NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

HIIT on upper body days?

Rep Points

HIIT on upper body days?

This routine is from built. I took her information and put this together. Please add in some input, so i can possibly tweak it or keep it the same for my goals, etc...I want to perform HIIT 3 days a week, but i read that it's not good to do it on upper body days. I would like to do it on Day 1, because it would make things easy for me. Is this possible, or should i skip it?

Currently, I'm trying to cut body fat eating a little under maintenance and low carbs. Although, i have carbs pre and post workout.

Day 1

Barbell bent over row
    Seated cable rows
    Dumbbell rows

Chest

Bench press
    Incline flys
    Decline dumbbell press

HIIT for 15-18mins
    Abs
    standing calf raises. Short heavy

Day 2

Full squats
    deadlifts
    Leg press
    another leg machine

Biceps
    About 3 different exercises

Day 3

Pull

Lat pull downs
    pull overs

Push

Dumbbell press
    Standing barbell press
    Abs
    Seated calves, long sets

Day 4

Squats, lighter weight
    Deadlifts heavier weight
    Leg press
    another leg machine

Triceps
    About 3 different exercises

To clarify. Day 1 will be Monday. Day 2 will be Tuesday. Day 3 will Wednesday and Day 4 will be Friday. I will perform HIIT again on Thursday and Saturdays. (My rest days)

Rep Points

Hmm, no thoughts?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I guess I don't understand the question?

a) why can't you do HIIT on upper body days?

b) if built wrote the program - why don't you ask her? Otherwise there is to many cooks in the kitchen as we all do things a little differently.

patrick
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

Yeah, I did ask her and waiting for her response. I just want some more views, other ideas, etc...I would like to compare it to another routine and choose what's good for me, instead of just making up some some uneducated BS routine.

I'd rather take the knowledge from experienced people.

Rep Points

Well, I am by no means an expert but I will share the information I have. The reason that HIIT is best when done on leg days is because the HIIT itself is a leg workout. If you are doing HIIT on an arms day, then doing a legs day you are basically working out your legs on both days, thus they will probably not be getting enough recovery time. I currently have a split similar to yours. I do HIIT on day 2 (tuesday), day 4 (friday), and sunday (which is a non lifting day).

If you need to do it on day one why not just switch up your routine a little bit? Start with Day 4, then do day 3, then day 2, then day 1. Just do the same routine you have set up now but in reverse order. I do not think there would be any issues in changing the order (if there is hopefully built will correct me).

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

it is all about solid planning. everyone seems to make it the "either/or" type of thing. it is all about how you set up and establish your program.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

xfile, I've done it both ways. There's a risk of overtraining legs if you do HIIT on upper days, but it depends how intensely you train legs and how intensely you perform HIIT, as well as how well you recover. Deep into a cut, you might not want to hit lets hard twice a week with weights, and twice a week with HIIT - four days of leg work might be too much.

My .02

And Patrick, I like your cooking very much.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

"King of Cheat Meals"

Rep Points

I've never done true hiit on a cut. I think I'd die. With that said, I think I'll try it here in a few weeks when I start a cut.
    Ban 2 1/2 's !!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------
    Some Oooold Pics. All Natural. More to come soon...Still all natural

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

I usually do running/biking on upper days, and rowing on lower days.

I always do cardio after working out, and if i do running on leg day or rowing on upper day i just cant get any sort of a performance out of those muscles after weights.

Done in moderation (10-20 mins depending on the type of cardio) i havent noticed overtraining.

Im usually pretty well conditioned though.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.