• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Squat Aversion

Aghori

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've been strength training off and on over the years. Because of bad information about squats being bad for the knees, I never started squatting until a few months ago.

Over time I think lifters develop some mental toughness for training, so that going to failure isn't even unpleasant.

However, I have to say the squats seem different in that regard to me. They just seem "hard". I have even failed on the first rep of a first set of 5x5 that I was able to complete fully after getting more psyched up.

I used to think dead lifts were tough, they seem ok now.

Do squats get easier after a while?

In my experience, absolutley. Squats went from being my most hated lift at the start, to my favourite lift now. Give it some time, it will get easier.

If they don't get easier then youre doing something terribly wrong. Or you have skeletal limitations. Remember body weight squats are effective for people who fear weight at first. If youre failing on your first set youre simply using too much weight. No way should you fail on your first set regardless of your mental "toughness"

There is a great deal of technique involved. They should get somewhat easier, but that soreness that you experience, which for me is worse the second day, then the day after you do the exercise, remains a constant, buy hell you gotta luv some "good pain" its a part of this great activity!
Two exercises stand alone: Squats, and DL`s.
Big Back 51

I haven't been squatting for very long, deep squatting for even less time. I'm finding that unlike other movements I haven't got the best sense of how much strength I do have. What I mean by that is I've felt on many occasions like I'm at failure, but If I keep pushing I do get up (and not too slowly either) and still have enough in me for more reps.
In short I guess for me it is a psych thing and maybe you just need to push yourself a bit more.
I also lift at home without safety bars, if I was at a gym and had those, then I wouldn't be so afraid of failure!

PS: I don't have any reason other than feeling to suspect this - but perhaps experimenting with rep ranges would help?

dont be afraid to go super light when you start squatting.
i start with 95lbs and my max is >450 make sure your form is consistant as you slowly move up in weight and dont be afraid to take weight off if you see your form lagging a bit.
I wouldnt worry about weight ... form is much more important.

There is a great deal of technique involved. They should get somewhat easier, but that soreness that you experience, which for me is worse the second day, then the day after you do the exercise, remains a constant, buy hell you gotta luv some "good pain" its a part of this great activity!
Two exercises stand alone: Squats, and DL`s.
Big Back 51
So you think DOMS should be a constant?

I've been strength training off and on over the years. Because of bad information about squats being bad for the knees, I never started squatting until a few months ago.

Over time I think lifters develop some mental toughness for training, so that going to failure isn't even unpleasant.

However, I have to say the squats seem different in that regard to me. They just seem "hard". I have even failed on the first rep of a first set of 5x5 that I was able to complete fully after getting more psyched up.

I used to think dead lifts were tough, they seem ok now.

Do squats get easier after a while?

I lifted for over a year without ever doing squats. Then I finally decided to perform them.... and they were absolutely grueling compared to any other exercise I'd ever done. Many months later... I absolutely LOVE squats. What I used to think was grueling has now become one of my favorite feelings, and lifts. Theres nothing like the feeling of your legs after high rep squats or even heavy squats. Just keep doing them, you will get used to squats!

Yeah, I avoided squats for 15 years of weight training. My loss. Once I learned how to do them right, I fell in love with them. I couldn't imagine eliminating them from my routine. You'll master them, just start light, practice good form, and be patient.

IML Gear Cream!
Merkaba,
Please define DOMS, and I`ll respond.
Big Back 51

He doesn't need to - DOMS or "Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness" doesn't represent nor or is required for muscle growth. An experienced lifter doesn't experience DOMS nearly as much as a novice (if at all).

The first few times you do an exercise or change the tempo of it you may experience DOMs, but it won't last.

Oh and from experience if you're doing squats for the first time, wait a little while before doing deadlifts for the first time. That is if you like to walk I mean.

Holy shit, merks a mod.....

haha, jk, congrats bud!!

Holy shit, merks a mod.....

haha, jk, congrats bud!!

Didn't even notice that.

Don't you worry Merk, I won't share your dirty secrets now that you're a mod. They're safe with me.

If they don't get easier then youre doing something terribly wrong. Or you have skeletal limitations. Remember body weight squats are effective for people who fear weight at first. If youre failing on your first set youre simply using too much weight. No way should you fail on your first set regardless of your mental "toughness"

Totally agree with this.

This isn't a psychological issue, this is an issue with being bad at squats and/or using too much weight.

Don't underestimate the benefits of high rep bodyweight squats, or goblet squats, when starting out with this movement.

He doesn't need to - DOMS or "Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness" doesn't represent nor or is required for muscle growth. An experienced lifter doesn't experience DOMS nearly as much as a novice (if at all).

The first few times you do an exercise or change the tempo of it you may experience DOMs, but it won't last.

Oh and from experience if you're doing squats for the first time, wait a little while before doing deadlifts for the first time. That is if you like to walk I mean.

agreed.....when i started lifting DOMS killed me now i feel them the second day and its just more of a "pump" thing not really painful it used to be if someone poked my legs i would drop

Now that I understand what DOMS is, and how it relates to squats, its probably a constant for this exercise, I mean what exercise is harder then squats! I get sore every time I do them, might have something to do with doing 16 sets of 10.
DOMS goes hand in hand with training lights out!
Have Fun and Train Hard.
Big Back 51

Now that I understand what DOMS is, and how it relates to squats, its probably a constant for this exercise, I mean what exercise is harder then squats! I get sore every time I do them, might have something to do with doing 16 sets of 10.
Have Fun and Train Hard.
Big Back 51

Weve talked before about your love of training hard, but unless you are using AAS, this is overkill and more than likely hindering your gains.

When was the last time you trained with lower volume?

Have Fun and Train Hard.
Big Back 51

Drop those sets down dude, that's way too much volume even if you used gear. Hell 16 sets? I'd be doing squats for an hour straight (or more!).

Even so, are you confusing muscle fatigue or lactic acid with DOMS?

Thanks for the feedback. Some of you mentioned that having proper form is critical, as well as not using too much weight.

I backed off the weight a bit and recorded this. I would appreciate any tips.

YouTube Video

Even though your heels are planted you are still shifting weight to the balls of your feet.
I can see why you had trouble with heavier weight because your form got worse as you progressed in reps.
One thing that really helped me when i first started was squatting in front of a mirror. unlike benching you are required to look forward when you squat and dead so y not keep for form in check by looking at yourself in the mirror.

IML Gear Cream!
There's your problem, poor form.

Keep the weights light and really focus on keeping the weight on your heels...keep your ass back. You're leaning way too far forward.

Pause for 1 second after each rep, then do another perfect rep. That will allow you a brief moment to get yourself settled and ready for the next rep which should help with learning the proper form.

Also are those running shoes? If they are, get yourself a better pair of shoes for working out in. Quickly.

when I used to train on a body part split and would only hit legs once a week I'd get DOMS in my legs that would last pretty much until the next leg day rolled around... now that I'm hitting legs twice a week I never experience DOMS in my legs unless, like danzik said, I start a new exercise...

as for your form, the first rep you do there isn't terrible, but your form progressively gets worse after that as your reps go up... you're leaning too far forward... and like others have said really try and focus on keeping the weight on your heals and midfoot... the problem with leaning too far forward like that is the movement starts to become something like a cross between a squat and a good morning...

Also are those running shoes? If they are, get yourself a better pair of shoes for working out in. Quickly.

Agreed. You need shoes with a non-compressible flat sole, like Chuck Taylors or Adidas Samba (Original). They make a world of difference when trying to keep the weight on your heels.

I'm also a newbie to squats, but they've quickly become my favorite exercise.

Back