• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Patriots deal QB Matt Cassel to Chiefs

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Patriots deal QB Matt Cassel to Chiefs

BOSTON - The New England Patriots on Saturday reached an agreement to trade quarterback Matt Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs.
The Boston Globe confirmed the trade, although no details were available of what New England would get in return.
Cassel, who was designated as the Patriots' franchise player earlier this month, is guaranteed $14.65 million.
New Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, the former Patriots' personnel director, engineered the deal with New England - the second between the clubs in as many days.
Cassel is coming off an outstanding season for the Patriots after stepping in for incumbent starter Tom Brady, who was lost for the year with a knee injury in the season opener.
In his first season as a starter since high school, Cassel completed over 63 percent of his passes for 3,693 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions after taking over for Brady.
Cassel played superbly down the stretch, throwing eight TDs and just one interception as New England won its final four games to finish with an 11-5 record.
Quarterback was a major trouble spot for the Chiefs, who started three quarterbacks during a franchise-worst 2-14 campaign.
Tyler Thigpen got the bulk of the starts in the second half and played decently, but the Chiefs lost six of their last 10 games by seven points or fewer.
On Friday, the Patriots traded veteran linebacker Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs for an undisclosed draft choice.

Good deal.

The third pick in the second round and a plethora of cap relief is about all that we could have asked for.

Hopefully some of the key cogs of the team will be locked up long term and we'll use any extra cap relief on a high profile defensive player.

3 second round picks is excellent.

Saw that one coming as soon as he started playing well last season.

I don't know how he will do in KC though. I wonder how much he was a product of the system in NE. They had a great group of players around him. KC is pretty much shit.

patrick

Why would Pats turn down 12th pick for Cassel?
Circumstances surrounding the Matt Cassel trade keep getting curiouser and curiouser.

The more we learn, the more inexplicable it gets.

The New England Patriots sent Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs for the 34th overall selection in this year's draft, compensation that seemed a little weak on the surface.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen has since reported there was a much better offer on the table, that the Patriots passed on the 12th overall pick in a three-way trade that would've sent Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Patriots did business with Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, who for the previous nine years worked closely with Bill Belichick in the Patriots' front office. It must be noted new Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels was Belichick's offensive coordinator in New England.
Mort and I have exchanged a few e-mails on the subject. Here is how he broke down the proposed three-way deal:

This one defies logic, but a source I really trust tells me it's true: The Broncos were willing to offer their own first-round pick (12th overall) to the Patriots for Cassel. Obviously, it was conditional upon Cutler being traded and Tampa Bay was the most likely destination, the Bucs willing to part with their first- and third-round picks.

But Belichick never embraced a trade with the Broncos, even though it was a head-scratcher on the value part (second-rounder versus a first-rounder). It suggests two or three speculative thoughts:

Belichick has always valued second-round picks (he now has three) and didn't want to be stuck at No. 12 financially for whatever reason;
Belichick had an agreement with Pioli all along and wouldn't break his word;
Belichick isn't about to help another former assistant.
The Broncos sensed resistance all along, which is why they held the Bucs, Lions, Vikings, etc., at arm's length and allows McDaniels his plausible deniability on trading Cutler (and logic supports his denial).

However, despite intense efforts to keep this run at Cassel under wraps, enough damage has been done that Cutler may now be on the block.

The Broncos/Cutler aspect of the trade was reported by the Boston Globe. A Patriots' leak? Why? To mess with McDaniels?

Mort is correct. The information is astounding.

Several citizens of Patriot Nation have written into my AFC East mailbag and left notes in the comments section that Belichick didn't want a first-round pick for Cassel, that a second-rounder is more financially palatable.

Ridiculous, I say. The Patriots had the No. 10 pick last year and were highly successful with it, selecting defensive rookie of the year Jerod Mayo, a franchise player who could anchor their defense for the next decade.

The No. 12 pick is a commodity. The Patriots might've traded it for additional picks, dangling it on draft day to a team that has the hots for, say, quarterback Mark Sanchez, and doesn't want him to get away.

Mort left me with one last thought:

It is also interesting that Pioli made the trade without doing a deal with Cassel. This puts a lot of leverage on Cassel's side going forward. Then again, Pioli probably sensed Cassel would have preferred McDaniels and the Broncos for all the obvious reasons, which may have influenced negotiations in Cassel's favor anyway. AFC West rivalry revived here.

That's a lot to think about.

What do you think happened?

the broncos organization got caught with it's pants down with a rookie coach and GM. How the hell you could even consider a scenario where you give up cutler and get cassel plus a lower first round pick is beyond me. cutler is a better quarterback statistically and physically and in essence trading down in the draft to get a lesser qb is retarded.

The writers who have come out and blasted Belichick calling it "Spygate II" really have no place in the industry.

When Julius Peppers signs on the dotted line (or a player of his caliber, Ray Lewis?) these assclowns will truly be made a mockery of.

If the Patriots had taken the 12th overall pick, the money given to a player drafted that high would make a free agent acquisition such as Peppers or Lewis impossible.

Instead, the Patriots were able to dump Mike Vrabel and his $3 million dollar cap hit without cutting him, Cassel' $14 million is now also off the books, we have three 2nd round draft picks (which as anybody who knows the Patriots, Belichick values the most).

There's really not much else to say. That article that Min0 posted is pure bullshit.

Boston Herald - The Patriots saved a tremendous amount of money by trading quarterback Matt Cassel, but where will they spend it?

Julius Peppers is the hottest name on the market, and he's the young, defensive force that New England is coveting.

Carolina franchised the defensive end for $16.7 million, which upset Peppers, who is trying to get out of town

Perhaps Jason Taylor and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie?

Either way you look at it, the Patriots have plenty of options that will allow them to improve.

It's got to suck now that Mangini is gone and your hatred for the Patriots stems from jealousy of their winning ways and not some schmuck coach who could never overcome his mentor.

If only Favre was coming back...

:)

IML Gear Cream!
It's got to suck now that Mangini is gone and your hatred for the Patriots stems from jealousy of their winning ways and not some schmuck coach who could never overcome his mentor.

If only Favre was coming back...

:)

I don't hate the Patriots, I respect them a great deal.

The Giants beat them so they are like yesterdays news......

Now it's the Cowboys I hate with a passion.

I hope Ray Lewis doesn't go there...

Why is it cool to play in Dallas?

How can America have a team when each city has their own team?

It's not America' fucking team. It's Dallas' and all the bandwagoners from the Aikman-Smith-Irvin days.

How can America have a team when each city has their own team?

It's not America' fucking team. It's Dallas' and all the bandwagoners from the Aikman-Smith-Irvin days.

This goes back further into the 70's, Staubach, Dorsett..

Back