NapsGear.net

Tingling Sensation in back, or Back paresthesia

Why so serious?

Rep Points

Tingling Sensation in back, or Back paresthesia

So for the past 4 or so months I have been feeling a tingling sensation on the right side of my back. I did some research and it turns out I have Back paresthesia =/ . Some of the possible causes for this that where listed included back injury, and peripheral nerve damage, and peripheral nerve compression.

I strongly believe it is being caused by one of these things as I work as a stocker and many times do very heavy lifting. Apart from this I used to do deadlifts and lets say my form was not perfected. About a month ago I stopped going to the gym for like 2 1/2 weeks and the tingling sensation was going away, only felt it 2 or 3 times a day instead of constantly 24/7. I felt good enough to go back in the gym and that day I did deadlifts and the next day the tingling sensations where back and haven't stopped to this day.

If I go to the doctor I am pretty sure he will tell me to take a rest from the gym and avoid heavy lifting. Thing is, my work requires heavy lifting and there is no way I can bypass it. So I ask anyone reading this what do you all recommend I do? If you have had this problem how did you deal with it? I don't want to stop lifting weights though I will stop doing deadlifts and squats all together for a month or more. Any tips? Suggestions? Advice?

Edit:
    By the way, sometimes I feel tingling sensation others times I feel numbness and others times I feel both at the same time.
    Last edited by DesertFox; 03-27-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    The only thing that is consistent in life is change.

Rep Points

I think I'm at this crossroads, too. I experience tingling and numbness in my lower back and legs after going heavy on the deads. This is only for a few minutes after the heaviest of sets, but it still gives me a bit of grief. For example, I have to sit down almost immediately after the set as my midsection/lower back and legs feel like they can't hold me up any longer. It's a mix of that lactic acid burn and ultimate failure feeling where your muscle has nothing left to give. It's not painful, just a numb almost semi-paralysis (although I don't want to be a hypercondriact). I also find I have to occasionally lift my legs, or bend them to reduce the fatigue while I'm sitting down. The feeling's gone after a few minutes, but it feels weird nonetheless and I don't really get this feeling with leg training or anything else for that matter. I don't know if it's simply a case of taking my back to failure or I suffer a similar condition as yourself.

I guess we have to either swap exercises where we can train around the problem (if possible) or simply lower the weight we train with.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
    So for the past 4 or so months I have been feeling a tingling sensation on the right side of my back. I did some research and it turns out I have Back paresthesia =/ . Some of the possible causes for this that where listed included back injury, and peripheral nerve damage, and peripheral nerve compression.

I strongly believe it is being caused by one of these things as I work as a stocker and many times do very heavy lifting. Apart from this I used to do deadlifts and lets say my form was not perfected. About a month ago I stopped going to the gym for like 2 1/2 weeks and the tingling sensation was going away, only felt it 2 or 3 times a day instead of constantly 24/7. I felt good enough to go back in the gym and that day I did deadlifts and the next day the tingling sensations where back and haven't stopped to this day.

If I go to the doctor I am pretty sure he will tell me to take a rest from the gym and avoid heavy lifting. Thing is, my work requires heavy lifting and there is no way I can bypass it. So I ask anyone reading this what do you all recommend I do? If you have had this problem how did you deal with it? I don't want to stop lifting weights though I will stop doing deadlifts and squats all together for a month or more. Any tips? Suggestions? Advice?

Edit:
    By the way, sometimes I feel tingling sensation others times I feel numbness and others times I feel both at the same time.
    if you care about your back and health I would say stop working out until it's healed and take time off from your job, or find one that does not require constant lifting.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15