• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Bsn Cheaters Relief

zombul

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
This is another product I have been asked about alot lately. It's gonna be hard to really review a chitosan product without saying I ate and then I $h!t so it worked. However I am going to gather some info and keep this thread updated with personal use and research on the ingredients for those wanting to know. So keep an eye out and we'll get the scoop on this one.

BSN Cheaters Relief

Study Probes Weight Loss Supplement Chitosan

Miranda Hitti
Information from Industry
Assess clinically focused product information on Medscape.
Click Here for Product Infosites – Information from Industry.

Aug. 25, 2005 -- Researchers are still scratching their heads as to how effective the weight loss supplement chitosan is. Their findings appear in a new report.

Chitosan is made from chitin, which comes from the shells of shrimp, lobsters, and crab.

Researchers led by Cliona Ni Mhurchu, PhD, reviewed 14 studies on chitosan and weight loss. Writing in The Cochrane Library, they note "some evidence" that chitosan was more effective than a fake supplement for short-term weight loss.

But many of the trials were of "poor quality" and results varied, write the researchers.

Their bottom line: "Results obtained from high-quality trials indicate that the effect of chitosan on body weight is minimal and unlikely to be of clinical significance," write Ni Mhurchu and colleagues.

Review's Details

The review covered 14 studies with a total of more than 1,100 participants. All participants were adults; they were about 44 years old, on average. Three studies only included women.

Six of the studies were done in Italy. Others were done in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Singapore, New Zealand, Finland, and Poland.

In all of the studies, participants were given chitosan or a fake supplement (placebo). In eight studies, participants were also told to diet.

Chitosan doses and the studies' design, size, length, and quality varied. Some studies didn't report the chitosan dose used.

Findings Shifted

Overall, the data showed that people taking chitosan lost about 3.7 extra pounds and improved their blood pressure and cholesterol, compared with those taking the placebo.

But some of those results changed when the researchers took a closer look at the studies.

For instance, in trials lasting more than four weeks, people taking chitosan lost about 1.7 pounds more than those taking a placebo. For trials lasting up to four weeks, there was "substantial" variation in weight loss, write the researchers.

Looking only at high-quality trials lasting four weeks to six months, people taking chitosan instead of the placebo lost an extra 1.28 pounds. The researchers call that difference "minimal and therefore unlikely to be of clinical significance."

Tough Critics?

Three of the researchers had worked on one of the studies they reviewed.

The review was mainly funded by the Health Research Council of New Zealand, but some funds came from a chitosan maker, the researchers note.

They recommend that future studies last at least 24 weeks and provide more information on methods and outcomes.

The U.S. government does not check the safety, quality, or effectiveness of dietary supplements. The National Institutes of Health's Office of Dietary Supplements recommends that patients consult their doctors before taking any dietary supplements. People seeking to lose weight may consult doctors for guidance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Ni Mhurchu, C. The Cochrane Library, 2005; issue 3. Health Behavior News Service. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine: "What's In the Bottle? An Introduction to Dietary Supplements." National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements: "Dietary Supplements: Background Information."

Does Chitosan Really Absorb Fat?
Posting Date: 12/21/1999

Original Broadcast Date: August 31, 1999

Sylvia: Can you tell me something about the fat absorbing pills called Chitosan?

I have literature here saying that aside from being a diet aid, it's used for mopping up oil spills.

Dr. Dean: A goo that can mop up an oil spill must be mighty powerful, so I guess Madison Avenue thinks that you'll pay a lot of money to put it in your mouth and swallow it.

Chitosan is sold as the Fat Trapper and the Fat Burner. Its ads say it frees you to eat fried chicken, cheeseburgers, and even butter and sour cream without worrying about your weight. A lot of infomercials peddle it.

Chitosan is made from a chemical in crab shells that is capable of binding fat. I can tell you right now that the quantity in the pills isn't enough to make a significant difference in your ability to lose weight.

It might help lower cholesterol, but rather than take a bunch of pills you can do that in two seconds by pushing your cholesterol-loaded plate away.

I have a blurb from the Nutrition Action Health Letter saying that a handful of inconsistent studies on Chitosan can hardly be called an endorsement of its safety and effectiveness. The letter also warns that along with preventing fat absorption, Chitosan seems to prevent the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, like vitamins D and E.
They say that levels of vitamin E dropped sharply in laboratory rats, and the rats' bones lost calcium and minerals.
Another substance that blocks fat absorption in your intestines is Xenical. Xenical can cause oily stains because of bowel leakage.

Chitosan does bind a little fat, and its manufacturer puffs that into a big hype that is not scientifically verifiable. Any product that claims to "burn fat" - forget about it.

I've looked at the literature and I feel very secure about what I'm saying.

Back