• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

2 questions

NickB

Damn, so many new faces.
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
1. How many different exercises should i do per part? 2-3, each with 3 sets of 8-10 reps or so? Or is that too much?

2. Running. While trying to put on mass is it goign to be counter-productive? My mile run is horrid, and I need to improve it. Should I wait until i get my muscle gains, then work on my run time?

Im trying to get ready for the military, so my goals are to get stronger and build a bit of mass. im scrawny. (my pics are avail in my diary). The plan im putting together is basic excersises to get my body warmed up to working out again, but i need these questions answered before i post my plan.

As always,

Which branch of the military? It does make a difference in the type of workout routine you should be doing right now. I'm Air Force and I can tell you, if you're not up to at least a dozen donuts per sitting already you're in trouble. Seriously, for all of the services you don't want to over do it on the mass because a lot of the exercises you'll be doing revolve around body weight. The more body weight you have the more of a DIS-advantage you'll have. Again, for Air Force I can tell you it isn't going to matter that much either way but if you're going into the Marines or Army you don't want to be packing any more beef than necessary.

#1 The number of exercises, sets and reps depends on the body part. You'd want to do a wider variety of exercises for a large body part like legs or back. On the other hand, you can get away with just a couple of different exercises on a smaller body part like biceps or triceps. Sets and reps sort of fall under the same rule but the biggest governing factor is you. Experiment and see what scheme works best for you. I like lower reps for legs just so I can get the pain over with faster but some people find a higher reps scheme works better for them. Sorry, no clear cut answer here, just trial and error.

#2 Yes, running will definitely hinder mass gains in two ways; Obviously you'd be burning valuable calories that could be used to build more muscle mass. Also, your running cuts into your recouperative abilities. Remember, gains aren't made IN the gym; they're made outside the gym when you're recovering from that workout.

Originally posted by NickB
1. How many different exercises should i do per part? 2-3, each with 3 sets of 8-10 reps or so? Or is that too much?

4-6 total sets for small muscles like arms and shoulders, 9-11 for larger groups like back, legs, chest.

2. Running. While trying to put on mass is it goign to be counter-productive? My mile run is horrid, and I need to improve it. Should I wait until i get my muscle gains, then work on my run time?

yes it will be counter productive, however, in your case i would increase my cal intake to help with the muscle gains. Your progress will not be as good but it'll work.

Im trying to get ready for the military, so my goals are to get stronger and build a bit of mass. im scrawny. (my pics are avail in my diary). The plan im putting together is basic excersises to get my body warmed up to working out again, but i need these questions answered before i post my plan.

As always,

I dont want to build a lot of mass, ive never been a fan of that, but , damn, i need *some*, lol. have you seen my pics? :p

I'll be doing the Navy MAA, which is basicaly a cop, until i make officer and then i will probobly go into a fightning unit (seal, if i can make it. if not, i drop out of the military and go swat)

Thanks for the info. I will try a month of just lifting, with no cardio and see how im doing. I'll post my routine later tonight.

Last edited:
I don't want to go against anything Albob has said b/c all BS aside he really does know what he's talking about.

I just hate to see you completely stop the running. You're going to have to be able to pass the PT tests and if you can't run the 2 miles in the alloted time you're going to be hurtin'

Butterfly has a good point about passing the PT test. My logic is based on your age, I'm figuring it'll be easier for you to drop the running for a month and concentrate on strength and then pick the running back up a month or two before your ship out date. Again, at your age, you should be able to build your cardio strength back up very quickly. The Navy and Air Force PT tests aren't that much different and I passed at a height of 72" and a body weight of 150 lbs, so I know exactly what you're talking about when you say "skinny". Don't worry, as I said before, the lighter body weight gives you and advantage when it comes to exercises that use body weight.

I'd concentrate on overall fitness. Then after boot camp start the body building type training.

I'd have to agree with Fade, your likly to loose alot of muscle with all the stuff they make you do so I think you'd be better off to keep doing the cardio along with the lifting.

Back