• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Strong Man

animal56

Totally Blasted to Shreds
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Okay, I've been a little indecisive in my goals when it comes to weightlifting.

Tuesday night, I was watching TSN, and suddenly a thought struck me while I watched Hugo Girard obliterating the competition in the Canadian Strong Man contest.

I thought, "I've always been interested in the Heavy Events at the Highland Games, and I always get a huge kick out of watching the Strong Man comps. Why couldn't I aim for that?"

So, now that I thought about it, did some mild research, and I also noticed that I seem to be the strongest person at my gym, I've decided that my goal, is to be a competitor for Strong Man competitions.

Is anyone, or does anyone here have relations with, or access to strong man competitiors? I would love to get a sample of what their routines may be. I have a long way to go, but I am quite serious about this. Any help would be appreciated.

:thumb:

Alot of the routines are centered around the actual events, I've found peoples webpages with tire flipping etc and some home-made gadgets to match what they were going to compete with. Seems like those who have been very strong and didn't place that well said thats exactly what they needed to do to compete successfully was to do the actual events, not just lift weights.

Originally posted by Prince
never even seen one, but good luck!

Thanks! :thumb:

Originally posted by Mudge
Alot of the routines are centered around the actual events, I've found peoples webpages with tire flipping etc and some home-made gadgets to match what they were going to compete with. Seems like those who have been very strong and didn't place that well said thats exactly what they needed to do to compete successfully was to do the actual events, not just lift weights.

I imagine that would be like their "cutting" equivalent routine. I suppose that you would have to build the appropriate strength to get there in the first place, then concentrate on specifics.

:lifter:

I suppose so, there are all kinds of strong man competitions, not every one is a world class only event. The guys pages that I've seen, were definately not world class like you see on the TV strongman competitions, no 800 pound deadlifts there.

I used to be able to lift the front wheels of a VW bug off the ground many moons ago!!! I guess you can start there.

Those competitions are fun to watch. I've seen a couple.:rocker:

I've always wanted to try that LoL, what was your deadlift like?

Originally posted by Mudge
I've always wanted to try that LoL, what was your deadlift like?

Funny enough, my deadlifts weren't that good. I think the max I ever did was near 400. Sumu style.

its best to train for the events the same way you do the events. different types of training like static holds, pyramiding also a powerlifting background is great. for instance at my parents farm i have my little training ground which has 3 different wts of tires for flipping. a reinforced flight of steps for carring things up and down. several barrells filled with sand for lifting on to a different set height platforms, and 300 lb rock for carrying. also have a 3/4 ton old chevy pick i use for pulling. my uncle made me a harness for pulling the truck several years ago to train for football. did i ramble on too much, sorry.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Tank316
its best to train for the events the same way you do the events. different types of training like static holds, pyramiding also a powerlifting background is great. for instance at my parents farm i have my little training ground which has 3 different wts of tires for flipping. a reinforced flight of steps for carring things up and down. several barrells filled with sand for lifting on to a different set height platforms, and 300 lb rock for carrying. also have a 3/4 ton old chevy pick i use for pulling. my uncle made me a harness for pulling the truck several years ago to train for football. did i ramble on too much, sorry.

Actually no! Makes me wish I had a farm. :thumb:

A friend at work lent me a handful of powerlifting and Herculean Strength books for me to peruse. Hopefully it'll help me, even though the books are obviously from the 70s. :rolleyes:

nothing wrong with 70's.:laugh: j/k. in the back of some of the muscle mags, you'll see an ad for Iron Minds. its a small paper back book. you can order alot of stuff out there as well for strongman training. with my work hours this last year and a half, i have'nt had much playing time in the ''yard'' as my father would put.:rolleyes:

So, do you compete, or was it just football training?

i competed in 3 strongman contest held here in Wis, trained my rear off for the fourth one, but the fella who promotes the darn things ran off with all the prize money.:shrug: :scratch: i was the only ''weirdo'' in my high school who lifted weights. and that was back in 1980-82. while the others had they're parties to go to, i was lifting. my school sucked at football, nobody had the balls to even try to play hard and practice hard.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Tank316
i competed in 3 strongman contest held here in Wis, trained my rear off for the fourth one, but the fella who promotes the darn things ran off with all the prize money.:shrug: :scratch: i was the only ''weirdo'' in my high school who lifted weights. and that was back in 1980-82. while the others had they're parties to go to, i was lifting. my school sucked at football, nobody had the balls to even try to play hard and practice hard.:rolleyes:

Cool! How did you do? (In your own opinion, and statistically.)

in the strongman or in football

Strongman.

placed 3 rd every year out of 15. i was the shortest out of the bunch. the average ht was 5'9" to 6' 3". i am only 5'7". i have changed my goals towards bbing again.getting alittle older[39], so i feel more at home training for shows.omg, i'm finely getting wiser.lol

Mudge said:
Yes, I've heard many of the competitors say that they have their backyards setup to mimick the events.

One of my favorites was the late Johnny Perry, who won the Strongman competition for the USA in I believe either 2001 or early 2002. He died at the age of 30 or 30 something. I'm not sure of the cause, but could make an educated guess :shrug: But, that wouldn't be fair so I won't.

You can click the thumbnails to the right of this site to see some of his pictures...http://x-tremestrongman.com/perry.html

Phil Pfister is another one in the top ranks that I like to watch.

Here is one of the Gillingham practicing http://x-tremestrongman.com/video/kGillingham330x2Log.mpg

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
ronnie c no1fan said:
i want to be the strongest man in the world
Better start eating your peas and carrots :laugh: :hehe: :evil:

I met some strength trainers at a seminar this weekend who are really into strongman events. VERY cool! I'm definitely gonna check out a local comp. Good luck with it, animal56.

Back