• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Age and Recovery

highpockets

STILL workin' it!
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I searched the threads but found nothing on recovery time as we age. I'm currently 48 and I have noticed that little nagging injuries take a little longer to heal.

Common sense tells me that as I get older it may take my muscles longer to recover from a very strenuous workout which may result in the necessity to alter my programs a bit to compensate for recovery time.

Does anyone have anything other than common sense to justify my thinking?

I've been using Eric's (gopro's) P/RR/S for a number of months now and recently (3 weeks ago) incorporated his FD/FS philosophy. I know that I usually experience DOMS when altering my training methods for a short time, but his time the soreness is really lasting.

Input is appreciated as always!

yes, of course it takes longer to recover as we age.

i believe the program you are talking about also has a lot of accentuated eccentric work - which can lead to greater tissue stress and DOMS. You may want to de-emphasive that part of the training a little bit to allow yourself to adequately recover and adapt to it.

patrick

Maybe go lower on the work until your body adapts? Take as much time as you need to rest because putting the muscles under stress when they are sore just means they wont adapt, at least thats my opinion. Theres better people here with way more experience so listen to them!

Another fossil with injuries here... <sigh>

Yep, takes longer to heal, recovery isn't anything like it was. I'm on test and dhea HRT and those DO help, a lot, but still.

I want HGH. One day, when I can afford it I'll be ALL over that shit.

In the meantime, I've learned to vary up my rep ranges a bit more, incorporate more foam rolling, prehab/rehab, stretching; I have a team of physiotherapists, chiropractors and ART practitioners whom I send to Hawaii regularly on the fees I pay them, and of course, traditional modalities such as regular aquasatanic rituals - which I can NOT believe aren't covered by my health plan!!! :mad:

I'm 45 and I've had to change the way I look at all this. I can't work out as often and as much as I once did. Some excercises I find to be more problamatic than they are worth which gives me the incentive to try new things until I find the right substitute...which is actually kind of a fun challenge.

At this age I've found that paying close attention to my diet is of utmost importance.

All that and learning patience...ugh!!! How nice it was and how I took it for granted when I was young and could hit it hard for a few weeks and reap tremendous results. It just don't work that way anymore:(

Age And Recovery. Welcome to my world, great question! I`ve got you beat by 8 years, yes just turned 56, and yesterday have a 2 hr back work out!!!! And heavy, topped out at 265 in bent over rows for 4 reps, and did 12 sets of 4 with 140 lb`ers in one arm dumbell rows.!!!!! Lat pull downs with 260 for sets of 4!!!.
Us " seasoned guys" need to listen to our joints, I know I need to do alot of warm up sets. Also there are some exercises I stay away from, curls just kill my elbows, as do tricep pushdowns. I don`t bench anymore, kills my shoulders, do the things that don`t hurt, and stay away from the things that do. In addition find substitute movements that hit the area from a different angle. For example biceps are activated be doing back work, I like doing dips for the Tri`s, & I incline instead of benching. Try increasing your warm up sets, before you hit your "Training Weights". If you train 5, or 6 consecutive days in a row, your going to feel it, I know I do. Right now I go 5 days in a row, & take Sat., & Sun off.
Keep Training
Big Back 51

I'm with you on the incline pressing and being mindful of my joints.

Still, I'd rather train carefully and deal with the aches and pains than the alternative.

I also find I'm more and more fond of the wonders that medication can offer the older I get.

Drugs. They're just good.™

IML Gear Cream!
I'm with you on the incline pressing and being mindful of my joints.

Still, I'd rather train carefully and deal with the aches and pains than the alternative.

I also find I'm more and more fond of the wonders that medication can offer the older I get.

Drugs. They're just good.???

Agreed! If it's just aches and pains the lifting causes then I'm going ahead so I can reap the benefits, just doing so more carefully.

I've ordered a hefty supply of protein powder and creatine so I can be sure to supplement fully with these. This does help.

Amen to that. Dam shame fools that abuse them hold back advancement by allowing media to put such a negative spin on it's proper use.

It's all about control. The government wants it all and the media wants them to have it in most cases.

If the media were honest and the government would stay out of the drug and supplement business we would have a lot more options and at cheaper prices.

Hey guys, I went back to low-tech solutions for my pains, having blown up both my ankles several times, the post-surgery time was substancially cut down with the help of a football coach friend of mine( also a fossil) He told me about L-Glutamine and how it helps bring blood and nutriants to undervascularised joints and ligaments. I've been taking that stuff for a while now and working on a 2 on/ 1 off, 2 on/ 2 off schedual, the results speak for themselves. I can now play badminton with my daughters, squash with the wife and run the recruits in the ground during morning PT. It made such a difference, I wen't off the pills the docs gave me and stayed off.

Sometimes, going off the beaten path can help, I know it did for me.

Philly

I'm not sure how much you take, but glutamine's in almost everything you eat - plus your own body makes it. Most of what you would consume is taken up by the gut.

Are you sure you don't mean glucosamine?

I'm not sure how much you take, but glutamine's in almost everything you eat - plus your own body makes it. Most of what you would consume is taken up by the gut.

Are you sure you don't mean glucosamine?

Nah, it sais L-Glutamine on the can, tellin' ya, it did the trick for me. That Glucosamine stuff just made me fart a bunch...

I don't know is any other people over 40 agree but... I seems like my body is getting use to healing itself. I started lifting again because of back pain. I heal faster now. :) That plus being smarter about when and what. I really think it all evens out for me. 45 for me is not what it is for the general population. Give me a baseball cap for my graying bald head and a tank top and shorts... I'll show you clerks that cards a guy buying a case of Coors, a guy born in 1963.

Back