• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Knicks reach buyout with exiled point guard Stephon Marbury

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Good bye.
What a huge disappointment.

Knicks reach buyout with exiled point guard Stephon Marbury

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Updated Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 7:47 PM

The Knicks reached a buyout with exiled point guard Stephon Marbury Tuesday, ending one of the most controversial careers in franchise history.

Marbury is scheduled to make $20.9 million this season and it believed that he would have to give the Knicks between $2 and $3 million for his freedom.

Marbury, Knicks president Donnie Walsh and head coach Mike D???Antoni attended an arbitration hearing on Tuesday in New York. Marbury is fighting the $400,000 fine he received for allegedly refusing to enter a game in November.

"A comprehensive agreement was made this afternoon between the New York Knicks and Stephon Marbury," the Knicks said in a statement. "Under its terms, the grievance has been resolved and the Knicks have requested waivers on Stephon. No additional terms will be disclosed."

Before training camp last year, Walsh proudly stated that he had never negotiated a buyout with a player, which was standard operating procedure under Walsh's predecessor, Isiah Thomas. But with the Marbury situation becoming a distraction and increasingly embarrassing for the franchise, Walsh acknowledged in December that a buyout was a possibility.

"Everything is on the table," Walsh said.

Garden chairman James Dolan had a falling out with Marbury last season and it has been reported that Dolan was not in favor of giving Marbury money and allowing him to walk.

Walsh agreed with D'Antoni's assertion that the ongoing Marbury saga had become a distraction for the team. Twice over a five-day span in November, Marbury - told weeks earlier that he was not in the team's plans - declined D'Antoni's offer to play, leading to the fine.

As it turned out, Marbury would not play at all for the Knicks this season.

Marbury hasn't played since Jan. 11 of last season. He was traded from the Suns to the Knicks with Penny Hardaway and Cezary Trybanski on Jan. 5, 2004. The Suns received Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, Antonio McDyess and Maciej Lampe.

Marbury led the Knicks to the playoffs only once, a four-game sweep at the hands of the Nets in the 2003-04 season. He averaged 21.3 points and 6.5 assists in the series.

His time with the Knicks was littered with controversy. The low point came in September of 2007 when Marbury took the stand in Anucha Browne Sanders $10 million sex-harassment suit against the Knicks. Marbury admitted calling Browne Sanders a "bitch" after she refused to give him more game tickets for his friends and family.

"She told me that this is not Phoenix or New Jersey, we're not doing things like that here," Marbury said at the time.

Marbury has also played for the Minnesota Timberwolves and New Jersey Nets.

about damn time!

He'll be in a Celtic uniform on Sunday.

Marbury has made every team he's been on worse.

Marbury with the T-Wolves:

Best record? 45-39
Record in first season after his departure? 50-32

Marbury with the Nets (traded in the lockout-shortened '99 season):

Season Before? 43-39
First full year with Marbury? 31-51
Best year with Marbury? 31-51 (they went 26-56 the next year)
Record the year after Marbury left? 52-30

Marbury with the Suns:

Season before? 51-31
First year with Marbury? 36-46
Best year with Marbury? 44-53
Record the year after Marbury's departure? 62-20

Marbury with the Knicks:

Season before? 37-45
First full year with Marbury? 33-49
Best record with Marbury? 33-49
Record the year Marbury isn't playing? 24-32 (better winning percentage than 33-49)

He'll be in a Celtic uniform on Sunday.

I hope this doesn't happen simply because I don't want to see Marbury win a ring by riding the coattails of the Celtics. He doesn't deserve that kind of reward.

Best record? 45-39

I don't think that's fair. How bad did the Wolves suck before he and KG got there?

They were 26-56 in KG's first season.

Starberry's became a star with the wolves, it's been downhill from there.

He left the wolves and Garnett to be a "Star"..........

Holy fuck that took forever to happen

I think the progression of his name should be as follows:

Marbury > Starbury > Gaybury

IML Gear Cream!
Kinda wish you guy's would pay me to go away!

[drunk slur]5 Dollars get outta here.[/drunk slur]

Best record? 45-39

Marbury with the Nets (traded in the lockout-shortened '99 season):

Season Before? 43-39
First full year with Marbury? 31-51
Best year with Marbury? 31-51 (they went 26-56 the next year)
Record the year after Marbury left? 52-30

Marbury with the Suns:

Season before? 51-31
First year with Marbury? 36-46
Best year with Marbury? 44-53
Record the year after Marbury's departure? 62-20

Marbury with the Knicks:

Season before? 37-45
First full year with Marbury? 33-49
Best record with Marbury? 33-49
Record the year Marbury isn't playing? 24-32 (better winning percentage than 33-49)

yup. just like Iverson.

I wonder what would happen if they were on the same team? That would be great.

yup. just like Iverson.

I wonder what would happen if they were on the same team? That would be great.

HAh...I can see it now, one that doesn't wanna practice, and the other if he doesn't get his way doesn't wanna play at all.

What would the all loser team look like?

AI
Marbury

yup. just like Iverson.

No way. Iverson carried the Sixers to the playoffs almost every year he was there, one year to the finals, with absolutely NO supporting cast.

Notable players he played with in Philly:

Aaron McKie
Eric Snow
Dikembe Mutombo
Keith Van Horn
Derrick Coleman
George Lynch
Tyrone Hill
Kevin Ollie
Glenn Robinson
Toni Kukoch
Andre Iguodala
Theo Ratliff
Speedy Claxton
Matt Geiger
Sam Dalembert

And that's covering like 6-7 years. What he did with that shit cast is amazing. In Denver and Detroit is a totally different story. He is way past his prime.

IML Gear Cream!
Solid ball hog. Have you ever seen him play ball?

Yeah, read books on him too. There's a pretty good book called "The Last Shot" about Coney Island prospects in which he's a main guy. Book version of Hoop Dreams basically.

As long as he shoots 50% I don't care. The Celtics need a scorer off the bench to take some weight off of the whoever of the big 3 is out there with the second unit. I think having role models like KG, Pierce and Ray Allen and also the possibility of winning a championship will improve Starbury's character. If he becomes a cancer at all, he gets cut. Simple as that. Pretty much a no-risk move.

Yeah, read books on him too. There's a pretty good book called "The Last Shot" about Coney Island prospects in which he's a main guy. Book version of Hoop Dreams basically.

As long as he shoots 50% I don't care. The Celtics need a scorer off the bench to take some weight off of the whoever of the big 3 is out there with the second unit. I think having role models like KG, Pierce and Ray Allen and also the possibility of winning a championship will improve Starbury's character. If he becomes a cancer at all, he gets cut. Simple as that. Pretty much a no-risk move.

I happen to like the Celtics ( I hate the Laker's) and I think he will be poison to that team.

Trust me, I can remember calling my friends with joy that we finally have a all star point guard.
My friends were not as happy and after watching him play these past few years now I see why they weren't to happy.

He will not be happy sitting on the bench, he's going to want the ball all the time and never pass.

Back