Woman with terminal cancer is first assisted suicide under 'Death With Dignity' law i

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Woman with terminal cancer is first assisted suicide under 'Death With Dignity' law i

Woman with terminal cancer is first assisted suicide under 'Death With Dignity' law in Wa. state
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Friday, May 22nd 2009, 1:20 PM

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A 66-year-old woman with terminal cancer has become the first person to die under Washington state's new assisted suicide law, an advocacy group said Friday.
    Linda Fleming, of Sequim, died Thursday night after taking drugs prescribed under the "Death with Dignity" law that took effect in March, said Compassion & Choices of Washington.
    The organization says Fleming was diagnosed last month with advanced pancreatic cancer. She would have had to have been diagnosed by two doctors as terminal in order to qualify for assisted suicide.
    Officials with the advocacy group said Fleming died at home with her family, her dog and her physician at her bedside.
    "The pain became unbearable, and it was only going to get worse," Fleming said in a statement released by the organization.
    A physician prescribed the drugs, but patients in assisted suicides must administer the drugs themselves.
    The new law was approved in November with nearly 60 percent of the vote. It is based on a 1997 Oregon measure, under which about 400 people have ended their lives.
    Under both states' laws, physicians and pharmacists are not required to write or fill lethal prescriptions if they are opposed to the law. Some hospitals have opted out of the law, which precludes their doctors from participating on hospital property.
    In Washington, any patient requesting fatal medication must be at least 18, declared competent and be a state resident.
    Two doctors would have to certify that the patient has a terminal condition and six months or less to live. The patient must also make two oral requests, 15 days apart, and make a written request witnessed by two people.

Read more: "Woman with terminal cancer is first assisted suicide under 'Death With Dignity' law in Wa. state" - Woman with terminal cancer is first assisted suicide under 'Death With Dignity' law in Wa. state

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I never knew about this.........

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Its a very good idea.

I watched my Grandmother fight Alzheimers for 10 years (I dont know how the hell she lived that long) and it is something I would rather forget.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That's pretty heavy, but I think that is the humane thing to do. If I was terminal and in a lot of pain that would most likely be the choice I'd make.

Now, to be even more humane, if only pot were to be made legal some of that pain may have been palliated.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IronAddict View Post

Now, to be even more humane, if only pot were to be made legal some of that pain may have been palliated.
    Or I could get stoned to the bejeezus belt.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.