If you currently have, or in the past have had, a herniated disc here is the forum to discuss how it impacted your ability to train. Chime in on any or all of the following:
1. What level herniation, when did it happen?
2. What medical treatment did you recieve, and how effective was it?
3. What excersises (lifts, stretches, iso's, whatever) helped, and which made it worse?
4. How are you doing now?
1. I had a "mild" herniation between the l4 l5 region. I had severe sciatica on the left side, and almost constant and complete numbness in my left foot. It occured in May-June 2008.
2. I was unisured so after the MRI I went to physical therapy, got deep tissue work, and went to chiro. The high dollar items were a no go. The physical therapy was useless, I could have done just as well to read shit on the internet, the massage was good but it's hard to quantify it's effect.
3. Anything that loaded the spinal column made it worse, as did anything with lumbar flexion. OH presses, Squats, deadlifts, crunches, all these sucked. But then once the symptoms subsided squats seemed to help.
Streches: I couldn't tell any noticable difference with these, it's hard to know what to attribute the subsiding of pain to, time, rest. Some Iso did help like glute ham planks (bridge I believe). Anything where I twisted and extended my left leg sent shooting pain.
4. Better. Although this week is worse. I started doing weighted incline crunches, I think that may have been a mistake. So maybe throw weighted incline crunches into the shitpille excersises.