that's true I guess we're all in trouble. At any rate I have been on and off coffee for 25 years and while I do notice some minor withdrawal symptoms without it(mild headache, irratibility), my energy level remains the same.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hey fufu, comparing pizza(probably the unhealthiest food on the planet to coffee) is baseless. I read the article on adrenal burnout and noticed more mention of vigorous exercise as a cause than caffeine. If that's true I guess we're all in trouble. At any rate I have been on and off coffee for 25 years and while I do notice some minor withdrawal symptoms without it(mild headache, irratibility), my energy level remains the same.
    You totally missed my comparison.

My point was just because you love something doesn't mean it is healthy consume/do it everyday.

It seems you are preoccupied finding points to disagree on.

I never said you would suffer from adrenal burnout, I just asked if you had considered the possibility.

No further comment.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Hey bud. I was concerned with my amount of coffee intake. I have a few questions about that write-up. They call Alcohol a stimulant and say it will lead to adrenal burnout. That simply can't be true.

Also, I am a coffee addict. I need it to function properly. Is there a certain amount that experts say is within a healthy range of consumption?

The symptoms of adrenal burnout are vague. How would I know if I am falling victim? I don't seem to have energy problems at the gym.
    Fucking Determined!

Rep Points

I only disagreed because too much unproven nutritional information is going around these days and coffee has been on the hit list for 30 years. Sorry about seeming argumentative but I hadn't had my coffee yet!

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I only disagreed because too much unproven nutritional information is going around these days and coffee has been on the hit list for 30 years. Sorry about seeming argumentative but I hadn't had my coffee yet!
    Coffee has been around for more than 1000 years. Coffee has fueled the hopes and dreams of champions. Give me coffee or give me death.
    Fucking Determined!

Rep Points

nuff said Dr. I gotta get a pot going right now.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Hey bud. I was concerned with my amount of coffee intake. I have a few questions about that write-up. They call Alcohol a stimulant and say it will lead to adrenal burnout. That simply can't be true.

Also, I am a coffee addict. I need it to function properly. Is there a certain amount that experts say is within a healthy range of consumption?

The symptoms of adrenal burnout are vague. How would I know if I am falling victim? I don't seem to have energy problems at the gym.
    Yeah that bit can't be true, sorry for posting a shitty article. Although I don't doubt chronic alcohol consumption would be a contributing factor.

As far as dosage, that is subjective to the individual like most things. I really don't know.

Alot of people have their endocrine regulation all out of whack. It's often already off rhythm, people take substance X to replace down regulation of substance Y, then they need substance B for the residual affects of substance X, then over time they creates a need for substance A.

I think it is a good idea for people to be aware of what they put in their body chronically.

Like I said earlier, there are many small factors that shouldn't be addressed because one would just go compulsively insane over time. Somethings, however, can play a pretty big picture.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Maybe not the best article on the subject, but generally what I have seen.

Caffeine Can Decrease Insulin Sensitivity in Humans -- Keijzers et al. 25 (2): 364 -- Diabetes Care

and this might not be entirely applicable re: coffee and hypertrophy because they discuss caffeine used in conjunction with ephedrine and aspirin, but not a completely wasted read.

Muscle Growth and Fat Loss by Stimulating the Beta-Agonist System - The Role of Ephedrine, Caffeine, and Aspirin

I love coffee. In my business, I sometimes cannot live without it. But I have noticed negative effects over the years, ranging from reduced insulin sensitivity/interference with "weight" loss, to a sort of toxicity/overload after consuming large quantities (3-4 cups per day or more) for an extended period of time.

Rep Points

Found this interesting.

Coffee Health - Coffee Risk

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Most of you probably know this, but for the newbs: insulin resistance is HELPFUL while cutting. You WANT it. It's part of how the EC stack works - by inducing insulin resistance, you have a harder time storing muscle glycogen - which means what glucose you have is available for the brain, and your muscles have to "switch tanks" and look elsewhere for energy to burn: fat stores.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Most of you probably know this, but for the newbs: insulin resistance is HELPFUL while cutting. You WANT it. It's part of how the EC stack works - by inducing insulin resistance, you have a harder time storing muscle glycogen - which means what glucose you have is available for the brain, and your muscles have to "switch tanks" and look elsewhere for energy to burn: fat stores.
    Would you willingly induce insulin resistance to your body just for cutting? Sounds hard and unhealthy. Also, I haven't seen any data that proves insulin resistance results in greater weight loss.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Insulin resistance is what happens automatically when you diet. It's temporary - not the same thing as the kind that happens from poor lifestyle. Read Lyle McDonald for more on this.

Lyle McDonald Jamie Hale Diet Interview

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Gotcha, I thought you were actually talking about eating crappy foods and using supplements to artificially create it.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post
    Gotcha, I thought you were actually talking about eating crappy foods and using supplements to artificially create it.
    We were. Well, supplements at least. EC, hell even GH induces insulin resistance. That's how they work.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Did I just confuse insulin sensitivity with insulin resistance?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I don't think so. Insulin resistance is decreased insulin sensitivity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast