• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

S14's "Taking A Break" Journal

IML Gear Cream!
you take your creatine after your workout?
I always take mine an hour prior to get into the system...

I had been taking it before and after, but I am thinking about just doing it before my workouts. You have to remember what it is for, and if you think about it, it makes most sense to do it before your workout. The after is probably OK in its effects, but I don't want to run into kidney problems down the road with too much of this stuff, I probably drink enough water to limit the damage, (my pee is always clear to very light yellow).

So, load up before the workout, let it do it's thing and be done with it. I think too many people use it to artificially inflate their muscles with the water retention, and that is really not what creatine does.

I had been taking it before and after, but I am thinking about just doing it before my workouts. You have to remember what it is for, and if you think about it, it makes most sense to do it before your workout. The after is probably OK in its effects, but I don't want to run into kidney problems down the road with too much of this stuff, I probably drink enough water to limit the damage, (my pee is always clear to very light yellow).

So, load up before the workout, let it do it's thing and be done with it. I think too many people use it to artificially inflate their muscles with the water retention, and that is really not what creatine does.
that's what I do. Thanks! (take it prior)

April 5

RI=2 min on all exercises

Trap Bar Deadlifts
370 x 2
370 x 2
370 x 2
370 x 2
370 x 2
370 x 2
370 x 2
370 x 2

15 Degree Decline Bench Press
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2

Chinups
BW+30 x 2
BW+30 x 2
BW+30 x 2
BW+30 x 2
BW+30 x 2
BW+30 x 2
BW+30 x 2
BW+30 x 2

OK, new goal here, what else is new? Anyway, start at 80% of max, and do 8 sets of 2. Next time do 2 sets of 3 and 6 sets of 2, etc, until I hit 8 sets of 3, then add 5 pounds and go back to 8 sets of 2.

It's a lot longer progression, but in reality, if you can hold back and follow something like this, you might get better gains in the long run, it's just not getting ahead of yourself and pushing through the light weights with the long term goal in mind.

It's funny, if you use a progression like mine here, it works out to adding 5 pounds per exercise every just about 20 days, work that out over the course of a year and see what you get. Is it doable? Who knows. Let's see....every 20 days over a year, you get roughly 18 weight progressions. So let's use bench for example, I am starting with 8 sets of 2 at 265. Over all those progressions, in a year I would be at 8 sets of 3 with 355 pounds. Very aggressive, but in the realm of reality I think if everything went well.

Of course, you can always tweak it to keep going forward if you had to, like instead of going to 8x3, start a progression at 8x1 then wind up at 8x2, and if all else fails, just go with the singles. that right there should be a good 2+ years of progression without stalling. If you were at 265 now, and could be at 405+ for 8 singles in 2 years from now, would you be happy with that?

April 7

Incline Bench Press
265 x 3
265 x 3
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2

Chest Supported Rows
165 x 3
165 x 3
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2

Chinups
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2

*wow, this workout was more mentally fatiguing than physically. Waiting 90-120 seconds between each set was a marathon with all these sets, you might also say pretty boring as well. My post workout shake never tasted so good, I can tell you that!

*I wanted to do another push, but I just realized I didn't have the patience or the energy to do 32 total sets. I also want to keep upper and lower stuff separate, so today I decided that the pull stuff needs priority. I went with inclines so it was sort of a combo between the bench press and overhead press to kill two birds with one stone. Maybe next time I will just take the incline press to 10 sets total and just do that plus the rows and chins, who knows what I will decide by next time

Last edited:
thats alot of sets. how did you have the energy to do that all?

I tried the creatine before workout on Monday and I wound up drinking about 3 times more than I normally do during a workout. Not sure if it was the creatine or something else. Today I went back to creatine after and water consumption during workout returned to normal. I may try creatine before tomorrow's workout and see what happens.

April 7

Incline Bench Press
265 x 3
265 x 3
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2
265 x 2

Chest Supported Rows
165 x 3
165 x 3
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2

Chinups
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2

*wow, this workout was more mentally fatiguing than physically. Waiting 90-120 seconds between each set was a marathon with all these sets, you might also say pretty boring as well. My post workout shake never tasted so good, I can tell you that!

*I wanted to do another push, but I just realized I didn't have the patience or the energy to do 32 total sets. I also want to keep upper and lower stuff separate, so today I decided that the pull stuff needs priority. I went with inclines so it was sort of a combo between the bench press and overhead press to kill two birds with one stone. Maybe next time I will just take the incline press to 10 sets total and just do that plus the rows and chins, who knows what I will decide by next time

:clapping: you're such a stud!!!

:clapping: you're such a stud!!!

thanks babe! funny story....the last person to ever call me a "stud" was my old neighbor who happened to be gay. He was having a garage sale, and I was pulling out of my driveway, and he comes running over with something in his hand, hands it to me and says "Ooh, I found one". It was a stud finder.....:D

thats alot of sets. how did you have the energy to do that all?

well, being that most of the time spent on the workout was rest time, it wasn't too bad physically, like I said, it was more mentally taxing just to get through it.

I also sip a dextrose/bcaa drink during the workout which seems to give me the necessary energy to get through these type workouts, then I have my normal protein/dextrose/maltodextrin drink post workout.

IML Gear Cream!
I tried the creatine before workout on Monday and I wound up drinking about 3 times more than I normally do during a workout. Not sure if it was the creatine or something else. Today I went back to creatine after and water consumption during workout returned to normal. I may try creatine before tomorrow's workout and see what happens.

it was definitely the creatine. not necessarily a bad thing drinking all that water, but it definitely sucks up a lot of water. I think the before hand reasoning is that it gets into your muscles and helps you during your current workout.

I never saw the need to preload with creatine, unless you are purposely trying to get the creatine water volumizing effect to artifically inflate your muscles. I guess it is more of a psychological thing than anything else. We all know what its true purpose is, and taking it before your workout seems to be the best time since it allows you to use whatever you injest during the workout.

April 9

RIs=2 min

Trap Bar Deadlifts
375 x 3
375 x 3
375 x 2
375 x 2
375 x 2
375 x 2
375 x 2
375 x 2

Glute-Ham Raises
BW x 7
BW x 6
BW x 6

Just continuing to evolve my workout plan, breaking it into 2 upper and 2 lower days with a 2 on 1 off schedule. The lack of failure allows me to do a lot of sets and not get burned out, plus those 2 and 3 rep sets help too.

The first phase of each workout will continue to be 8x2 progressing to 8x3 which started at 80%, and now I am adding a second phase which will be 3x6 progressing to 3x8 starting at 70%.

nice deadlifts. i can't stand having to wait a long time between sets it makes me want to punch someone/something.

April 10

Dips
BW+115 x 3
BW+115 x 3
BW+115 x 3
BW+115 x 3
BW+115 x 2
BW+115 x 2
BW+115 x 2
BW+115 x 2

Close Grip Chins
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2
BW+50 x 2

Floor Press
235 x 7
235 x 7
235 x 6

Upright Rows
110 x 7
110 x 7
110 x 6

thanks babe! funny story....the last person to ever call me a "stud" was my old neighbor who happened to be gay. He was having a garage sale, and I was pulling out of my driveway, and he comes running over with something in his hand, hands it to me and says "Ooh, I found one". It was a stud finder.....:D

:roflmao:

april 11

Squats
225 x 15
225 x 15
*wide stance, below parallel

Seated OH Press
155 x 10
155 x 10

Chinups
BW+25 x 10
BW+25 x 8

*yep, high reps today. And yep, I suck. Squats took every last bit of wind out of me, and these were only 15 reppers, God help me to get those last 5, but I don't care, 15 is good enough for now.

*Funny to actually be out of breath at the end of a set, I guess those 2 and 3 rep sets aren't very taxing on the old lungs :D

awesome workout, amigo! betcha you will be walking funny tomorrow!
Go enjoy your Easter bunny now!
May you and your family have a great Easter, Stew!

April 13

All RIs=90 sec

Bench Press
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3

Chest Supported Rows
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3

Seated OH Press
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3

Chinups
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3
BW+50 x 3

*OK, so the 8x3 workouts are really fun if you can get past the length of the workouts plus the boring factor of doing 8 sets of an exercise. It's good because you can use heavy weight, and for the most part (if you start conservatively enough) you should be able to go through a few workouts before you even come close to a failure point on the last few sets, which is a good thing for recovery. When you shorten the rest periods, you get a nice pump effect going, nothing like a high rep set, but actually a more satisfying pump if that makes sense, since it is heavy weight driven.

*I am *planning* on alternating between a heavy 8x3 and a lighter 3x8 for an upper and lower day, for 4 workouts in a week.

April 13

*I am *planning* on alternating between a heavy 8x3 and a lighter 3x8 for an upper and lower day, for 4 workouts in a week.

Sounds like a plan! ;)
Guess what?!.............my trainer said I should think about powerlifting, hes really noticed my strength increasing, so we might change up my training.:nail:

Sounds like a plan! ;)
Guess what?!.............my trainer said I should think about powerlifting, hes really noticed my strength increasing, so we might change up my training.:nail:

wow! powerlifting huh? I know you're certainly getting stronger, but are you even into that? Would you want to compete in a powerlifting meet? As someone who has done it, I really would only recommend getting into powerlifting training if your goal is to compete. There is certainly nothing wrong with the routines, but I don't see the benefit of going for max attempts and all around heavy weight unless that is your goal.

What you're doing seems to be working just fine, why switch it up? Of course, if you want to compete, by all means go for it! Remember though, that in most cases, you will never see a woman competing raw, so you will have to invest in equipment like a bench shirt and squat suit and learn how to use that stuff in your training. I think the risk of injury is too great for a woman to even consider competing raw. So keep that in mind as you go forward.

I mean, I am actually finally training people now and taking on clients, mostly women now of course, and I have one client who is my "all star" client, she is just kicking some serious ass, and getting strong as ever, not quite up to par with you yet, but getting there, and I would never suggest a powerlifting routine to her unless she told me that's what she wanted. I don't mean to criticize, but your trainer is defintely "different" to say the least. :p

IML Gear Cream!
wow! powerlifting huh? I know you're certainly getting stronger, but are you even into that? Would you want to compete in a powerlifting meet? As someone who has done it, I really would only recommend getting into powerlifting training if your goal is to compete. There is certainly nothing wrong with the routines, but I don't see the benefit of going for max attempts and all around heavy weight unless that is your goal.

What you're doing seems to be working just fine, why switch it up? Of course, if you want to compete, by all means go for it! Remember though, that in most cases, you will never see a woman competing raw, so you will have to invest in equipment like a bench shirt and squat suit and learn how to use that stuff in your training. I think the risk of injury is too great for a woman to even consider competing raw. So keep that in mind as you go forward.

I mean, I am actually finally training people now and taking on clients, mostly women now of course, and I have one client who is my "all star" client, she is just kicking some serious ass, and getting strong as ever, not quite up to par with you yet, but getting there, and I would never suggest a powerlifting routine to her unless she told me that's what she wanted. I don't mean to criticize, but your trainer is defintely "different" to say the least. :p

Good point, I was just excited that he even mentioned it, kinda surprised really. If I say I want to train a certain way, we'll do that but I certainly take to mind what he says or recommends.
I'm not up to buying all the equipment ect. and competing. He only said something bc Ive been train for bodybuilding for so long but have never been able to diet. :p I'll probly never do a show but I just really like being strong:D

Good point, I was just excited that he even mentioned it, kinda surprised really. If I say I want to train a certain way, we'll do that but I certainly take to mind what he says or recommends.
I'm not up to buying all the equipment ect. and competing. He only said something bc Ive been train for bodybuilding for so long but have never been able to diet. :p I'll probly never do a show but I just really like being strong:D

hell yeah being strong is awesome! Stick with your heavy exercises in the 4-6 rep range, I wouldn't go any lower than that, you risk injury that way, and since you don't want to compete for anything, just keep pounding away with those heavy weights, and I think you'll be plenty strong.

Maybe just think about a movement based workout instead of bodypart bodybuilding oriented, and just get brutally strong on each of those movements.

April 14

Trap Bar Deads
410 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1

Sumo SLDL
225 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 8

Ab Circuit x 2
Decline Crunches
BW+25 x
Reverse crunches
BW x 10
Bridges
BW+35 x 10

*Singles strength really in the shitter with all the crap I've been doing since my powerlifting meet in December. What a waste. I deadlifted 520 in that meet, I don't even know if I can conventional deadlift 450 now or even 4 plates for that matter.

SEE WHERE FUCKING AROUND GETS YOU? Nowhere, that's where. Let me be an example to all of you....pick a goal and stick with it no matter what, it will pay off in the end.

I should really follow my own advice :mad:

Wow!!!!!!! Did I just see some ab work in here :mooh: I think I would fall over if I saw some cardio too!!

:eek: hahahahahaha

Wow!!!!!!! Did I just see some ab work in here :mooh: I think I would fall over if I saw some cardio too!!

:eek: hahahahahaha

I see the stress of a high powered IT job and two little kids at home hasn't taken away your sense of humor :paddle:

Actually it's funny, I've begun to actually take on some clients for personal training, and I have them doing all this stuff that I don't do, and it kind of set in that maybe I should be doing at least SOME of that stuff too, hehe.:D

And even though I didn't write it here, I actually ran some suicides with two of my clients the other day, we did sets of them, and I just ran with them, you know for motivation (for them, or is it for me?)

April 16

RI=90 sec

a1. Bench Press
275 x 4
275 x 4
275 x 4
275 x 4
275 x 4
275 x 4
275 x 4
275 x 4

a2. Chest Supported Rows
175 x 4
175 x 4
175 x 4
175 x 4
175 x 4
175 x 4
175 x 4
175 x 4

*a1, rest, a2, rest, a1, rest, etc.

b1. Standing DB Press
65 x 6
65 x 6
65 x 6

b2. Pullups
BW x 6
BW x 6
BW x 6

*b1, rest, b2, rest, b1, rest, etc.

Who the hell thought up this workout? Oh yeah, I did, duh. Damn, it's amazing how you can plan a workout on paper that doesn't seem so bad, and then when you're doing it, you realize it is hard as balls.

The bench and rows were one more rep than last time I did them, the goal would be to do 8 sets of 5 with the same weight, and when completed, add weight and go back to 8x3. For the second part, these were new exercises I haven't done in a while, starting with 3x6 and working up to 3x8, then add weight and go back to 3x6.

Probably could have done more on the db presses and pullups, but I was pretty gassed from the benching and rowing. My main concern is to complete the 8 set exercises, the secondary 3 set exercises are just, well, secondary, and can go up whenever they do.

nice job so on a scale of 1-10 how hard was this?

nice job so on a scale of 1-10 how hard was this?

Probably a solid 7. The first part is the hard part, and it's part mental too as it takes a while.

I am thinking about going to 10 sets apiece, and dropping the secondary work altogether, especially since I reaggrivated a major pain in my right forearm from the combo of getting the dbs up for the shoulder presses and then the pullups. I can't fricken do a pullup without pain in my arm, but I can do chinups with major weight on a belt no problem, go figure.

So when I do the workout with 10 sets of 5 reps on two major compound exercises, then ask me to reassess how hard it was :mooh:

April 17

RI=2 min

A1. Barbell Hack Squats
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3

B1. Bridges ss/ reverse crunches
+35 x 11/11
+35 x 11/11

*Not exactly sure why they call them hack "squats" because it's basically a deadlift with the bar behind you as opposed to in front of you. Boy does it change the movement dramatically though. Really seemed to hit my mid back area hard, it is a little bit awkward as the bar hits your calves and then your ass on the way up and you kind of have to guide the bar around them, but I really liked it for the first time doing them. Much more closer to a regular deadlift than a trap bar deadlift, with the added benefit of less low back stress. I actually think this movement hits the mid back region harder than the trap bar does.

I see the stress of a high powered IT job and two little kids at home hasn't taken away your sense of humor :paddle:

Actually it's funny, I've begun to actually take on some clients for personal training, and I have them doing all this stuff that I don't do, and it kind of set in that maybe I should be doing at least SOME of that stuff too, hehe.:D

And even though I didn't write it here, I actually ran some suicides with two of my clients the other day, we did sets of them, and I just ran with them, you know for motivation (for them, or is it for me?)

Suicides.......you are going from Zero to 100!! haha

Good to see you doing something for the most important muscle "the heart"!!

Back