• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

POLL: "natural" vs. synthetic sweeteners/flavors

Natural vs synthetic sweeteners in protein powders

• I strictly use products with natural sweeteners/flavors

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I prefer natural to synthetic, but it's not a deal breaker

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I don't pay attention to how they do it, as long as it tastes good!

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I prefer protein powders with no flavors of any kind/flavor myself

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Will Brink

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Please take a moment to answer this poll. I am doing some consulting work for a supplement company, and they are deciding on the issue of natural vs synthetic sweeteners in their protein powders. I would be interested in what % of people care about this issue and your answers could very well have an impact on the final product!

May I ask which company?

Personally I prefer natural sweetners, I don't know if it is just me but I can taste the difference.

Personally I go for taste, if its natural that's a great bonus

May I ask which company?

Not at the moment, sorry. It's a small division of a much larger company owned by a mega company. Can't say more, but will when I get a chance. Thanx.:D

Since I don't compete, I'm not concered with things such as calories/sugar. As long as the protein is high quality, I go for taste.

Since I don't compete, I'm not concered with things such as calories/sugar. As long as the protein is high quality, I go for taste.

Will tabulate the votes after a week a figure but so far, a dead heat on the synthetic vs natural here. Need a larger sample set to get more accurate numbers!

Thanx for all the answers gang. Let it run a week and will now compare it to other places and tabulate.

IML Gear Cream!
Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to it.

No big surprises to me:

The forums below range from mostly young men (e.g., Muscular Development) to mostly young women (e.g., Oxygen) and the results are fairly consistent.

If you combine the answers from question 2 and 3 (which are in essence the same question in terms of purchase decisions) you get a clear picture; this demographic cares much more about taste and cost ( but that was not in the poll) then “natural” vs. synthetics.

Results from my BodyBuilding Revealed Forums:

I strictly use products with natural sweeteners/flavors 20.59%
I prefer natural to synthetic, but it's not a deal breaker 50.00%
I don't pay attention to how they do it, as long as it tastes good! 14.71%
I prefer protein powders with no flavors of any kind/flavor myself 14.71%

Results from Muscular Development Forums:

I strictly use products with natural sweeteners/flavors 8.82%
I prefer natural to synthetic, but it's not a deal breaker 29.41%
I don't pay attention to how they do it, as long as it tastes good! 58.82%
I prefer protein powders with no flavors of any kind/flavor myself 2.94%

Iron Magazine forums:

I strictly use products with natural sweeteners/flavors 36.36%
I prefer natural to synthetic, but it's not a deal breaker 18.18%
I don't pay attention to how they do it, as long as it tastes good! 45.45%
I prefer protein powders with no flavors of any kind/flavor myself 0

Siouxcountry.com

I strictly use products with natural sweeteners/flavors 5.41%
I prefer natural to synthetic, but it's not a deal breaker 43.24%
I don't pay attention to how they do it, as long as it tastes good! 45.95%
I prefer protein powders with no flavors of any kind/flavor myself 5.41%

Oxygen Magazine Forums:

I strictly use products with natural sweeteners/flavors 32.26%
I prefer natural to synthetic, but it's not a deal breaker 29.03%
I don't pay attention to how they do it, as long as it tastes good! 32.26%
I prefer protein powders with no flavors of any kind/flavor myself 6.45%

Sample sizes were not huge, but pretty consistent....

Last edited:
Those who said they like taste should be eating candy bars and ice cream for their health. Sport supplements are supposed to be for health, not for taste. If it is possible to make any supplemets taste better without compromising the quality of the product , that is fine . But compromising quality of the supplement in order to improve the taste is stupid idea.

Come on chobby...Give me a break!! Thats not always the case...

You are trying to take both sides here...IMHO

Those who said they like taste should be eating candy bars and ice cream for their health. Sport supplements are supposed to be for health, not for taste. If it is possible to make any supplemets taste better without compromising the quality of the product , that is fine . But compromising quality of the supplement in order to improve the taste is stupid idea.

Come on chobby...Give me a break!! Thats not always the case...

You are trying to take both sides here...IMHO
What kind of protein do you want to take for your workout: good tasting protein or good quality protein? :thinking:

Good tasting......after all I always get the 5lb jar & I want to enjoy my shake...

Post workout shake is something that I REALLY look forward to....:lick::lick:

But it's my personal preference....your's or other's can be different.

No offense chobby....:bounce:

What kind of protein do you want to take for your workout: good tasting protein or good quality protein? :thinking:

We're not arguing the quality of the protein. I'm sure Will isn't going to compromise on the quality of that. What we're arguing is the merits of synthetic versus natural sweeters (i.e. Splenda vs Stevia and such). With that in mind, your question has nothing to do with the argument/poll here.

We're not arguing the quality of the protein. I'm sure Will isn't going to compromise on the quality of that. What we're arguing is the merits of synthetic versus natural sweeters (i.e. Splenda vs Stevia and such). With that in mind, your question has nothing to do with the argument/poll here.
You need to read my all other posts to understand my point. Even if the quality of whey itself is not comprimised if they add synthetic sweeteners to whey, it will cause problem to health in the long run. On the other hand, natural sweeteners won't cause any problems to health. So the question is, do we want a protein that tastes good but harmful to health or do we want a protein that taste good but also is not harmfuf for health? When their is better option, why choose the worse one. :thinking:

Back