Neutral Grip Pull Ups

Rep Points

Neutral Grip Pull Ups

Do neutral grip pull ups work the forearms muscles the same way that hammer curls do?

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Probably not, since they are different movements entirely.

The foreams are obviously still involved with both movements. Probably moreso during pullups due to the increased load.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Short answer: yes.

The brachialis and especially the brachioradialis function as elbow flexors in semi-supination.

The isometric radial deviation during hammer curls is hardly a forearm workout so that's irrelevant.

Long answer: no, not exactly. The relative and absolute load is different.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post

The brachialis and especially the brachioradialis function as elbow flexors in semi-supination.

The isometric radial deviation during hammer curls is hardly a forearm workout so that's irrelevant.

woah

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

You took the words right out of the mouth of the professor who will teach me this shit some time this year.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Thanks for the info!

Really? Hammer Curls are listed here as a forearm exercise.

Another question: In a upper/lower split, where would farmer's walks fit better?

Fitness Celebrity

Rep Points

I'd say upper, since they stress your grip a lot, and it takes a lot of upper body strength to stabilize the load.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The brachialis is active during all elbow flexion movements since it attaches to the ulna, which doesn't affect its length in either pronation or supination (since the radius is the bone which does the moving while the ulna stays fixed). I think you mean to say biceps brachii, which attaches to the tuberosity of the radius and the biceps aponurosis and is an elbow flexor and assists in supination of the forearm.

Hammer curls are a forearm exercise (as well as an biceps exercise due to the elbow flexion) because, not only is their isometric action taking place, there are several wrist flexors and extensors which assist in elbow flexion...several of them attach at the epicondyles of the humerus (lateral epicondyle for the extensors, the brachioradialis and the supinator and medial epicondyle for the flexors, pronator teres and palmaris longus), which allows them to do this.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

oh yea....and I would put farmer walks in my leg workout.

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Best forearm work, hands-down: cleans.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

mmmm....true story.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by kiko View Post
    Really? Hammer Curls are listed here as a forearm exercise.
    I said it was a forearm workout because of the forearm muscles that work to flex the elbow, but the forearm muscles that radially deviate the wrist are largely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk View Post
    The brachialis is active during all elbow flexion movements since it attaches to the ulna, which doesn't affect its length in either pronation or supination (since the radius is the bone which does the moving while the ulna stays fixed). I think you mean to say biceps brachii, which attaches to the tuberosity of the radius and the biceps aponurosis and is an elbow flexor and assists in supination of the forearm.
    No, I didn't mean the biceps.

Do neutral grip pull ups work the forearms muscles the same way that hammer curls do? was the question.
    I said the brachialis and the brachioradialis function as elbow flexors during semi-supination. I didn't discuss what happens during full supination because hammer curls and ng pull-ups are both performed semi-supinated. Thus it wasn't relevant for the comparison.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Best forearm work, hands-down: cleans.
    nothing quite hits my forearms like a few sets of static holds.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Those too. I often jump up and just hang from the frame of the cage between sets of squats. Stretches out my back, too.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Wrist rolls.