• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Calculate protein by LBM?

BigMuffin

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So ive seen and read so many different opinions on how much protein one should take in. 1g to 2g per pound of bodyweight seems to be where most people fall into. Lately I have been speaking to different individuals about taking proteing based on Lean Body Mass instead of total weight. The opinions vary here also but I do believe this is the more accurate way of protein consumption then by weight alone. Lean body mass is what you have left over when the weight of body fat is subtracted from overall body mass. Here's how you can find out your protein needs based on your lean body mass and your activity level, to make sure you're getting all the protein you need in your diet.

Step 1. Take body measurements. You will need your height in inches and your weight in pounds. You will also need your neck (smallest point), waist (smallest circumference for women, at navel for men) and hip (widest point) measurements.

Step 2. Use a*body mass index calculator. This gives you the percentage of your body weight that is fat.

Step 3. Convert this percentage to a decimal number. For example, 25% converts to 0.25. Multiply that number by your total body weight. Now you have total pounds of fat.

Step 4. Subtract pounds of fat from total body weight, and what you are left with is your lean body mass, in pounds.

Step 5. Determine your daily activity level. If you are sedentary, your requirements are 0.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. If your daily activity is light but includes walking, you require 0.6 grams per pound. Moderate activity is 30 minutes per day of exercise, five times per week, and requires 0.7 grams per pound. If you're active, exercising one hour per day, five times per week, you need 0.8 grams per pound. Very active, two hours a day 5 times per week, requires 0.9 grams per pound. A heavy exercise level (heavy weight training or twice a day exercise) requires 1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass.

Step 6. Multiply grams per pound from Step 5 by pounds of lean body mass, and you'll have your daily protein needs in grams.

Although there is some controversy as to how protein needs in the diet should be calculated, it stands to reason that basing it on lean body mass produces a more accurate figure than a simple body weight calculation or percentage of total calorie intake. An obese person doesn't need more protein simply because he weighs more, and just because someone is counting calories doesn't mean that she suddenly needs less protein. Athletes need more protein than sedentary people do, and this method also takes that into account. Thx for the read.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

So ive seen and read so many different opinions on how much protein one should take in. 1g to 2g per pound of bodyweight seems to be where most people fall into. Lately I have been speaking to different individuals about taking proteing based on Lean Body Mass instead of total weight. The opinions vary here also but I do believe this is the more accurate way of protein consumption then by weight alone. Lean body mass is what you have left over when the weight of body fat is subtracted from overall body mass. Here's how you can find out your protein needs based on your lean body mass and your activity level, to make sure you're getting all the protein you need in your diet.

Step 1. Take body measurements. You will need your height in inches and your weight in pounds. You will also need your neck (smallest point), waist (smallest circumference for women, at navel for men) and hip (widest point) measurements.

Step 2. Use a*body mass index calculator. This gives you the percentage of your body weight that is fat.

Step 3. Convert this percentage to a decimal number. For example, 25% converts to 0.25. Multiply that number by your total body weight. Now you have total pounds of fat.

Step 4. Subtract pounds of fat from total body weight, and what you are left with is your lean body mass, in pounds.

Step 5. Determine your daily activity level. If you are sedentary, your requirements are 0.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. If your daily activity is light but includes walking, you require 0.6 grams per pound. Moderate activity is 30 minutes per day of exercise, five times per week, and requires 0.7 grams per pound. If you're active, exercising one hour per day, five times per week, you need 0.8 grams per pound. Very active, two hours a day 5 times per week, requires 0.9 grams per pound. A heavy exercise level (heavy weight training or twice a day exercise) requires 1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass.

Step 6. Multiply grams per pound from Step 5 by pounds of lean body mass, and you'll have your daily protein needs in grams.

Although there is some controversy as to how protein needs in the diet should be calculated, it stands to reason that basing it on lean body mass produces a more accurate figure than a simple body weight calculation or percentage of total calorie intake. An obese person doesn't need more protein simply because he weighs more, and just because someone is counting calories doesn't mean that she suddenly needs less protein. Athletes need more protein than sedentary people do, and this method also takes that into account. Thx for the read.

I like this post and I agree. I prefer protein based on LBM.

So ive seen and read so many different opinions on how much protein one should take in. 1g to 2g per pound of bodyweight seems to be where most people fall into.

And what do think is a good measure of grams of protein per LBM for someone lifting heavy 5-6 times per week who is using AAS?

And what do think is a good measure of grams of protein per LBM for someone lifting heavy 5-6 times per week who is using AAS?

I should have added that in but in my opinion 1.5g to 2.5g with most people around 2g. Of course everyone is different and you should adjust as you progress. I would personally go for 1.5g to 2g. Hope that helps you out a bit and remember it also depends on activity level and the quality of food your eating.

It seems all the "text book" Recomendations are slightly below 1g per lb of body weight ( they use LBM I'm just going with an a average) and most gym rats say 1-2 g per lb if body weight . I'd say start off at 1-1.5g per lb of body weight and go from there . Don't over analyze the small stuff

It seems all the "text book" Recomendations are slightly below 1g per lb of body weight ( they use LBM I'm just going with an a average) and most gym rats say 1-2 g per lb if body weight . I'd say start off at 1-1.5g per lb of body weight and go from there . Don't over analyze the small stuff

Here is what medical review says about too much protein:
Too much protein can harm your body - on MedicineNet.com

Too much protein isnt always a good thing. I always go off of LBM to dictate what I use. Only MUSCLE has use for protein and at crazy high levels it does nothing but add to your grocery bill and can actually stress other digestive organs. For instance, I only use around 1-1.5 grams per lbs of lean body mass. If you are at 20% BF and 200lbs you are essentally wasting food. This is open to a matter of opinion truly. We know that while on cycle your protein synthesis and nitrogen uptake skyrocket and your body can effectively utilize more protein but just how much is unknown because of the ban on testing such things.

Last edited:
you mean grams rather than lbs right?

:)

IML Gear Cream!
Here is what medical review says about too much protein:
Too much protein can harm your body - on MedicineNet.com

Too much protein isnt always a good thing. I always go off of LBM to dictate what I use. Only MUSCLE has use for protein and at crazy high levels it does nothing but add to your grocery bill and can actually stress other digestive organs. For instance, I only use around 1-1.5 grams per lbs of lean body mass. If you are at 20% BF and 200lbs you are essentally wasting food. This is open to a matter of opinion truly. We know that while on cycle your protein synthesis and nitrogen uptake skyrocket and your body can effectively utilize more protein but just how much is unknown because of the ban on testing such things.
^^^^This. Good advice Robbie. IMO most people go way overboard with the protein. I use a CKD diet when cutting and too much protein can actually impair the fat burning properties of this diet, since the goal on keto days is high fat and moderate protein with extremely low carbs. If you are consuming 300 grams of protein, and the goal is only 2400 calories with 65% from fats, you do the math. Does not compute :)

Back