IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Bush dynasty? Ex-president touts son Jeb for top job

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Bush dynasty? Ex-president touts son Jeb for top job

Bush dynasty? Ex-president touts son Jeb for top job - USATODAY.com

Nooooo!!!!
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Another President Bush?
    Perhaps so, says former President George H.W. Bush, who has already seen one son, George W., serve in the Oval Office. The nation's 41st president said Sunday that he would like to see a second son, Jeb, be president one day.

Jeb Bush is the current president's younger brother and a former popular governor of Florida. He is mulling a run for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Florida Republican Sen. Mel Martinez.

Asked in a broadcast interview about Jeb Bush's consideration of the Senate seat, the former president said: "I'd like to see him run. I'd like to see him be president someday."

When asked if he was serious, he said: "Or maybe senator. Whatever. Yes, I would. I mean, right now is probably a bad time, because we've had enough Bushes in there. But no, I would. And I think he's as qualified and able as anyone I know on the political scene. Now, you've got to discount that. He's my son."

The former president spoke on Fox News Sunday in an interview that was taped Friday in Houston.

He will be at the White House on Wednesday for a lunch with President George W. Bush, President-elect Barack Obama and former presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.

The senior Bush said he does not plan to offer advice to Obama and mainly wants to wish him well. "I talked to him right after the election and did that then, assured him that he was my president," Bush said.

The former president also plans to go skydiving once again, in June, to mark his 85th birthday. He will do so in tandem with an expert. "Just because you're an old guy, you don't need to sit around sucking your thumb drooling in the corner," he said. "Old guys can still do stuff, and that's the main reason."

Rep Points

pffft, if America voted in another Bush I would def have to flee the country. maybe I would illegally immigrate to Mexico......Nah, Canada...Yea Canada.
    What Would Fetus Do?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It is fucking cold up here.

If I remember Correctly..... Jeb actually did good for the state of Florida?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IainDaniel View Post
    It is fucking cold up here.

If I remember Correctly..... Jeb actually did good for the state of Florida?
    Until he helped rig the second G W election?

"Durrr we don't know how to vote down here...Therefore we default our votes to G W Bush"

lol jk

It's a conspiracy!
    What Would Fetus Do?

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fetusaurus Rex View Post
    pffft, if America voted in another Bush I would def have to flee the country. maybe I would illegally immigrate to Mexico......Nah, Canada...Yea Canada.
    My thoughts exactly!

Rep Points

ok, i see all of the animosity towards the current president bush, but can someone explain to me how the first bush was so bad? or why everyone thinks the jeb will be the same as his older brother if put in the white house?
    Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    Sheep get their news from the media, I get my news from Facebook. That's where the real unbiased news is found. any everyone from IM that is friends with me on FB knows this.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Supposedly Jeb is the smart/talented one of the lot, but the name is tainted by now.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

How about no more Bushes, no more Kennedys, no more Clinton's, no more Adams...I will however take a Roosevelt.

By the way Bush and Obama are tenth cousins once removed! Yikes!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bio-chem View Post
    ok, i see all of the animosity towards the current president bush, but can someone explain to me how the first bush was so bad? or why everyone thinks the jeb will be the same as his older brother if put in the white house?
    What was good about the Elder Bush, just want to know your opinion.

Bush screwed it up for Jeb, why take a risk.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee View Post
    How about no more Bushes, no more Kennedys, no more Clinton's, no more Adams...I will however take a Roosevelt.

By the way Bush and Obama are tenth cousins once removed! Yikes!
    you have something against our 2nd and 6th presidents do you?
    Sheep get their news from the media, I get my news from Facebook. That's where the real unbiased news is found. any everyone from IM that is friends with me on FB knows this.

Rep Points

What was good about the Elder Bush, just want to know your opinion.

Bush screwed it up for Jeb, why take a risk.
    the guy should be judged on his own merits not on his brothers. i don't think jeb is any greater risk than obama or anyone else just because of who his brother is.

and i think the elder bush did a great job in foreign policy. the fall of the berlin wall and communism in russia as well as the first gulf war were all handled well in my opinion. it's true I was young at this time, but i like to think i have a fair grasp of history
    Last edited by bio-chem; 01-05-2009 at 10:17 AM.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

you have something against our 2nd and 6th presidents do you?
    That was part of a joke that didn't take off.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

the guy should be judged on his own merits not on his brothers. i don't think jeb is any greater risk than obama or anyone else just because of who his brother is.
    No way, too much at stake. Once bitten twice shy.
    I don't care to take a chance.

and i think the elder bush did a great job in foreign policy. the fall of the berlin wall and communism in russia as well as the first gulf war were all handled well in my opinion. it's true I was young at this time, but i like to think i have a fair grasp of history
    They did good on the first Gulf war.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hasselhoff claims he had hand in Berlin Wall falling
    The actor and producer, who says he is working on a film version of TV series Knight Rider, claims he is partly responsible for the fall of the concrete divide.

Speaking to German magazine TV Spielfilm, Hasselhoff said in 1989, the year the wall fell, he had helped reunite the country by singing his song 'Looking for Freedom' among millions of German fans at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think Reagan had more to do with the Berlin wall than Bush did....not sure but I'll do a search and fill it with wacky cartoons, facts and wait for the wacky opinions.
    Last edited by min0 lee; 01-05-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: I meant Wall not War.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

note April 14, 2005: this editorial cartoon appeared in the LA Times on 4/11/05
    (The new Polish pope's visit to his homeland in 1979 helped spark the Solidarity movement;
    the pope's continuing support of Solidarity and its dedication to non-violence helped Gorbachev
    to keep the transformations in eastern Europe non-violent. In 1992 Gorby praised JP II for his role.)

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

LA Times, 11/7/04: D'Souza, Reagan Tore Down Berlin Wall, + letters

LA Times, Nov. 7, 2004

COMMENTARY
    It Was Reagan Who Tore Down That Wall
    He was the prime mover behind the Soviet collapse.

By Dinesh D'Souza
    Dinesh D'Souza, a Hoover Institution fellow, is author of "Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader" (The Free Press, 1997). Website: dineshdsouza.com

As we celebrate the 15th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall on Tuesday, it's worth asking how and why did the wall come tumbling down? I argue that it was Ronald Reagan's statesmanship that brought it down and hastened the collapse of the Soviet empire. Reagan didn't do it alone, but without him it probably wouldn't have happened.

As early as 1981, when almost everyone considered the Soviet empire a permanent fixture of the international landscape, Reagan spoke at the University of Notre Dame, predicting that "the West won't contain communism; it will transcend communism." The next year, he told the British Parliament that freedom and democracy would "leave Marxism-Leninism on the ash heap of history." The wise men in the media and academia scoffed. Today these same pundits maintain that the Soviet Union collapsed because of economic failure, or that Mikhail Gorbachev was responsible.

This analysis makes no sense. Sure, the Soviet Union had economic problems, but it had been ailing for most of the century. Never has a great empire imploded because of poor economic performance alone.

Like many empires suffering from domestic strains, the Soviets during the 1970s compensated by pursuing an aggressive foreign policy. Between 1974 and 1980, 10 countries fell into the Soviet orbit: South Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, South Yemen, Angola, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Nicaragua, Grenada and Afghanistan. The Soviet nuclear arsenal surpassed that of the U.S., and the Soviets targeted a new generation of missiles at Western Europe. The Soviet Union in 1980 seemed to be in the vanguard of history.

It is no less problematic to attribute the Soviet collapse to Gorbachev. He was undoubtedly a reformer, but the communist bosses did not put him in power in 1985 to lead the party, and the regime, over the precipice.

Nor did Gorbachev see this as his role. He insisted throughout the second half of the 1980s that he sought to invigorate the economy in order to strengthen the military. The Politburo supported his reforms because he promised "regained confidence in the party." No one was more surprised than Gorbachev when the Soviet regime disintegrated.

The only man who foresaw the Soviet collapse and implemented policies to bring it about was Reagan. During his first term Reagan pursued tough policies aimed at curtailing the Soviet nuclear threat and stopping Soviet advances around the world. Calling the Soviets an "evil empire," Reagan initiated a massive defense buildup. He deployed Pershing and cruise missiles in Europe. He sent weapons and other assistance to anti-communist guerrillas in Soviet satellites like Afghanistan, Angola and Nicaragua. He announced a new program of missile defenses that would eventually "make nuclear weapons obsolete."

These measures were fiercely resisted by liberal Democrats, who decried Reagan's policies as confrontational and likely to make nuclear war more likely. But Reagan's military buildup and his missile defense program threatened the Soviets with an arms race they could ill afford. His doctrine of aid to anti-communist guerrillas halted Soviet advances in the Third World: Between 1980 and 1985, not an inch of real estate fell into Moscow's hands.

It was Reagan who was responsible for thwarting Soviet gains and spurring a loss of nerve that contributed to the elevation of Gorbachev to power. Gorbachev's policies were responses to circumstances created not by him but by Reagan. Ilya Zaslavsky, who served in the Congress of People's Deputies, said later that the true originator of glasnost and perestroika was not Gorbachev but Reagan.

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Jeb is a smart guy. Much smarter than GW, but it's too late now.

It's about burnout, fatigue, and the

FAMILY NAME:

It's over.

Don't even think about it.

Remember what Jeb Bush said last year:

"No tengo futuro."
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hasselhoff claims he had hand in Berlin Wall falling
    The actor and producer, who says he is working on a film version of TV series Knight Rider, claims he is partly responsible for the fall of the concrete divide.

Speaking to German magazine TV Spielfilm, Hasselhoff said in 1989, the year the wall fell, he had helped reunite the country by singing his song 'Looking for Freedom' among millions of German fans at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.
    No you idiot, it was The Boss.
    Reuters: Who Felled the Berlin Wall? How 'Bout Bruce Springsteen! (No, They're SERIOUS)

In one of the most ridiculous examples of unbridled hyperbole, Reuters has decided that singer Bruce Springsteen is the one responsible for bringing down the Berlin Wall and ending the Cold War. Yes, that's Bruce "Scorn in the USA" Springsteen, one of the most anti-American rockers on the scene. I know what you're thinking, "But what about Ronald Reagan?" Forget it, man, it's Bruce all the way as far as Reuters is concerned. Maybe it was his gravely warbling that Joshua-like brought those walls tumblin' down, maybe his caterwauling is what turned the trick, but, quite despite any common sense and in a childishly, foolish and overly simplistic review of history, Reuters is sure that Bruce is the hero of Berlin. It is a great example of reductio ad absurdo if there ever was one, not that Reuters is aware of it.

This Reuters piece is so filled with nonsense, so blind to all the complicated political and social influences that really ended the Cold War, that it is hard to know where to start reviewing it. I can but shake my head at its simple minded analysis.

Rep Points

I think Reagan had more to do with the Berlin war than Bush did....not sure but I'll do a search and fill it with wacky cartoons, facts and wait for the wacky opinions.
    let me rephrase. im not giving him credit for the berlin wall falling down or communism ending in russia. im giving him credit for how he guided the US response to these major political world changes

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

let me rephrase. im not giving him credit for the berlin wall falling down or communism ending in russia. im giving him credit for how he guided the US response to these major political world changes
    Funny thing is that this site gives him a bit of credit for for bringing it down the Wall..

George H.W. Bush

A major Bush accomplishment in 1991 was the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), signed in July with Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev at their fourth summit conference, marking the end of the long weapons buildup.

President Bush's leadership proved critical to the resolution of some of the most daunting conflicts of the time. After 40 years of superpower stalemate, historic events became nearly commonplace: the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany, the end of the Cold War and the flowering of democracy in Eastern Europe, the emergence of a new partnership with Russia, anchored by the historic arms reduction treaties; START I and START II — the first-ever agreements to dismantle and destroy strategic weapons since the advent of the nuclear age.

Now this is also on the same site.....it claims he had a hand in NAFTA...whereas everyone here blames Clinton for....

On the international economic front

President Bush sought to seize new opportunities through a policy of free trade, pushing to lower trade restrictions and tariff barriers in the GATT talks. In this hemisphere, President Bush's free trade efforts culminated in the Enterprise for the Americas initiative and the North American Free Trade Agreement, (NAFTA). With the passing of the Cold War came new challenges, including seeking to demonstrate the post-Cold War possibilities of collective security.

this also....
    Bush's initial Cabinet choices reflected a balanced choice for an efficient, nonideological government. With his usual cautious instinct, in 1990 he nominated to the Supreme Court the erudite David H. Souter, known to have broadly conservative views.

In his first year, Bush was confronted with the Lebanese hostage crisis, the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska, and the continuing War on Drugs. His public approval soared following the invasion of Panama in late 1989, but a spectacular budget deficit and the savings and loan crisis caused the president's popularity to dip sharply in his second year. That decline followed Bush's relinquishment of his famed campaign "no new taxes" pledge as he sat down with congressional leaders to tame the budget deficit and deal with a flagging economy
    The S & L scandal ......recession....yup...

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

the fall of the berlin wall and communism in russia as well as the first gulf war were all handled well in my opinion. it's true I was young at this time, but i like to think i have a fair grasp of history
    Can you explain this some more? what do you mean be handling communism well?
    Fucking Determined!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Can you explain this some more? what do you mean be handling communism well?
    a few posts down i clarified that i meant his handling of our response to these world changes

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

a few posts down i clarified that i meant his handling of our response to these world changes
    No! No take backs!

It's not often you make a mistake, but when you do it's fun.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Description

On June 12, 1987, President Ronald Reagan delivered a major speech on the Cold War with the Brandenburg Gate and the Berlin Wall as a back drop. In staging this speech, President Reagan hoped to draw a parallel with the historic speech delivered in Berlin by President John F. Kennedy in July 1963. It was in this speech that President Kennedy spoke the famous phrase: "All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words Ich bin ein Berliner "I am a Berliner]." In Reagan's 1987 talk, he recalled this famous speech and added his own historic phrase: "Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I didn't see the clarification. I got it now.
    Fucking Determined!

Rep Points

No! No take backs!

It's not often you make a mistake, but when you do it's fun.
    from you that shall always be a compliment

Rep Points

Jeb Bush was great as Gov when I lived in FL. Aside from the Schiavo thing, he was perfect. I wouldn't mind seeing him in there, but he may have to wait a couple of elections because peeps blame G-dub for everything.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Fool us once shame on you, fool us twice, shame shame on..... can't get fooled again hehehe
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think Reagan had more to do with the Berlin wall than Bush did....not sure but I'll do a search and fill it with wacky cartoons, facts and wait for the wacky opinions.
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast