First off, hello all! I am new to the forum and was seeking some advice. Let me start off with some background information about myself. I am a 28 year old male. I am 6'3" or 6'4" and about 230lbs. I had my body fat taken around two years ago and it was high, like 20%. I tend to have a somewhat thin build, but have most of my extra weight in my stomach. I have been inactive for the past 10 years and have not eaten the best during that time period, so I am lacking muscle and endurance due to the inactivity for the past 10 years. Prior to that, I was active all the way up until 18 years old. I did weights on and off with partner (didn't do it for long and nothing real structured) and I did martial arts 3 times a week from 10 to 18 years old which gave me pretty decent cardio. But like I said, I have been totally 100% inactive for the last 10 years.
About 6 weeks ago, I joined a martial arts school and I go twice a week for 2 hours per session. I also signed up for a gym and plan on starting a weight lifting/cardio program to lose the fat I have and start putting mass on. Here are my questions:
1. Based on what I described about myself, should I be concentrating only on losing fat and building endurance up rather then mass? I believe I read on here, losing fat and gaining mass sort of counter act eachother to a degree? I planned out a diet based around weight watchers to control the amount of foods I eat. I am drinking a lot more water and avoiding junk food and fast foods.
2. I am going to working out alone and from what I researched here, free weights are the way to go for mass building. I would assume I would be mainly working out with dumbells so I don't need a partner. Would startin with free weights based on how out of shape I am (10 years not active) or should I use the machines for awhile then progress to free weights?
3. I planned out what my work out week would look like, could you please advise:
SUNDAY: Legs during the evening at the gym or rest and/or walk/Cardio
MONDAY: Legs during the evening at the gym or rest and/or walk/Cardio
(couldn't decide which day to work legs between Sun or Mon)
TUESDAY: Chest, Triceps, and Forearms during evening at the gym
WEDNESDAY: Martial Arts during evening
THURSDAY: Rest and/or Walk/Cardio
FRIDAY: Back, Biceps, and Shoulders during evening at gym
SATURDAY: Martial Arts in the morning
Any areas I should change? Also how/where could I fit Abs in? Also could you recommend some good exercises for each muscle group based off of dumbells and/or machines (remember I would be working out alone and would prefer the advice be based off of that factor)
4. Should I be doing 3 excerises per muscle group? How many sets/reps are recommended?
5. Also how much cardio should I be doing? Remember I want to lose the fat and put on mass?
Any advice or help will be very appreciated and I will be very thankful.
All logos, trademarks and content on this site are property of 2001-2013 by IronMagazine All Rights Reserved Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of IronMagazine.com is prohibited.