NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

DB Shoulder press question

Rep Points

DB Shoulder press question

I've always performed DB shoulder presses with a full range of motion, going all the way up and then all the way down:

Yesterday a trainer at my gym told me only to lower my arms until they reach 90 degrees, which is much easier, but the trainer says that doing any more than that is useless. Is he right? Should i start doing it like he said or should i keep on doing it like the exrx example shows?

VandelayIndustries

Rep Points

I dont know, I hope not.

I go down farther every time. I think it puts more stress on the shoulder joint, and maybe when u go further down it hits different muscles besides the delts?

I dunno. Im curious to hear the answer to this. btw, I mainly do standing dumbell/barbell presses.

Rep Points

i perfer to do shoulder press arnold style

this seems to be less discomforting
    and just as or more effective
    5'11"
    ~175lbs
    8% on elec. analyzer

Rep Points

5'11"
    ~175lbs
    8% on elec. analyzer

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Did he give an explanation at all?

In his context, he is incorrect. There is no reason to stop at 90 degrees. IMO that is a very false ROM. I always bring the weight down below my chin.

What is the reason for doing overhead presses?

-To strengthen yourself in the movement.

Why not strengthen yourself through a large ROM than a shorter one? To me, a strength through larger ranges of motion indicates truer strength.

If you ever were to overhead press anything in real life, the weight wouldn't start at 90 degrees. Sure, you can play with shorter ROM's to overload the muscle time to time, but there are several other, and IMO more efficient ways of doing that. Generally, people should practice movements in their entire range of motion, because that is the nature of the movement.

That trainer sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. He should provide reasoning to his suggestions. Understanding your job is, well, part of the job. Maybe people who have limited shoulder health should not bring it down all the way, but I don't think the trainer assessed you for anything of the sort. So like I said, considering the context, he is wrong.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Rep Points

that was the reasoning behind my suggestion

by changing the wrist orientation, you can bring the weight much lower without strain...

however when i do barbell shoulder press, i still bring the weight much lower
    past my chin

the angle on my elbows must be around 50 degrees..
    well past 90

if your experience any discomfort, that is a different story, but if you are training with proper form and good weight, all the way down would be a superior execution
    5'11"
    ~175lbs
    8% on elec. analyzer

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Did he give an explanation at all?

In his context, he is incorrect. There is no reason to stop at 90 degrees. IMO that is a very false ROM. I always bring the weight down below my chin.

What is the reason for doing overhead presses?

-To strengthen yourself in the movement.

Why not strengthen yourself through a large ROM than a shorter one? To me, a strength through larger ranges of motion indicates truer strength.

If you ever were to overhead press anything in real life, the weight wouldn't start at 90 degrees. Sure, you can play with shorter ROM's to overload the muscle time to time, but there are several other, and IMO more efficient ways of doing that. Generally, people should practice movements in their entire range of motion, because that is the nature of the movement.

That trainer sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. He should provide reasoning to his suggestions. Understanding your job is, well, part of the job. Maybe people who have limited shoulder health should not bring it down all the way, but I don't think the trainer assessed you for anything of the sort. So like I said, considering the context, he is wrong.

I see too many people in my gym doing half presses, half squats, or half of any thing they can. It does piss me off.

Rep Points

ive always liked the half bench press

where the elbows dont even hit 90degrees
    while other guys are bouncing the bar off their ribs
    5'11"
    ~175lbs
    8% on elec. analyzer