• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

McCain takes 5-point lead over Obama

ZECH

Founder of GOSB
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
McCain takes 5-point lead over Obama - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com

updated 8:31 a.m. ET, Wed., Aug. 20, 2008
WASHINGTON - In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

McCain leads Obama among likely U.S. voters by 46 percent to 41 percent, wiping out Obama's solid 7-point advantage in July and taking his first lead in the monthly Reuters/Zogby poll.

The reversal follows a month of attacks by McCain, who has questioned Obama's experience, criticized his opposition to most new offshore oil drilling and mocked his overseas trip.

Story continues below â??????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The poll was taken Thursday through Saturday as Obama wrapped up a weeklong vacation in Hawaii that ceded the political spotlight to McCain, who seized on Russia's invasion of Georgia to emphasize his foreign policy views.

"There is no doubt the campaign to discredit Obama is paying off for McCain right now," pollster John Zogby said. "This is a significant ebb for Obama."

McCain now has a 9-point edge, 49 percent to 40 percent, over Obama on the critical question of who would be the best manager of the economy -- an issue nearly half of voters said was their top concern in the November 4 presidential election.

That margin reversed Obama's 4-point edge last month on the economy over McCain, an Arizona senator and former Vietnam prisoner of war who has admitted a lack of economic expertise and shows far greater interest in foreign and military policy.

McCain has been on the offensive against Obama during the last month over energy concerns, with polls showing strong majorities supporting his call for an expansion of offshore oil drilling as gasoline prices hover near $4 a gallon.

Obama had opposed new offshore drilling, but said recently he would support a limited expansion as part of a comprehensive energy program.

That was one of several recent policy shifts for Obama, as he positions himself for the general election battle. But Zogby said the changes could be taking a toll on Obama's support, particularly among Democrats and self-described liberals.

Video

Republicans for Obama
Aug. 19: A Hardball panel debates: How many Republicans will vote for Barack Obama in November?
Hardball

"That hairline difference between nuance and what appears to be flip-flopping is hurting him with liberal voters," Zogby said.

Obama's support among Democrats fell 9 percentage points this month to 74 percent, while McCain has the backing of 81 percent of Republicans. Support for Obama, an Illinois senator, fell 12 percentage points among liberals, with 10 percent of liberals still undecided compared to 9 percent of conservatives.

Obama needs to work on base
"Conservatives were supposed to be the bigger problem for McCain," Zogby said. "Obama still has work to do on his base. At this point McCain seems to be doing a better job with his."

The dip in support for Obama, who would be the first black U.S. president, cut across demographic and ideological lines. He slipped among Catholics, born-again Christians, women, independents and younger voters. He retained the support of more than 90 percent of black voters.

Video

McCain â?????? â?????Go toâ?????? guy on Russia
Aug. 19: A new Quinnipiac poll shows that 55 percent of the American people feel John McCain is better equipped than Barack Obama to handle Russia.
Hardball

"There were no wild swings, there isn't one group that is radically different than last month or even two months ago. It was just a steady decline for Obama across the board," Zogby said.

Obama's support among voters between the ages of 18 and 29, which had been one of his strengths, slipped 12 percentage points to 52 percent. McCain, who will turn 72 next week, was winning 40 percent of younger voters.

"Those are not the numbers Obama needs to win," Zogby said about Americans under 30. The 47-year-old is counting on a strong turnout among young voters, a key bloc of support during his primary battle with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton.

It made little difference when independent candidate Ralph Nader and Libertarian Party candidate Bob Barr, who are both trying to add their names to state ballots.

McCain still held a 5-point edge over Obama, 44 percent to 39 percent, when all four names were included. Barr earned 3 percent and Nader 2 percent.

truthfully, I think the idea of Obama would be good. He's young and has some interesting ideas. I'd have voted for him when I was a teacher.

Now, I cant, as a small business man. Obama wants to harmus with the taxes. I dont understand what he thinks he wants to do the small biz owners. McCain has a better understanding.

Also, unfortunately, I dont think the world is ready for an African American president. There is still too much hatred towards other races. It isnt going to happen, regardless of whether Hillary runs with him or not.

Oh great, now someone who has admitted to knowing nothing about the economy with a likely financial advisor that is responsible for the creation of the Enron loophole and was a lobbyist for UBS is said to be "better for the economy".

This isn't going to be another 4 years of corruption and idiocy, no sir.

McCain campaign strategy seems to be working. The managers of the campaign seem to be doing well at strategy.

11 weeks in an election campaign can be a long time, so we'll see if the number holds, the gap narrows, or the gap widens.

As for polls, the electoral college needs to be taken into account.

This election really isn't about McCain. It's a referendum on Obama.

I'm still holding out hope that there's a "whitey tape" waiting to surface... I actually wouldn't be surprised if it came out this week from the Clintons...Right before the conventions... flips everything & they nominate her.

Wouldn't that be a hoot. :D

I'm still holding out hope that there's a "whitey tape" waiting to surface... I actually wouldn't be surprised if it came out this week from the Clintons...Right before the conventions... flips everything & they nominate her.

Wouldn't that be a hoot. :D
Or a "Blackie tape" let's be fare, he is half white.

This election really isn't about McCain. It's a referendum on Obama.

I see it as an election between 2 candidates.

Maybe as Obama was vying for the nomination it could have been construed as a "referendum."

But now, I see it as a choice between 2 candidates.

Obama just got back from vacation, now that he's back out kissing hands and shaking babies people will start swooning everytime they hear him speak in public and his ratings will bump[ back up......plus this Russia debacle has our national cowards running to the "tough on foreign policy" guy....

Obama just got back from vacation, now that he's back out kissing hands and shaking babies people will start swooning everytime they hear him speak in public and his ratings will bump[ back up......plus this Russia debacle has our national cowards running to the "tough on foreign policy" guy....

Yep that is the thing they say is giving McCain a bump. Most see him as a better leader toward national security

Yep that is the thing they say is giving McCain a bump. Most see him as a better leader toward national security

conservatism=national security
liberalism=france

Back