Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Drinking water and losing weight!

Rep Points

Drinking water and losing weight!

I don't know about you guys but I've heard this over and over for years but never really took it too seriously until recently but water really can help you lose weight. If you are dieting and hunger starts to make you want to cheat you can drink water to fill you up for a while and signal your regulators that you are full so that when you do sit down to a meal you wont feel like you need so much or eat past your planned calories.

Some studies have shown that thirst and hunger sensations are triggered together. If there is a slight dehydration the thirst mechanism may be mistaken for hunger and one may eat when the body is actually craving fluid.

In addition, Working out causes you to lose hydration through sweat so it’s important to replace lost water after a workout. I've found that it's suggested getting at least 64 ounces of water daily or eight 8-ounce glasses. Since I started doing this on a regular basis I find it a lot easier to stick with my bodybuilding nutrition plan than I did before and I am achieving the results I want a lot better.

Hope this helps!
    Build Muscle - Blast Fat !
    Egg Whites International

Rep Points

mmmmmmmkkkk.....welcome then i guess...i never heard that water is THAT important...i better start drinking about 2 1/2 gallons a day then..
    You've never lived untill you've almost died, life has an excitement that the protected will never know.

Ryan-Boro

Rep Points

a high intake of water also increases the bodies metabolism rate

Rep Points

Yeah...Water is really important but like everything you can over do it. I've heard of some people actually dying from drinking too much water. It's called water intoxication and I dont mean drowning
    Egg Whites International

Dookie

Rep Points

I'm going to go drink 5 gallons right now and I'll get back to you.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionGuy View Post
    mmmmmmmkkkk.....welcome then i guess...i never heard that water is THAT important...i better start drinking about 2 1/2 gallons a day then..
    noone caught my sarcasam here??? LOL....we should thank the dude tho...he is just trying to help and input his research....
    You've never lived untill you've almost died, life has an excitement that the protected will never know.

Rep Points

it is important to drink at least a gallon a day but it has never killed my appettite all it did was make me run to the bathroom more often - u have to be careful drinking too much water especially on an empty stomach u can deplete your electrolytes and cause health problems

Rep Points

Water makes me more hungry. Fills me up for like what? 10 mins? then after that it's sheer hunger
    Cheat on your girlfriend, not on your meal.

T_Man to He_Man - Journal

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by tatteredsaint View Post
    it is important to drink at least a gallon a day but it has never killed my appettite all it did was make me run to the bathroom more often - u have to be careful drinking too much water especially on an empty stomach u can deplete your electrolytes and cause health problems
    You can indeed drink too much water, or too much too fast. There are bigger problems than just flushing out your electrolytes - aldosterone and ADH get hip to your tricks pretty fast - ask anyone getting ready for a bb comp!

The problem with chugging tons of water all at once is that the average body can only clear just under a litre an hour - unless you're exceptionally dehydrated, you might want to spread your water consumption out over the course of the day.

How come it's more of a problem on an empty stomach? I haven't heard that one before.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    You can indeed drink too much water, or too much too fast. There are bigger problems than just flushing out your electrolytes - aldosterone and ADH get hip to your tricks pretty fast - ask anyone getting ready for a bb comp!

The problem with chugging tons of water all at once is that the average body can only clear just under a litre an hour - unless you're exceptionally dehydrated, you might want to spread your water consumption out over the course of the day.

How come it's more of a problem on an empty stomach? I haven't heard that one before.
    excellent info as far as I know the loss of electrolytes is through urination and maybe it's just me but if my I don't have anything in my stomach and I drink a lot of water I am going to the restroom more frequently than if there is something in there digesting

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

No, I think it's valid - you probably can "over" drink because you're so empty.

Fair warning to anyone.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Iam only 1 but stil Iam 1
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It's known as "Water Intoxication"(also known as 'hyper-hydration' or water poisoning)"

Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    QUIET IS MIGHT. SOLITUDE IS STRENGTH. INTROVERSION IS POWER.
    Words of a Wise Woman - We don't all get to have all things. I have been given more than most, not as much as others.
    I enjoy the gifts that I have, I share what I can, and try not to begrudge others for having things that I don't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Power House became my hospital and the iron became my medicine.

Rep Points

I notice when I drink water- even if its a half of a bottled water- it sits on my lower stomach- always pisses me off because it looks like I have a beer gut, and I don't drink alcohol!!!! Anyone else have this problem? I'm at 12% body fat currently.
    Goal: 8% Body Fat, maintain majority of muscle mass
    New Years Resolution: stick to a fitness and diet plan that works long term.

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

I water loaded to 3 gallons a day while prepping for a contest-granted not for a long period of time, but I have come close to overdoing it. I usually stick with a gallon to a gallon and a 1/2 especially when on a PH.

In BUILT We Trust

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

This may be a simple observation but..the water increases metabolism thing...

Is this just a matter of the body actually burning calories (using energy) to process water into the the system cuz its been devoured? AND...since water contains no nutrients, the body is using whatever calories have already been consumed to do this absorption/digestion?

Pretty basic understanding if this is the gist of it.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

If it does increase metabolism, it won't be by much.

It's good to stay hydrated, though.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

I do notice when I am not hydrated sufficiently enough, I get nasty little cramps in my neck and lower back

In BUILT We Trust

Rep Points

Do bodybuilders use water as a duiretic like wrestlers do? for some reason if you drink 2+ gallons of water for several days the body will react by expelling it. So the next couple of days you can drastically reduce water intake and the body will still continue to expell water. We used to do this all the time to make weight for wrestling matches.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You bet. It's all about manipulating aldosterone. I wrote about it in an article on WBB - I'll get it to Rob so he can publish it up here.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Iam only 1 but stil Iam 1
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It's no longer on WBB, here's the link Caution-Just Drink Water if you loose water weight rapidly - Wanna Be Big Bodybuilding and Weightlifting Forums (Try the link in first post)

Error as displayed at WBB,

"Error: Page not found!

This one is down to us!
    We have recently redesigned the site and the page you are looking for either doesn't exist or is in the process of being added back in.
    Please accept our apologies for this. We will see to it that the developer responsible for this broken link is given 20 lashes (but only after he or she has fixed this problem)."

Poor developer.....So indirectly I am responsible for the lashes

You bet. It's all about manipulating aldosterone. I wrote about it in an article on WBB - I'll get it to Rob so he can publish it up here.
    QUIET IS MIGHT. SOLITUDE IS STRENGTH. INTROVERSION IS POWER.
    Words of a Wise Woman - We don't all get to have all things. I have been given more than most, not as much as others.
    I enjoy the gifts that I have, I share what I can, and try not to begrudge others for having things that I don't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Power House became my hospital and the iron became my medicine.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionGuy View Post
    That's right! Good luck!
    Egg Whites International

Rep Points

Great!
    Egg Whites International

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by emitecaps View Post
    Do bodybuilders use water as a duiretic like wrestlers do? for some reason if you drink 2+ gallons of water for several days the body will react by expelling it. So the next couple of days you can drastically reduce water intake and the body will still continue to expell water. We used to do this all the time to make weight for wrestling matches.
    Interesting!
    Egg Whites International

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by T_man View Post
    Water makes me more hungry. Fills me up for like what? 10 mins? then after that it's sheer hunger
    haha!
    Egg Whites International

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by largepkg View Post
    I'm going to go drink 5 gallons right now and I'll get back to you.

That's great! Good luck!
    Egg Whites International