• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Illusion Of Control

largepkg

Dookie
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
The majority of people believe they have much more control over situations then they actually do. Most would suggest they have complete control over their own actions and decisions.

IM'ers what do you think? Are you in control?

*Note* I couldn't handle another political thread although this issue could fall into the political realm easily.

In reality.... i do.

But i have to take into account the ramifications of my actions to determine that. So although outside sources impact my decision, i do have a final say, dependent on my take.

In reality.... i do.

But i have to take into account the ramifications of my actions to determine that. So although outside sources impact my decision, i do have a final say, dependent on my take.

Given your description of outside sources impacting your decisions would you say this is truly control?

Example, let's say you had important big plans with the family but something important came up at work that would hinder those plans. Yes, you could make either choice and still assume the illusion of control but either choice could effect you considerably. Isn't this the illusion?

guess it is dependent on your definition of control.

Seems to me you think control should be absolute

As long as you are have the choice then you are in control, it's when the choices no longer exist that control has been relinquished.....

Knowing the outcomes and making the decision that helps you maintain control over other factors in your life means that you are still in control.... Using the example above you may choose to continue with your family plans and lose your job which could have negative impacts on your future family plans and now you've lost more control than if you had just done what you had to to keep your job. It's like driving you can make slight corrections early before an obstacle or you can wait until you are right on top of the obstacle and make a major correction which could ultimately send you out of control.....

I guess. I have serious control issues that I've been working on. I've been given homework by my therapist. One of those things was to learn as much about the illusion of control as I could. Intellectually most of us know there are ramifications to our choices but we still make choices based on what we feel is the right choice because of control. It's hard for some to see the other perspective and this leaves control as the driving motivation.

I guess. I have serious control issues that I've been working on. I've been given homework by my therapist. One of those things was to learn as much about the illusion of control as I could. Intellectually most of us know there are ramifications to our choices but we still make choices based on what we feel is the right choice because of control. It's hard for some to see the other perspective and this leaves control as the driving motivation.
I was a control freak for the first 18 years of my life, then I learned that loosing control can be much more liberating......

I have control over very little, and I know this. However, I yearn for control. It is somewhat debilitating. So much of the time I feel like saying "fuck it, who cares", because I know that I have very little control over the situation, and I am tired of burning up energy beign pissed off about it. The only control I have is how I choose to feel about something, and even then it is a huge internal battle, and lose the battle against my impulses far too often.

So much suffering comes from thinking you have control, then finding out you don't. More suffering comes from wanting control, but not getting it.

I'll give you an example. I come back to the gym after a break. I take control of the situation and start makign decisions that will produce success. Success starts coming and my ego grows. I make tons and tons of improvement until finally my body can't take it and all sorts of injuries pop up. In this moment I realize how little control I have, and what little control I had is taken away. Now I am pissed off and brutally depressed for a bit.

Then I realize that the only control in this entire universe that I own exist in my thoughts. So I will take a step back, take a break, try to keep a good attitude, and wait to heal. I'll do it all over again.

studies in social psychology laugh at the concept of control. The illusion of control is there, but I assure you the overwhelming number of studies suggest that we have no choice or awareness of anything that we do.

studies in social psychology laugh at the concept of control. The illusion of control is there, but I assure you the overwhelming number of studies suggest that we have no choice or awareness of anything that we do.

I remember learning about similar things when I took psychology. The problem with psychology is it's total lack of philosophy.

What is control? When one claims they have control, what are they really saying?

IML Gear Cream!
The majority of people believe they have much more control over situations then they actually do. Most would suggest they have complete control over their own actions and decisions.

IM'ers what do you think? Are you in control?

Human existence is an illusion of control. The human condition is one in which we need to think we are in control of what happens, when we have very little in fact. That reality will drive most people insane, so we invent it to stay sane.

Even the most out of control is ordered through chaos....

Even the most out of control is ordered through chaos....

Why? Are you just throwing that out there because it sounds cool or are you attempting to some how connect human perceptions of control to deterministic chaos theory? I see no connection between the two on any "real world" practical level. Entropy rules all in the end. It's why humans assume everythig revolves around them until proven otherwise...It's why all humans invent religions where ever they are, a deep need to think something larger then themselves is actually controlling everything as the alternative is simply to distressing for them to fathom...

Why? Are you just throwing that out there because it sounds cool or are you attempting to some how connect human perceptions of control to deterministic chaos theory? I see no connection between the two on any "real world" practical level. Entropy rules all in the end. It's why humans assume everythig revolves around them until proven otherwise...It's why all humans invent religions where ever they are, a deep need to think something larger then themselves is actually controlling everything as the alternative is simply to distressing for them to fathom...
What is impractical about connecting the Universe with my perception of reality? I was simply saying that we are at the mercy of the butterflies flapping their wings in Tibet.....

What is impractical about connecting the Universe with my perception of reality? I was simply saying that we are at the mercy of the butterflies flapping their wings in Tibet.....

Works for me. ;)

it's about time someone had the balls to say it. Of course, you've exposed them now, so prepare for the wrath of the underground venutian mind control acorns. The cardboard company is just a cover.

If you exhale on three, you risk their eyes in your stew.
O O
O
O

Back