• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

S14's "Taking A Break" Journal

Stewart14

Weapon of Choice
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
As the title implies, I am taking a break for a while from heavy lifting, and focusing on more volume at lower intensities. I plan on just taking the 4 rep sets that I have been doing and just doing that for everything, working from 5 to 8 sets of 4 reps and then adding 5 pounds per exercise and going back to 5 sets of 4 reps.

I've just been really tired lately, not sore at all, just super tired, and I think I probably am in the beginning stages of frying my CNS from the heavy singles I've been doing. It was working, but I was increasingly fatigued. So I am still going to keep up the high frequency, just hopefully by doing the 4 rep sets I will be taxing my muscles more than my CNS, and as long as I stay away from failure, I should be ok.

Keeping the same exercises with the exception of adding back in my beloved dips and upright rows, and replacing the regular bench press with a close grip bench instead.

Yesterdays workout followed the new guidelines, but it's in my old "quest for 405" journal. These workouts will be in this one. IF I ever get the urge to go back to my quest, I will revisit that journal.

March 7

Dips
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW+70 x 4
BW+70 x 4
BW+70 x 4
BW+70 x 4
BW+70 x 4

Close Grip Bench
250 x 4
250 x 4
250 x 4
250 x 4
250 x 4
250 x 4
250 x 4

Seated OH Press
160 x 4
160 x 4
160 x 4
160 x 4
160 x 4

I'm always interested in seeing what new stuff you come up with. :thumbs:

March 9

PULL

rp=25 sec

SLDL-315 x 6
Glute Ham Raises- BW+10 x 10 rp 4
Chest Supported Rows-
160 x 9 rp 3
Chinups- BW+50 x 6 rp 3
Hammer Curls-50 x 9 rp 4
Trap Bar Shrugs-320 x 15
Rear Laterals-50 x 10

I was reading through an old journal by Duncans Donuts and I got inspired to try something like he used to do. I say something like because it isn't exactly his, it is my own workout with some of his principles in it.

btw, I suck at rest pausing. I do so good on the first "set" and then the 25 sec rest pause just kills me. It was a good workout though, the first time I've really done a "bodybuilding" workout in a long time.

March 10

PUSH

Dips-BW+90 x 9 (30 sec) x 5
Flat DB Bench- 111 x 9 (30 sec) x 3
Seated DB Shoulder Press (Neutral Grip)- 76 x 8 (30 sec) x 4
Side Laterals- 30 x 10 (30 sec) x 8

*My DB handles weigh 6 pounds each, hence the weird numbers. It's gonna be fun to add weight to the dumbbells since I want to go up in very small increments, 2.5 pounds total on upper body, so I need to find a way to rig my 1 and a quarter pound plates to the handle.

*pleased with the db presses after a long layoff, but my best is still 130 pounders for about 5 reps, I want back there BADLY, not to mention I was doing BW+165 for a couple reps on dips before I got into all that powerlifting stuff, so bw+90 was a nice slice of humble pie

March 14

Squats
215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5

Trap Bar Deads
295 x 5
295 x 5
295 x 5
295 x 5
295 x 5

Neutral Grip Seated DB Overhead Press
60s x 5
60s x 5
60s x 5
60s x 5
60s x 5

Chinups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

IML Gear Cream!
Wow - I'm totally amazed you're changing it up.. how long have you been doing the heavy weights?? It's seems like forever..

...like he-man's not still doing heavy weight???
Wassup, stu!

Wow - I'm totally amazed you're changing it up.. how long have you been doing the heavy weights?? It's seems like forever..

yeah, I think it was too long, I could feel myself burning out from it. I want to get into more volume stuff, you know, up my capacity and all. It's a different kind of methodology, but just as important, I think, do you want to call yourself strong by being able to lift 350 pounds for sets of 1, or lifting 300 pounds for 5 sets of 5? I was just getting good at singles, and neglecting everything else, so it's time to bring up the multi rep stuff.

anyway, this is just the beginning, the weights will be getting heavier as the weeks go on, this is my "calm before the storm" so to speak. :wacko:

...like he-man's not still doing heavy weight???
Wassup, stu!

hows it going dude! I gotta tell you, you have the biggest balls ever to actually want to go where you are for a job no less, but hopefully it all pays off for you in the end, you're due for a run of good luck right?

Oh, and heavy is relative my friend. I am sure you'd be right there with me if you didn't take all that time off, so yeah, I am strong, but remember if I slack, it all goes to shit in a hurry. Wow, that kind of really sucks doesn't it? All the hard work to gain muscle and strength, and you can lose it just like that...wow, I just depressed myself!

:hiya:
Its always nice to change things up a bit:) Looking great, keep it up!

hows it going dude! I gotta tell you, you have the biggest balls ever to actually want to go where you are for a job no less, but hopefully it all pays off for you in the end, you're due for a run of good luck right?

Oh, and heavy is relative my friend. I am sure you'd be right there with me if you didn't take all that time off, so yeah, I am strong, but remember if I slack, it all goes to shit in a hurry. Wow, that kind of really sucks doesn't it? All the hard work to gain muscle and strength, and you can lose it just like that...wow, I just depressed myself!
tell me about it...I was looking thru some of my old journals for something and saw some of the workouts I used to post...I'z gotz lotz ta do!
But, will be there and beyond.
So...if you think about slacking off...think of ol Mike here...and what I let happen to msyelf. You don't wanna be here...

eh...not too worried about it here. Am missing a lot of things, but if I had stayed where I was, I'd never get ahead. This way, spend a couple years over here, pay off all my debts, rack up some cash and move forward. I'd still like the opportunity to met someone and have a family someday. This is that door to lead there.
Speaking of which, how's your family?

if I slack, it all goes to shit in a hurry. Wow, that kind of really sucks doesn't it? All the hard work to gain muscle and strength, and you can lose it just like that...wow, I just depressed myself!

Amen to that! I think that's why I don't like to take time off from the gym. There are some theories that taking time off is beneficial, but I prefer a scaled down workout to no workout at all. Even when I go on vacation, I try to find a gym for an occasional workout.

tell me about it...I was looking thru some of my old journals for something and saw some of the workouts I used to post...I'z gotz lotz ta do!
So...if you think about slacking off...think of ol Mike here...and what I let happen to msyelf. You don't wanna be here...

eh...not too worried about it here. Am missing a lot of things, but if I had stayed where I was, I'd never get ahead. This way, spend a couple years over here, pay off all my debts, rack up some cash and move forward. I'd still like the opportunity to met someone and have a family someday. This is that door to lead there.

Family is doing good, my son is now almost 2 and a half, unfortunately he isn't really talking yet, so that makes things a bit difficult, but he is super smart, understands everything, just won't say anything, but he is a blast right now...can be a bit of a pain, but he is great. Baby number 2 is actually almost here as well, and it's going to be a little girl, so I have already invested in a gun cabinet and some rifles and handguns, you know for when she reaches her teenage years :D

As for me, well, being a stay at home dad now for almost a year and a half, I have lost touch with the adult world somewhat, my life consists of Mickey Mouse, Little Einsteins, Spongebob and airplane and train videos. If you asked me about IT work, I probably forgot everything I knew, but I can recite to you word for word every Mickey mouse clubhouse episode, so does that count for something?

IML Gear Cream!

Oh, and you know what, I don't think you made a bad choice. If I was offered what you are doing back in say 2001-2002, when my life was pretty shitty, I might have done the same thing for the same reasons. It's probably a great opportunity for you given the circumstances, of course I would never even consider it now regardless of the $$$, and I hope that once you get back here, things become a little more "clearer" for you as well.:thumb:

Oh, and you know what, I don't think you made a bad choice. If I was offered what you are doing back in say 2001-2002, when my life was pretty shitty, I might have done the same thing for the same reasons. It's probably a great opportunity for you given the circumstances, of course I would never even consider it now regardless of the $$$, and I hope that once you get back here, things become a little more "clearer" for you as well.:thumb:
I think I mis-typed that. I made some bad decisions which led me to come here. Wipe the slate clean and get a 'do-over'.
Congrats on the family, my friend!
No worries on the boy! He'll start talking when he has something to say.
oh...gawd...you watch spongebob? That's wow...dude, I dunno how you can put up with that! I think I could 'do' Barney better than that unteachable idiot...
I was hung over at a friends house from Oktoberfest last fall. His 6 year old, came into the family room, put on that show...watched 5 minutes of it then left...with it on the tv....ringing in my hung-over ears..."make the pain go away...and help me with my headache too"
I'm getting back into IT...I've been in and around the world for the past 10 years, but this is the 1st time I've actually really done it. So, I'm taking notes and asking questions. Of course, by the time I leave here..I'll be heavily cert'd and prolly running the show... :p

Amen to that! I think that's why I don't like to take time off from the gym. There are some theories that taking time off is beneficial, but I prefer a scaled down workout to no workout at all. Even when I go on vacation, I try to find a gym for an occasional workout.

see, the world needs more people like us TT, you know the ones who will work out at the hotel gym even on a vacation. I've never taken time off since I started getting serious about this stuff and it has to be close to 10 years now. I just don't see the point. If I were to take a week off, I wouldn't come back recharged and stronger, I would come back weak as shit. I really don't get where they come up with that stuff?

Don't rush him. Once they start, they never shut up. :laugh:

So I've been told :D

you need to understand the context though. He was a late walker too, didn't start walking till he was 19 months old. People said the same thing about him walking and being able to get around, but you know what? Since it took so long, we never minded, we were so happy about it we didn't care, still don't. Same with the talking. We just want to hear his little voice so bad, we don't care if he won't shut up. He says 4 things clearly: "go", "yeah", "wow", and "oh no". everything else is the first syllable of the word.

see, the world needs more people like us TT, you know the ones who will work out at the hotel gym even on a vacation.

We don't want too many like us, though, because then all those gyms would be crowded when we were on vacation and trying to workout. :lol:

If I were to take a week off, I wouldn't come back recharged and stronger, I would come back weak as shit. I really don't get where they come up with that stuff?

Is this a case of "one size does not fit all"? For some people, the time off helps. For others, it has the opposite effect.

wow this is a change thats for sure. good luck

March 18

Bench Press
135 x 8
225 x 5
267.5 x 5

Chest Supported Rows
90 x 8
140 x 5
165 x 5

Neutral Grip DB Shoulder Press
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5

Chinups
+15 x 5
+15 x 5
+15 x 5
+15 x 5
+15 x 5

*Well, week 2 on this new plan and still pretty easy, next week is when the fun really begins, I don't think I will be "taking a break" for much longer :mooh:

Back