Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Midnight snacking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rep Points

Question Midnight snacking?

Hey all,

I have always gotten up multiple times in the middle of the night to get something to drink or eat - usually at 3 and 5 or somewhere around there. I usually get juice or water to drink which I don't think is too bad, but what about food? I don't want to eat anything too bad since I'll still be sleeping for another few hours. What are some quality snacking foods that are easily accessible and not going to do any damage if I eat them early in the morning and then go back to sleep? My initial thought would be a bananna or something like that...but again I'm not really sure. Any experts out there with some advice? Thanks.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Exclamation

[QUOTE=h-townbadass; My initial thought would be a bananna or something like that...

I am far from an expert, but your 1st assumption is usually the right assumption. Fruits are always a good idea, and a real quick snack, so you can get back to sleep!

Rep Points

i usually eat right before bed to prevent this.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Are you looking for something that will increase satiety, or something that will help you gain weight?

What do you eat at bedtime?
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Yeah, I try to drink a protien shake before bed to combat this mid-night hunger, but occasionally I am still hungry, occasionally I forget my shake, and sometimes I just want something to munch on in the middle of the night...something to get some sort of taste in my mouth if that makes any sense.

In terms of goals, I am on a cut-phase right now so definitely don't want to eat anything that's going to add too much bulk if I do eat in the middle of the night, but I run through banannas pretty quickly if I eat one everyother night. Anything other ideas? Preferably something that is easy to open and eat so I can get back to sleep. Low carb protien bar maybe?

thanks again

Rep Points

Before I go to bed I make sure I have ate all my cals for the day. Now if I wake up in the middle of the night and have a craving ill usually eat some deli, cottage cheese, or 2 cups of milk and ill count those cals for the next day, but this rarely happens for me any more.
    Last edited by JailHouse; 10-03-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Weird suggestion, but I'll offer it - hubby has his fish oil capsules at night. Kills his hunger and he sleeps through the night.

Also, be sure to have protein at bedtime. Do you like cottage cheese? If you had a cup of lowfat cottage cheese and 10 fish oil capsules at bedtime, I bet you'd sleep right through the night.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

What about brushing your nasty teeth before going back to bed. Don't let your dentist know what you are doing.

Rep Points

1 C cottage cheese and 1 Tbsp of natty PB right before bed usually does it for me

sometimes i find just sucking back some water when you wake up hungry in the middle of the night is enough to curb your appetite long enough to go back to sleep for a few hours

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Arrow

Being that you are on a cutting phase right now, no wonder your always hungry! Continue with your protein shakes, if you must eat, try something light befor bed. The suggestions here were pretty good!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Cottage Cheese works for me. I'm going to try the fish oil suggestion too.

How much is "10 fish oil capsules" in mg's?

Rep Points

Well looks like most people here seem to agree that cottage cheese is the way to go...I'm definitely a fan so I'll give that a shot. I think sticking to a shake before bed will curb most of these cravings though.

Built - what about the fish capsules you mentioned - what is the purpose of them? Do they strictly curb your hunger or do they serve another purpose?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

They contain long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid - a type that oxidizes rapidly and is associated with enhancing satiety. Also, EPA/DHA can improve insulin sensitivity, as well as reducing joint inflammation due to arthritis. Brain function also requires EPA/DHA. In short, the stuff's cheap and good for you. The American Heart Association states that 3g of combined EPA/DHA (the amount contained in 10g of ordinary fish oil capsules) is safe to take without a doctor's supervision, so that's what I feel safe in recommending.

Can you describe your current cutting diet? Calories, grams protein, carb and fat, meal timing...

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

Before I get too far I should probably mention that I picked up a bottle of Clen 2 weeks ago and am currently using this (along with a small amount of t3) in order to aid me in my cutting process.

As far as my diet goes, I'm trying to cut my calories fairly low and stay close to 1000 - 1200 a day. I have been laying off the carbs as much as possible as well. A typical day would be breakfast around 7:30, snack/shake mid morining, lunch at noon, sometimes a snack around 3, and dinner no later than 8, but usually closer to 7 - 7:30.

Here is my breakdown:
    Fats:~40
    Carbs:~150
    Protein:~150

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by h-townbadass View Post
    Before I get too far I should probably mention that I picked up a bottle of Clen 2 weeks ago and am currently using this (along with a small amount of t3) in order to aid me in my cutting process.

As far as my diet goes, I'm trying to cut my calories fairly low and stay close to 1000 - 1200 a day. I have been laying off the carbs as much as possible as well. A typical day would be breakfast around 7:30, snack/shake mid morining, lunch at noon, sometimes a snack around 3, and dinner no later than 8, but usually closer to 7 - 7:30.

Here is my breakdown:
    Fats:~40
    Carbs:~150
    Protein:~150
    • First up - something's wrong with your math if you think this totals to 1000-1200 calories per day. I get 1560 when I do the math. ???
    • Second - why sooooo low in the cals? If you're going THIS low, why not drop the carbs below 100 and raise protein?
    • Third - why don't you eat after 8PM - do you go to bed really early or something?
    • Fourth - how much do you weigh, and what anabolic will you be running with the T3 so you don't lose size?

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

im out like a fucking rock when i sleep...
    i have to make sure im in a comfortable position, cause i literally dont move from the moment my eyelids close to the second i wake, and i consistently wake up mere seconds before my alarm goes off...

though i do wake up very hungry
    fish oil/pb and slow protein sounds like your best bet
    5'11"
    ~175lbs
    8% on elec. analyzer

Rep Points

if your not likely to choke on them in your slumberly daze, i might suggest some peanuts for a sleepwalkers snack
    5'11"
    ~175lbs
    8% on elec. analyzer

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    • First up - something's wrong with your math if you think this totals to 1000-1200 calories per day. I get 1560 when I do the math. ???
    • Second - why sooooo low in the cals? If you're going THIS low, why not drop the carbs below 100 and raise protein?
    • Third - why don't you eat after 8PM - do you go to bed really early or something?
    • Fourth - how much do you weigh, and what anabolic will you be running with the T3 so you don't lose size?
    I am currently about 200 lb. My math may be off, I used this site Fitday to calculate my totals but I am not extremely hardcore about being exact about my cals per day.

After doing a little research, a lot of people said that I should do some sort of calorie deficit while on clen/t3, so I was shooting for around 1000 - 1500, is this too low? I also thought that I was supposed to limit my carb intake after 7 or 8, is this also untrue?

I recently came off a cycle of test prop about 3 - 4 weeks ago, so I have some definite added size and am willing to lose some of it in order to cut down to were I want to be - around 180 - 190 with a fairly low BF%.

I am keeping a log of sorts under the journal section...it's not too in depth but I am keeping some pictures if that helps at all. Let me know your analysis if you have a few minutes. Thanks for the help so far.

-Max

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hey there

Okay, there is no need whatsoever to limit carbs at any time of the day while cutting - other than for the perfectly valid purpose of appetite suppression. That's what I do.

You don't need to run your calories SO low - but if you do, may I recommend PSMF so you don't lose all your size? You'll drop FAST and it suppresses hunger tremendously, especially considering the deficit.

On a deficit, you really need an anabolic with T3. Clen won't cut it. You operate on these low calories like you're running, with protein as low as you have it, T3, no anabolic and toss in some exercise and you've got a recipe for a stringy body in a few months.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I am cutting and I have my last meal of the day be the biggest one so I don't get hunger pangs during the night.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Rep Points

Interesting strategy. I couldn't hack it, I'm NEVER hungry in the evenings no matter what. In the mornings I'm always starving...I have to eat a big breakfast and no matter what, 2 hours later I'm hungry.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

What do you eat for breakfast - protein and carb?

I'll offer you a weird suggestion: avocado, tuna and cottage cheese. Knock back a few fish oil capsules with water first, then my weird suggestion. I do half a tin of tuna, half an avocado and about a cup of cottage cheese.

You're bigger than me, adjust accordingly. NO STARCHES OR FRUIT with this. Save them for the meal before and or the meal after you lift.

When I eat this in the AM, my appetite is OFF for HOURS.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

I don't think midnight snacking is good except for pregnant women. Drinking water is good anytime.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Midnight snacking can alter your body's natural sleep processes. Your body is primed for sleep, not for digesting food.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You got anything to back up your assertion, fufu?

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Nope, but there was a mod here named Trouble about a year ago. She made a lot of posts in this subject. She had a PhD in molecular biology, among other things. She had the most credentials of anyone I've ever come into contact with on the internet. She was very forward and thorough about aspects of food consumption and its affect on sleep efficiency. If you do a search you may be able to find something.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

btw, by midnight snacking I am not referring to the affects of food consumed at midnight (which means nothing out of context), but rather waking up in the middle of the night and eating.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Nope, but there was a mod here named Trouble about a year ago. She made a lot of posts in this subject. She had a PhD in molecular biology, among other things. She had the most credentials of anyone I've ever come into contact with on the internet. She was very forward and thorough about aspects of food consumption and its affect on sleep efficiency. If you do a search you may be able to find something.
    That's awesome, and no offense, but you're the one making the assertion - the onus is on you to back up your own assertion.

It's just good manners.

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    btw, by midnight snacking I am not referring to the affects of food consumed at midnight (which means nothing out of context), but rather waking up in the middle of the night and eating.
    I'll look forward to reading something on why this is bad. As of this moment, I see no reason why it would be.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

Wouldn't the same poor consequences of "midnight snacking" also apply to those who eat substantial meals right before bed?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Considering I always eat a meal before I go to bed, I'd like to know what those poor consequences are!

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast