IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

How Nintendo got me officially Wii Fit

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Exclamation How Nintendo got me officially Wii Fit

How Nintendo got me officially Wii Fit | Digital Home | TechRadar UK

How Nintendo got me officially Wii Fit
    Staying at home has never been so healthy
    Thursday at 10:42 BST | Tell us what you think [ 0 comments ]

Playing games is good for you. No, really
    Zoom
    After a few months of using Nintendo's Wii Fit, my BMI has now dropped into the golden 'Ideal' zone. It's all thanks to a stay-at-home fitness regime that encompasses some easy yoga, jogging, virtual boxing and Wii Sports tennis. I can even watch TV while doing a 20-minute step aerobic workout – it's just like being at the gym, but without the monthly subscription.

Nintendo's Wii Fit is an oddity. Albeit a wildly successful one. I live outside the city, so I could actually 'go outside' and run around the block. Or I could play real tennis. With real people. Nintendo games legend Shigeru Miyamoto agrees. Wii Fit is still a videogame after all:

"Spending too long, staying in and playing any video game is not good," he said. "I always tell my children to get out on a sunny day and I, myself, went jogging in Central Park yesterday. But I do my stretching on Wii Fit. They work together."

Working out with Wii Fit

You could argue that Wii Fit is just a natural evolution of fitness videos. In the UK, the £70 cost of the Nintendo Balance Board will buy you DVD workouts from the likes of Nell McAndrew, Davina McCall and Darcy Bussell. And you'd still have money left over for a generous supply of SlimFast shakes.

But in the modern digital home, Wii Fit has its advantages. With a Wii Fit regime you can exercise at your own pace, choosing your own set of workouts and activities. There's an endless supply of virtual characters to play against and they're always up for a game. Encouragement is always available too, whether it's the virtual cheering from the onscreen Miis or the urge to beat one of your recent Wii Fit high scores.

And on days when it's raining, exercising doesn't have to be miserable. You might feel a little stupid running on the spot as you jog through Wii Fit's 20-minute Island Lap, but at least you're running. Wii Fit's biggest strength is that it's interactive. Davina and Nell don't know if you've actually been exercising with them. Wii Fit does.

Nintendo is winning the console war

Wii Fit highlights why the Nintendo Wii has been so successful against the PS3 and Xbox 360. Nintendo's console is reinventing the way we play games.

Solidly built, the Balance Board is a strange combination of bathroom scales and foot-operated d-pad. Yet it feels far more professional and responsive than the old PS2 dance mats that came before it. While the games (or in this case, the exercises in disguise) are interactive, upgradeable and far more varied.

Lots of people seem to agree. Wii Fit recently jumped back up to the top of the gaming charts, while gyms in the US have been quick to spot its faddish fitness potential (and charge idiots to use it).

What can Nintendo do to follow it up? Another disc of exercises and balance games is a given, while some sort of Wii Fit treadmill would be an obvious future upgrade...

By Dean Evans

Esprit de Corps
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

My WIfe and I have Wii Fit. It's actually pretty fun. Like any form of exercise, you'll get out of it what you put into it.
    NEVER write a check with your mouth that you can't cash with your ASS!!

I can run faster mad than you can scared

"All right brain... I don't like you and you don't like me. So let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer" ~ Homer Simpson

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witmaster View Post
    My WIfe and I have Wii Fit. It's actually pretty fun. Like any form of exercise, you'll get out of it what you put into it.
    I'm getting it for my kids, a lot of people tell me it's really not that bad.

It can calculate your weight, it knows if your cheating and it also pushes you.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It is fun.

It is very easy to cheat on though.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IainDaniel View Post
    It is fun.

It is very easy to cheat on though.
    I'll keep an eye on them.

I heard it insults you if you fail.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yeah. Or if your weight goes it. Some of the translation to English isn't that great.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IainDaniel View Post
    Yeah. Or if your weight goes it. Some of the translation to English isn't that great.
    Like that?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Exactly