• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

What is the best rep time to use?

kbm8795

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
OK...here's where I show how much I don't know - I've been told to do very slow, controlled reps to help gain mastery of the weight and build a foundation of form and strength. I've used longer reps to nurse along exercises associated with this rotater, but I've had times when I've been doing 8-10 second reps with other bodyparts.

Of course, when I took my first strength training class, the recommendation were to do a standard two seconds up, pause..and two back...then I've had others tell me that you should make the concentric(?) movement longer. Still, I see guys in the gym pound out sets like they are in a speed contest - is there any kind of standard guide to follow for this? Or does it vary according to what you are trying to accomplish? Or...hell...is it better to just do four second reps and add sets beyond three or four?

You don't need to count. You should do a controled ecentric movement with an explosive concentric (using good form, contracting, not using momentum). If you go too slow then you will limit the amount of resistance that you can use. You will also end up fatiguing the muscle rather than overloading it.

Thanks, Naturalguy - this makes some sense here. So...like when guys are just pounding out really fast reps, they are using more momentum...or other muscles aiding in the movement. I didn't realize that about slower reps fatiguing the muscle too quickly - I had been told to do slow reps (never over like ten seconds) and I could feel the muscle stretching. I had started doing this until this had become almost a habit with several bodyparts - I liked feeling the movement more concentrated (like I had good control) but have had people say that they push into "sloppy" sets in order to condition the muscle to handle more work.
Being..well, near 50, I want to avoid injury as much as possible, and yet manage to get to overload and build more shape and size.

I dont count, I do what feels natural, sometimes I change rep speed though.

Back