Whats the differance between strength training and training for power?

wrk'n project mayhem

Rep Points

Whats the differance between strength training and training for power?

I've read a few articles lately that talk about doing a workout routine that involves using about 50 to 60% of your max and thrusting the weights at full force. For instance on bench press you might use a smith machine and force the press so hard that you almost throw it up and then catch it. or doing something like squats but jumping. They referred to it as more strength training.
    How does that differ from traditional 70 to 80% of your max weight in the 8 to 12 rep range or even 3 to 6reps for power?
    How does this also affect your physique? Make muscles bigger or more solid?

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Strength or Maximum Effort training = Lifting with a very high intensity, low volume, with a focus on lifting heavier and heavier weights.

Power or Dynamic Effort training = Lifting with a low intensity, low volume, with a focus on explosiveness and speed in a controlled manner.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

wrk'n project mayhem

Rep Points

ok well i kind of had an idea on the differance as far as what is involved with the work out itself. I guess my question is what is the differance in the results I'll achieve doing strength training vs training for power? can I still get bigger doing strength training (explosive reps)? will i get stronger also in the sense of the amount of weight I can do?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You will get bigger if you consistently eat more than you require.

Power and strength training assist each other. They are both welcome in a properly periodized training programme. P-Funk would be a good person to ask about this.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.