• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Training a "Noob".

RasPlasch

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
My friend wants me to train him in the gym....sweet.

I am currently doing strength training (1-6 reps) for most lifts.
I am pretty sure, almost certain that beginners shouldn't be performing heavy weights with low reps.

I have a routine set up and everything. I'm just wondering the rep range I should use for this beginner. 1-5 like I am doing? 8-12? 5-10? 12-15?

He's not a complete beginner. But he's never really taken lifting seriously. He will lift for a couple months then quit for a long time. Then start over and lift again. Rinse and repeat.

when i start training one of my friends i start with the staples ( deads, squats, bench) the i also get them into using other compound movements at a relatively low weight so they can learn the form which to me is the most important factor when training , when their muscles get used to the movements i will start a more complex program.

i believe you can not teach someone form while using heavy weights , it gets compromised way to easily.

Yeah thats what I have been doing. I had him squat a few days ago. Tomorrow he is going to bench press. I just want to know what rep range is the best. I was thinking 8-12.

thats what i use i have him do 3 sets of 12 at approximately 20RM for the first week , then i will gradually move up by the 4th week they are doing 12 reps at 12rm then i will introduce a more complex routine. including pyramiding

Alright I guess I will do 8-12 but shoot for him to do more then 8.

Highish reps, at a low intensity so they can get their form right. If they've literally never lifted before, youre gonna want to put some serious time in teaching them correctly, with just the bar if need be!

I say 5 - 10. pyramid. i.e squats: 1 set 10; 2 set 8; 3 set 6

I say 5 - 10. pyramid. i.e squats: 1 set 10; 2 set 8; 3 set 6

i prefer not to pyramid with new people training just because when you get to the 6 reps they will be more concentrated on getting the weight up and not on their form its not a natural movement for them yet

P.S. i love the line under your name YAAAA BUDDY

You should do what some of the trainers do in my gym. Every workout do a different movement on every conceivable piece of equipment there is while charging them $50 a session. Make sure you do stuff that you are sure they will not remember three weeks from now so you can milk them for more money. Eventually they will catch on by seeing that others in the gym who do mostly free weights are making good gains by only doing a few simple compound movements but by them you would have pocketed 20 grand of their cash :)

i wish i could find someone to pull that on

IML Gear Cream!
A little against the grain here, but with newbies, I use Got Built? » Basic whole-body workout to get them started, with 5-8 rep sets.

I don't like to use the higher rep stuff right off the bat because it's too easy for form to deteriorate.

Think of it this way: if you've never done a squat and someone is standing there making sure you do 'em right, you might be able to hammer out a 10-rep set - but if you're alone the next time you train, you might do the first few okay, but rep out the rest of 'em wong. Now you're practicing an incorrect movement pattern. I'd rather have a newbie pattern only the good reps.

Once they get that, raise the rep range so they're doing 3x8s, then build up the weight.

You want to get into the higher rep stuff now with your newbie, that's great - it'll condition their joints and get 'em prepared to do the heavy stuff.

My .02

Make sure you do stuff that you are sure they will not remember three weeks from now so you can milk them for more money.

Glad you're not my friend! What a tosser!

RasPlasch - train your friend the way YOU'D want to be trained. Be confident, but be a bit cautious at first - until you feel like your friend has the proper form to go to the next step.

Mix things up a bit to keep it interesting and fun - not to "milk him".

BTW, how old is your friend? Keep that in mind too. If you're not sure of something, ask another trainer for advice instead of going into territory you're unfamiliar with. You don't want to be nursing this person through an injury you could have prevented.

Encourage by keeping it fun and light at first, then begin to push the limits a little later on.

best of luck.

he should do more reps 10-12 with less weights
bodybuilding.gif

Indeed - why?

I cant see the logic in this. :geewhiz:

Even someone who is not knowledgeable about training would know the best way to learn new movements is less reps as opposed to more reps.

Newbs have a hell of a lot of things to think about when they are just starting out. They dont have the concentration to get through 15-rep sets using good form. As the set progresses they start to shorten their ROM, and form goes out the window altogether.

Glad you're not my friend! What a tosser!

RasPlasch - train your friend the way YOU'D want to be trained. Be confident, but be a bit cautious at first - until you feel like your friend has the proper form to go to the next step.

Mix things up a bit to keep it interesting and fun - not to "milk him".

BTW, how old is your friend? Keep that in mind too. If you're not sure of something, ask another trainer for advice instead of going into territory you're unfamiliar with. You don't want to be nursing this person through an injury you could have prevented.

Encourage by keeping it fun and light at first, then begin to push the limits a little later on.

best of luck.

I wasn't serious when I wrote that (just incase you haven't figured that out yet) but that's OK I forgive you for calling me names.

Last edited:
if he's just starting off have him doing high reps working on form over anything else

dont want to get off on the wrong foot

i personally prefer using 12 reps with light weights

this way the weights are not taxing or exhausting on the muscles and joints

even if its just the bar weight for the first couple sets , walk them through the movement it is not natural to them, after awhile it becomes second nature....how many think real hard about every detail of their form.

and with it being light weight they wont resort to cheating themselves out

if u introduce them to heavy weights to soon they wont use proper form cause they do not know it well enough all they care is getting the weight up .......lol i know when i started lifting before i was properly trained i used to bounce the weight off my chest and be like ya i got this up , or throw a shoulder up off the bench to try and force it up

everyone seems to have an opinion, which vary i use what i have seen results from as do others i guess its more your preference , just keep the weights light

IML Gear Cream!
Oh, I don't think starting a lifter with heavy weights is a good idea.

Neither do I think starting a novice with high reps is a good idea.

Multiple low-rep sets seems more ideal - they get in the volume while practicing only the correct pattern, stopping before form breaks down while they rep it out.

depends on the individual and the exercise.

patrick

i have no problems helping out my friends to get started but i get way to frustrated when they try jumping the weight up before they have the form down .....and constantly insist on it ........no patience very annoying

Back