ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Your Cardio is Killing You!

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

when he was running on 10.5 he definitely reminded me of Robert Patrick's cop character in Terminator 2

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Glad to see I am not the only one who desperately tries to slow the treadmill down after each sprint. Although, he jumps off, then lowers it. Might be a good idea...

I wouldnt go down to 2.0 on a treadmill unless I was beginning, even still, perhaps 2.5. Reason being is 2.0 is more of a warm up/cool down pace. Otherwise, what the difference between a warm up/cool down pace and the pace thats in between the workouts?

Oh and not to offend any old timers here, but this guy is in great shape yet still looks odd to me. His hair in particular. Never understood why older men can have a good physique, yet have silly hair dos and ridiculous outfits.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

I suppose he feels that 2.0 is the speed that he can best recover at for the next sprint.

Never ending potency

Rep Points

What is his book?
    "Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is aimless. Vision with action will achieve."

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

weight loss health and fitness training

I liked this testimonial:

Rico, WOW!!! i've only had a chance to get to page 25, and wow!, i have to get ready for work, but its really hard to stop reading this. i plan to view the "SECRET" tomarrow. i have really never gotten a chance to know you, and you are a truly amazing man!, and very honest. i'm sure you get it alot, though we all try to be bigger than this, you see this eye candy guy, and kinda asumme there's not much inside, cause he's all about the outside. so, not true. thank you sooooo much for sending me this, and though i've just started reading it, i think everyone should!!!! hope you don't mind if I pass it on.

Rep Points

Am I the only one who likes his hair?
    "Well, I'd rather be cock monster than impotent."

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by m11 View Post
    when he was running on 10.5 he definitely reminded me of Robert Patrick's cop character in Terminator 2
    When he starts off, he runs exactly like Robocop.
    "Well, I'd rather be cock monster than impotent."

Skinny Tattooed Guy

Rep Points

Any truth to what he's claiming? Not that I don't believe that HIIT isn't good for you, but this is the first time I've heard anyone claim that medium intensity for a longer duration is somehow bad for you and shrinks your heart and lung capacity making you more susceptible to a heart attack. I'm no cardiologist, but that sounds like an odd claim to me. Thanks.

Greg

Rep Points

Cardio usually strengthens the heart. The heart muscle grows in response to the cardiovascular stresses during the exercise (much like other muscles grow in response to resistance training). This can sometimes cause obstructions of the ventricle but also can mess up electrical signals in the heart, causing arrhythmias.

But I don't know if there's any research to say longer duration aerobic exercise is more likely to cause HCM than something anaerobic like HIIT.

I know someone recently posted an article on the effects of aerobic training on athletes who compete in anaerobic sports. No doubt, there are a lot of negative affects from aerobic training on anaerobic fitness. But to say that longer duration cardio weakens/shrinks the heart, I don't think that's exactly true.

I understand the benefits of HIIT, I think a lot more people should do it (because aerobic training should really only be used at lengths by athletes who compete in aerobic sports), so I see what this guy is trying to say. Anaerobic stuff like HIIT is much better for things like fat loss anyway, which is the reason a lot of people are going to the gym.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Cute, but what he says is totally unfounded.

Also, his intervals are pretty much weaksauce. I hardly do cardio and I do 10mph sprints up a 12% grade. It seems like his intervals are barely anaerobic, which kind of misses some of the point.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Greg

Rep Points

Yeah, his intervals looked really lame to me. To me, hard interval training is probably the hardest intensity cardio you'll ever see, and that guy doesn't look tired/isn't even breathing heavily after his intervals.

Seriously, I think one of his fastest intervals was at 6 minute pace for about 1-2 minutes. That's a joke on a treadmill.

Never ending potency

Rep Points

Yeah, his intervals do seem easy...The way HIIT is performed, i don't think it would even get me too tired...

Currently, my cardio is two days a week and i run on the treadmill at 8.0 speed for 10mins, then increase to 9.0 speed at 11:30, then increase to 10.0 speed until 13.0mins. I run over 1.6 miles and I'm doing this just to keep endurance up for boot camp next month...

If i ran at 10.0 speed for a minute, then walked, then ran, etc...I wouldn't get tired....
    "Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is aimless. Vision with action will achieve."

Greg

Rep Points

Running at 10.0 (I'm assuming that's MPH) for 1 minute is nothing. That's running less than 3/4 of the track in 1 minute, which isn't really impressive at all, especialy given the rest he's giving himself.

The "HI" in HIIT is supposed to mean something...

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

My sprints consist of hard, balls to the wall runs. However its hard to do that on treadmills.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Rep Points

treadmills at my gym dont go fast enough for my HIIT. I dont like the feel of bouncing up and down on a treadmill and if you buckle, you break your leg. I prefer to feel my foot gripping and pushing off the tarmac/grass
    Cheat on your girlfriend, not on your meal.

T_Man to He_Man - Journal

Greg

Rep Points

I think most people should stick to bikes for HIIT. The impact seems pretty severe for your joints plus I think it's easier to keep form when cycling at a high cadence than when running at a high cadence.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    My sprints consist of hard, balls to the wall runs. However its hard to do that on treadmills.
    Just raise the incline dude. Trust me, 12mph @ 12% is enough to phase most people.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

I don't know. Something about machines that you can't alter fast enough. I use HIIT as a form of improving my speed too and I need that explosion at the beginning. I also get more motivation when I can physically see the end, and when I do push myself and give everything to reach that end, I wanna slow down as easily as my body wants to rather than as slowly as the numbers come down on a digital counter
    Cheat on your girlfriend, not on your meal.

T_Man to He_Man - Journal

Rep Points

Interesting vid.
    I am doing my cardio way wrong!