Training around a back injury

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk View Post
    Yea, submaximal conditioning/work capacity stuff.

For example, since we are talking about sprint training, you would have your sprint days, which are +90% (but not maximal for speed or distance), which are done on your leg days.

The tempo work would be on your upper body days. For example, it may be something like tempo runs at a low intensity (<75% intensity) and you may do something like 200m tempo run, followed by a walk recovery, and repeat. Or, you may do a low volume of longer distance tempo work, like say, 3x600m tempo runs with active recovery, again at <75%. The reason that the tempo work is below 75% is to ensure that you are not sapping your nervous system so that you can adequately work on your speed/sprint days. The speed work is over 90% because anything below 90% (in that 75-85% range) is too slow to be considered speed work and to fast to be considered tempo work (or speed endurance work), so it will just burn you out.

Other things you can do for tempo work may be something like rowing intervals, bike intervals (if those don't bother your back) or, I like to use either KB snatches or KB swings (can use DBs if you want) for something like 15sec work:15sec rest for a set amount of time.

Those are just some ideas. So many ways to set up a training program though.

patrick
    Are you advocating doing sprints and also lifting legs on the same day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Leg Lift 05/05/2009

I know this isn't a training log and i don't plan to hijack the thread and use it as one but...

I figured for the next three weeks I would post my leg workouts, how it felt on the disc (I have a herniated disc l5 S-1), and how it was in terms of intesity.

05-05-09

Squats (rest was about 1:30-2):

10X135
    8X185
    8X185
    8X185
    8X185
    8X185
    6X205
    6X205
    4X215
    4X215

5 sets of the following:
    10 single leg ham curls (65 lbs hammer strength)
    20 seated calf raises (85lbs)

Felt good. No back pain beyond the usual today. Pretty sore.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterTX View Post
    Are you advocating doing sprints and also lifting legs on the same day?
    that's what it says.

patrick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

My brother has a similar back injury.
    I will be sure to point him to this thread

Ya, I know, ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Patrick thanks for taking your time with such a detailed answer! I appreciate you knowledge being shared as well as the fact you are not all ego DO WHAT I SAY .Very professionally worded and delivered.
    I am fortunate enough to have a copy of Take Chargeso I will be able to see what you are talking about in regards to the exercises you mentioned. (for those of us who are visual learners and just read this page as "words, words, words"

I will be back to the gym in 8 weeks for lower work and the information you gave me here actually motivates me more to seek out my PT crew to help me with the hip mobility vs spine mobility. My hips are almost locked into a crooked position which is either a result of the stenosis or the cause? Hypothetical thoughts here?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Moe View Post
    Patrick thanks for taking your time with such a detailed answer! I appreciate you knowledge being shared as well as the fact you are not all ego DO WHAT I SAY .Very professionally worded and delivered.
    I am fortunate enough to have a copy of Take Chargeso I will be able to see what you are talking about in regards to the exercises you mentioned. (for those of us who are visual learners and just read this page as "words, words, words"

I will be back to the gym in 8 weeks for lower work and the information you gave me here actually motivates me more to seek out my PT crew to help me with the hip mobility vs spine mobility. My hips are almost locked into a crooked position which is either a result of the stenosis or the cause? Hypothetical thoughts here?
    "Locked in a crooked position", as in hip flexion (anterior tilt)?

It could be a chicken or an egg thing. Unfortunately, static posture doesn't always dictate dynamic capacity, so that may or may not be the cause of the issue. This is why having someone assess dynamic movement as well as static posture is helpful for making sense of the big picture. For all you know, the cause may just have been a significant amount of loading overtime, or something to that effect. At any rate, if your hips are "locked up" and hip mobility is impaired, then that is probably something that you are going to want to try and remedy, as the limitation may be leading to something more significant up the chain. Soft tissue work for the hip flexors can be very helpful and you can do some stuff to just treat yourself and improve tissue quality. Then follow that up with some lengthening and strengthening to develop better function and movement.

patrick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

that's what it says.

patrick
    How would you set up that days program?

Warm-Up/Dynamics-Sprint-Weights moving from one to the next, or would you structure in some kind of rest and recovery period? If so how long of a recovery period?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

How would you set up that days program?

Warm-Up/Dynamics-Sprint-Weights moving from one to the next, or would you structure in some kind of rest and recovery period? If so how long of a recovery period?
    huh? I thought I answered that in the previous few posts? Are you asking something different?

patrick

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Rooster, it's all in the "summary" post http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/tr...ml#post1893467

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I see that your progression was: warm-up/sprint work/lift. I'm wondering if you just move from one to the next, or whether you structure in additional rest (5-10 min or whatever) between the sprints and the lifts. I generally try to get out to a track to do my sprints, treadmills just don't work for me on sprint intervals, and the closest track is about 20 away from the facility where I weight train. If I do my sprints and lifts back to back I'm going to have a 20 minute car ride in between, plus 15 minutes of logistics. That being said might it be better to try and break the workouts in two, doing sprint work in the am and lifting in the pm, or should I be unconcerend by the 35 min cool-down car ride.

I'm sorry, I haven't been very clear about what it is that I'm getting at. Thanks your your help.

huh? I thought I answered that in the previous few posts? Are you asking something different?

"For example, if you look in my journal (on my site), on wed., we did all our sprinting first and then our deadlifts. Our warm up was about 20min of activity centering around some dynamic mobility drills and 100m strides. Then, we did some subamximal 30m sprints to get the legs prepared. Then we were ready. We alternated sets of weighted 30m accelerations (low weight) and un-weighted 30m accelerations. Trying to accelerate up to the 20m mark (established by a cone) and then maintain that pace for the final 10m. We did 3 weight sprints and 3 unweighted sprints (6 total) and then we did a variety of medicine ball throws. Then we went inside and worked on some deadlifts and called it a day."
    patrick

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Rooster, I'll defer to P-funk for this, but if I had to do it this way, I'd probably just sip a shake between locations. It's only 20 minutes.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I see that your progression was: warm-up/sprint work/lift. I'm wondering if you just move from one to the next, or whether you structure in additional rest (5-10 min or whatever) between the sprints and the lifts. I generally try to get out to a track to do my sprints, treadmills just don't work for me on sprint intervals, and the closest track is about 20 away from the facility where I weight train. If I do my sprints and lifts back to back I'm going to have a 20 minute car ride in between, plus 15 minutes of logistics. That being said might it be better to try and break the workouts in two, doing sprint work in the am and lifting in the pm, or should I be unconcerend by the 35 min cool-down car ride.

I'm sorry, I haven't been very clear about what it is that I'm getting at. Thanks your your help.
    I see what you are saying.

Breaking them up between AM and PM is certainly a good option.

As for the 35min. of cooldown between the sprinting and the lifting, if you are going to do them in the same session like that, I would just make sure that you appropriately warm up and prepare yourself prior to lifting, following the cooldown. You can certainly sip a shake during the 35min. break, as built has suggested.

patrick

Ya, I know, ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

"Locked in a crooked position", as in hip flexion (anterior tilt)?

It could be a chicken or an egg thing. Unfortunately, static posture doesn't always dictate dynamic capacity, so that may or may not be the cause of the issue. This is why having someone assess dynamic movement as well as static posture is helpful for making sense of the big picture. For all you know, the cause may just have been a significant amount of loading overtime, or something to that effect. At any rate, if your hips are "locked up" and hip mobility is impaired, then that is probably something that you are going to want to try and remedy, as the limitation may be leading to something more significant up the chain. Soft tissue work for the hip flexors can be very helpful and you can do some stuff to just treat yourself and improve tissue quality. Then follow that up with some lengthening and strengthening to develop better function and movement.

patrick

I think it is a chicken/egg thing. My right hip is forced forward while my left hip is forced back so it is twisting of the hips actually ( I am broken LOL).
    I have to work on tight hip flexors as well as recovery from the resulting damage to the spine and surrounding tissue.

Thanks a lot of this thread--and advice!

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Moe View Post
    I think it is a chicken/egg thing. My right hip is forced forward while my left hip is forced back so it is twisting of the hips actually ( I am broken LOL).
    I have to work on tight hip flexors as well as recovery from the resulting damage to the spine and surrounding tissue.

Thanks a lot of this thread--and advice!
    Damn, to bad you don't live closer. You sound like you would be a great case study for some of the things I have been checking out.

patrick

Ya, I know, ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Damn, to bad you don't live closer. You sound like you would be a great case study for some of the things I have been checking out.

patrick

ahh if I had a dollar every time someone said I would be a good case study...