President Barack Obama's half-brother, George Obama, held on marijuana possession in

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

President Barack Obama's half-brother, George Obama, held on marijuana possession in

President Barack Obama's half-brother, George Obama, held on marijuana possession in Kenya

BY DAVID SALTONSTALL
    DAILY NEWS SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

Saturday, January 31st 2009, 12:25 PM

Bummer, bro'.

The half-brother of President Obama was busted for alleged possession of marijuana Saturday near his home in a Nairobi shantytown, Kenyan police officials said.

George Obama, who is in his 20s and barely knows the president, had one joint of marijuana on him, said Joshua Omokulongolo, the police chief in the area.

"He is not a drug peddler," Omokulongolo told The Associated Press. "But it's illegal, it's a banned substance."

Speaking from behind bars, Obama denied the allegations.

"They took me from my home," he told CNN, "I don't know why they are charging me."

George Obama and the president share the same father, who died in a car crash in 1982 when George was just six months old. The president has met his younger half-brother during trips to Kenya to track his family roots but the two are not close.

Several of President Obama's Kenyan relatives went to Washington, D.C., for his inauguration, but George was not among them. He lives in Huruma, a section of Nairobi, where he has said he is studying to be mechanic.

Despite their tenuous relationship, George Obama is likely to take his place now in the pantheon of troublesome presidential siblings and in-laws, an elite club with no shortage of members.

There was Billy Carter, the brother of President Jimmy Carter, who in the 1970's used his image as a Southern good ol' boy to endorse his own brand of beer, Billy Beer.

More recently, Hugh Rodham, the brother of former First Lady Hillary Clinton, got in a jam when it was discovered that he collected $400,000 in return for scoring a commutation from President Clinton for a convicted drug trafficker. He later returned the money.

In his memoir, "Dreams from My Father," Barack Obama describes meeting George and other family members he never knew as a child as a "painful affair."

Media reports about George Obama first surfaced over the summer, after an article in Italian Vanity Fair said he lived in a shack and earned a dollar a day. George Obama has called the reports insulting.

"I'm proud of how I live," he said later. "(The media) are tarnishing the family name."

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

that reminds me, someone wanted me to see how much a 6 pack of unopened Billy Beer might go for.

you don't get what you wish for ~ you get what you work for

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'd say this is sufficient for impeachment.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Funny George lives in Kenya and Barack is a name living here in the states as our president.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Funny George lives in Kenya and Barack is a name living here in the states as our president.
    I'm sure it was his mom who wanted Barack to have an exotic name, his father probably wanted him to have an americanized name....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012