• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Flying car dream come true

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
California company says its flying car will be a sci-fi dream come true

BY OREN YANIV
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 10:37 PM

Forget congestion pricing. The ultimate solution for rush-hour gridlock may be flying cars.

A California-based company says it's ready to put a such a thing on the road - and up in the air - within two years.

Moller International's Autovolantor is based on the Ferrari 599 GTB. It features eight mounted engines that can thrust it skyward above other idling autos.

"Who hasn't been frustrated sitting in traffic and wanted to just take off and fly over everybody else?" said Bruce Calkins, general manager of the company.

Moller, based outside Sacramento, specializes in vertical takeoff and landing aircraft.

A wealthy Russian man recently asked Moller to modify its know-how and help him overcome Moscow's notorious traffic jams.

"At first, we were very skeptical," said Paul Moller, the company's chairman. But as they started testing, "We were surprised by how practical it became."

New hybrid technology allows for using a battery to produce the energy boost needed for liftoff without compromising the car's fuel economy, Moller said.

To hop over a roadblock, the driver would pop open four small wings that help propel and then stabilize the vehicle in midair. The car can hover above ground for 15 minutes or so, reaching up to 100 mph and 2,500 feet.

"Since the vehicle is so stable, a 10-year-old can fly this machine," Moller said. Of course, the child couldn't legally drive anywhere.

The company estimates that producing a prototype would cost $3 million plus additional costs for testing. The car's price would be much lower, of course.

The potential Russian investor has yet to accept the proposal, but Moller said other suitors are out there.

He is convinced that flying cars will no longer be confined to sci-fi flicks in the near future.

"That's an absolute guarantee," he said. "The technology is going forward in leaps and bounds."

oyaniv@nydailynews.com

BY OREN YANIV
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 10:37 PM

Forget congestion pricing. The ultimate solution for rush-hour gridlock may be flying cars.

A California-based company says it's ready to put a such a thing on the road - and up in the air - within two years.

Moller International's Autovolantor is based on the Ferrari 599 GTB. It features eight mounted engines that can thrust it skyward above other idling autos.

"Who hasn't been frustrated sitting in traffic and wanted to just take off and fly over everybody else?" said Bruce Calkins, general manager of the company.

Moller, based outside Sacramento, specializes in vertical takeoff and landing aircraft.

A wealthy Russian man recently asked Moller to modify its know-how and help him overcome Moscow's notorious traffic jams.

"At first, we were very skeptical," said Paul Moller, the company's chairman. But as they started testing, "We were surprised by how practical it became."

New hybrid technology allows for using a battery to produce the energy boost needed for liftoff without compromising the car's fuel economy, Moller said.

To hop over a roadblock, the driver would pop open four small wings that help propel and then stabilize the vehicle in midair. The car can hover above ground for 15 minutes or so, reaching up to 100 mph and 2,500 feet.

"Since the vehicle is so stable, a 10-year-old can fly this machine," Moller said. Of course, the child couldn't legally drive anywhere.

The company estimates that producing a prototype would cost $3 million plus additional costs for testing. The car's price would be much lower, of course.

The potential Russian investor has yet to accept the proposal, but Moller said other suitors are out there.

He is convinced that flying cars will no longer be confined to sci-fi flicks in the near future.

"That's an absolute guarantee," he said. "The technology is going forward in leaps and bounds."

oyaniv@nydailynews.com

Cool! I can imagine those would be very pricey. But, I would like to have one.:thumb:

I will be amazed if its street legal and ready to fly, otherwise its a conversion car that has failed time and time again.

YouTube Video

From Modern Marvels, some spanish dude speaks over it and i couldn't find English.

Though it sounds cool, i worry about traffic accidents if this technology becomes commercial.

Not only will you have to look right and left, youll have to look up aswell. Shits gonna happen.

Awesome idea though.

Though it sounds cool, i worry about traffic accidents if this technology becomes commercial.

Not only will you have to look right and left, youll have to look up aswell. Shits gonna happen.

Awesome idea though.
There's so much vertical space you would only have to worry about hitting another vehicle on approach and take off......Plus Collision Detection is already a reality, they may even have Auto Pilot so you can play video games on your way to work or back home and then you can pause your game and then transfer that game in progress to your home TV.....

There's so much vertical space you would only have to worry about hitting another vehicle on approach and take off......Plus Collision Detection is already a reality, they may even have Auto Pilot so you can play video games on your way to work or back home and then you can pause your game and then transfer that game in progress to your home TV.....

Good point. And you make this sound cooler than I had already thought!

Badass collision detection would be a must i think.

Look how often idiot drivers kill pedestrians by driving onto pavements and stuff, i just have images in my head of cars falling out of the sky and smooshing me :p.

Would be good to implement this technology JUST for police and emergency services also. I think that would be a great asset to society. High speed chases would be over quicker, ambulances wouldnt get caught up in traffic, fire engines on the scene quicker etc.

Badass collision detection would be a must i think.

Look how often idiot drivers kill pedestrians by driving onto pavements and stuff, i just have images in my head of cars falling out of the sky and smooshing me :p.

Would be good to implement this technology JUST for police and emergency services also. I think that would be a great asset to society. High speed chases would be over quicker, ambulances wouldnt get caught up in traffic, fire engines on the scene quicker etc.
There would have to be measures taken just like today not just any shithead can jump in a plane and fly it they have to have special instruction and so would a flying car driver....here in Hawaii we could remove a lot of risk by making the flight path over the waterways and then have landing docks that merge right onto roadways. Of course there will have to be some kind of air trafic control and probably ballons acting as sky bouys with messages like All southbound traffic set altitude to 1000ft, etc....

There would have to be measures taken just like today not just any shithead can jump in a plane and fly it they have to have special instruction and so would a flying car driver....here in Hawaii we could remove a lot of risk by making the flight path over the waterways and then have landing docks that merge right onto roadways. Of course there will have to be some kind of air trafic control and probably ballons acting as sky bouys with messages like All southbound traffic set altitude to 1000ft, etc....

If they can manage to keep the price affordable on this, it could really help ease the everyday congestion, we call traffic. Not to mention the motor companies opportunities to create a new product and create new jobs. it can also be beneficial to whom can conjure up a new form of highly functional alternative way to power a new vehicle. I don't know that's just me...
I can visualize good things on this, lots of possibilities.

I'll take all necessary courses to obtain a driver/pilots license, just keep the damn thing affordable.

IML Gear Cream!
Maybe we'll even be able to drive them with brain power alone.....

YouTube Video

Wow that's some futuristic stuff there... Tech. from Roswell.lol

Maybe someone could pull this off? I would like to think it can become somewhat available in my lifetime.. Imagine the quick jaunts to vegas or wherever, within a reasonable distance of course.
There is a show on Discovery, I think it's called Prototype This and they used the mind control sensors to sense when someone was having road rage and the car would go into Autopilot to make the driver have a timeout to cool down.....I didn't see the whole show but it seems they got it to work....

There is a show on Discovery, I think it's called Prototype This and they used the mind control sensors to sense when someone was having road rage and the car would go into Autopilot to make the driver have a timeout to cool down.....I didn't see the whole show but it seems they got it to work....

I guess this may be closer to becoming a reality.

I really don't see why not? I mean if we really went to and stepped foot on the moon, and landed a couple of rovers on mars, why not? Lord, we should have cars averaging 50-100mpg. Hell maybe it should make me toast and coffee too...

Back