25% Off Black Friday Sale

water consumption? Need help!

Rep Points

water consumption? Need help!

Now I've always heard about the benefits of drinking water in body building however, I have a couple questions....

The first..
    How can I figure out how much water I should be consuming daily in order to achieve all of good ol' H2O's benefits? I've heard a half gallon to a gallon, I've heard half your body weight in ounces, I've heard a lot of things. So I would appreciate it if someone could set me straight on that.

Second..
    I'm just curious, How is it that drinking water when your body is not telling you that it needs it healthy? If water cleans everything out, then theoretically wouldn't it wash out all of the good things in your system along with the bad things?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Good rule of thumb is that if you're peeing clear, you're doing pretty good.

Thirst is a sign of minor dehydration which is why most people will drink water even when not thirsty. Even minor dehydration can have detrimental effects on strength.
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Rep Points

ya i guess thats a better way to put it lol
    Life is hard, Train harder My Goals Blog
    go big or go home
    friend " man i am not feeling the gym today" me " all i hear is la la la i am a little bitch"

Amor Fati

Rep Points

Anywhere from 2-4L/day minimum depending on water loss. I don't count my water intake but make sure, as Danzik said, that my pee is pretty close to clear.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

Rep Points

Water has many beneficial functions within the body, not just flushing out toxins. It is where most of the enzymatic reactions within the body take place, for example. As has been mentioned, a quick and easy measure of hydration state is urine color. The closer to clear the better. Its hard to put a definite answer on how much water you need to take in during the day as there are many factors that can influence it. For example, I live in AZ where it is 110 in the summer, I have to drink a lot more water than someone that lives in Alaska, for example. While you can get "water poisoning" from too much water, the levels required to reach this level are very high, so just drink as much water as you are comfortable taking in. I hope that this helps shed a little light on an often overlooked aspect of nutrition.
    AAEFX Board Representative

Rep Points

I work in the laboratory and see TONS of urine samples everyday that we test for everything that should or should not be there. Here is my two cents on H2O consumption. I can tell from lookng at a sample if certain things will be elevated or normal and not just color but the smell as well. If you are dehydrated you will have a stronger oder than if you are hydrated.

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply in order to survive.

The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters a day. You lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. So if you consume 2 a day along with your normal diet, you will typically replace the lost fluids.

You can also think of it as you need to drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Males should consume roughly 3 liters of water a day. Women should try to consume about 2 liters of water a day.

So these are the approximate "normal" ranges for your daily adult. As others have mentioned, look at your climate. I live in Seattle, Washington...its wet, rainy, low humidity and seldom above 95 degrees here. I work out at least 4 times a week. I personally consume at least a gallon of water in a day. I take my shaker cup to work and always fill it to the 20 ounce mark and will count the number of times I refill it. Yes, I go pee more than others but I can also tell when I have not had enough as my urine will be darker at one point or another during the day.

Honestly, base it from the color of your urine. Assuming your not on any antibiotics, or other medications, if you drink enough water in a day you should at least have a clear to slightly tinted urine once in a days time. DO NOT try to consume a gallon or more within a extremely short period of time. To much water without activity in a short period of time is known as Water Intoxication and can lead to an electrolyte imbalance and possible death. Take several glasses throughout your day. Most important is before, during and after your workout routine.

Just increase your amount little by little each day. Your body will tell you when you have had to much.....LOL

Rep Points

I have always heard half bodyweight in ounces and thats what I have been doing for the last few months. The first week I was peeing all the time, even in the middle of the night which I never did before. The body gets used to it. I have to say I def feel healthier just from that.
    Zero Joint Pain
    Flexcin