Actor Kal Penn's surprise suicide on 'House' opens way to job with Obama White House

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Actor Kal Penn's surprise suicide on 'House' opens way to job with Obama White House

This caught me by surprise, at first I thought he really did die....they had a little memorial at the end.

I like this show, I like his gruffness.
    BY MICHAEL SAUL
    DAILY NEWS POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

Updated Tuesday, April 7th 2009, 11:54 AM

New Jersey-born actor Kal Penn, who played a stoner Guantanamo Bay escapee in the movies and a doctor on TV's "House," has scored a job in the White House. Way to go, dude!

Penn, 31, will become associate director in the White House Office of Public Liaison, administration officials confirmed Tuesday.

The actor campaigned extensively throughout the country for President Obama last year and was a hit on college campuses.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Penn explained why he decided to leave "House." His character inexplicably committed suicide in an episode that aired Monday night.

"I was incredibly honored a couple of months ago to get the opportunity to go work in the White House," Penn explained. "I got to know the President and some of the staff during the campaign and had expressed interest in working there."

Penn described the office as the "front door" of the White House, saying he'll be responsible for doing outreach with the American public.

"They take out all of the red tape that falls between the general public and the White House," he said. "It's similar to what I was doing on the campaign."

Penn gained fame as the co-star of the raucous and profane "Harold and Kumar" stoner comedies that have become a cult favorite with fans worldwide. The first installment, "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle," followed the misadventures of two New Jersey guys with a pot-stoked craving for their favorite burgers.

He famously smoked weed with a fictional President Bush in the sequel, "Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo Bay,"

Penn also starred in Mira Nair's 'The Namesake,' and played a terrorist in a recurring role on "24."

Penn acknowledged that ditching Hollywood for Washington comes with a massive pay cut.

"There's not a lot of financial reward in these jobs," he said. "But, obviously, the opportunity to serve in a capacity like this is an incredible honor."

As it turns out, Penn will not be working in the White House, per se. His office will be in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, located next to the West Wing and housing most of the White House staff.

Penn, an Indian-American born in Montclair, New Jersey, said he's long been interested in both the arts and public service. His grandparents marched with Gandhi in the Indian independence movement, "and that was always in the back of my head."

On the campaign trail, Kumar helped get actor friend Brendan Rough, aka Superman in "Superman Returns," to stump for Obama. On occasion, they campaigned together.

Asked if he's giving up acting, Penn replied, "Not necessarily."

"Who's to say where any path leads?" he said. "I still have a passion for it. But for the time being, I won't be acting."

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Very cool, that was a good story Min0.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Call me when you have trouble sleeping, I can give wonderful bedtime stories.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

And call me when your just going to bed.

Rep Points

you have got to be kidding me
    Chuck Norris once lost his keys and couldn't remember where he put them. So he tortured himself for half an hour until he gave up their location.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by oaktownboy View Post
    No, that usually starts out with a "knock knock".

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by oaktownboy View Post
    Why?

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yeah, were just being facetious that's what we do here!

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yeah, he's the ombudsman for the Legalize It Program Obama is working on......we's gonna be shmokin' in the boys room with no recourse, not shmokin pole like Min0, but ganja the good stuff, da spleef of sensimi(y)a.........or they realized that after Slum Dog Millionaire there weren't enough people of Indian descent to keep the staff fashionable.....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    Yeah, he's the ombudsman for the Legalize It Program Obama is working on......we's gonna be shmokin' in the boys room with no recourse, not shmokin pole like Min0, but ganja the good stuff, da spleef of sensimi(y)a.........or they realized that after Slum Dog Millionaire there weren't enough people of Indian descent to keep the staff fashionable.....
    Hey!

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

Kal Penn spoke on Obama' behalf here at school earlier this year.
    Age: 22 | Height: 5'8" | Weight: 150 lbs | Penis: 12 inches

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Cool. See, you can make a lot of dough and not be a greedy bastard!