• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Personal Trainers: I'm interested

Rocco32

UNLEASH THE BEAST
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey, I know quite a few people on here are personal trainers. I'm interested in being a PT while I'm in Nursing school and even after. Does anyone have any advice for me on the best way to gain my PT certificate so I can train, or have any good books to study for the exam? Thanks

I think you may want to check gyms to see what they look for, some gyms apparently (mostly chains probably) may be anal about which certs they look for.

The one I'm interested in will accept anything apparently. Just told me to contact him when I'm certified and he's got a job for me

Sweet. Pfunk and some others have talked about which emphasizes what, probably in the training forum if you feel like searching it (I dont know how often he visits open chat).

Prince and MTB both have ISSA certs...

Thanks Mudge, appreciate it! :) Like your new AVI

Originally posted by rock4832
The one I'm interested in will accept anything apparently. Just told me to contact him when I'm certified and he's got a job for me

it's not difficult to get hired, the hard part is selling yourself and making money. :)

As good as I look, that shouldn't be to hard! :) LOL

Yeah, getting hired is the easy part. Getting clients and selling packages is the tough part. Some good Certs that are pretty recognized are ACE, NASM (I have this one), and CSCS (You need a degree to have get this one and you may be able to do it with a nursing dergree since you have to study anatomy, physiology, etc.).

Tip on selling yourself. Be confident in your skills. People don;t want to train with someone that is not confident in what they know.

I've checked out ACE, but it's like $300 to buy the study books. Do you have any suggestions of cheaper books to study for the exam?

IML Gear Cream!
See, I can't afford that.

I just need the material and I'll be set

No unfortunaylt I don't know a cheaper way. I think NASM is a bit cheaper. the thing with NASM is you have to buy the book to qualify for the test. Maybe for ACE you can borrow a book from someone (try a trainer at the gym you go to) then jsut study and pay a fee to take the test. Other than that you may want to try and see about NASM weekend study/test option. You just attened one of their weekend study seminars and then take the test so it may actually be a bit cheaper than buying the home study material. Also, even though it is only a weekend, it is nice to have so hands on experience and a live explanation of things. It si really easy to get a certification, anyone can do it as evident buy the number of horrible trainers out there.

Thanks P-Funk, I'll check with the trainers and see if they have any study books. I'll also look into NASM. That is what you have right?

What is their website P-funk? Do you know?

Yeah, it should be NASM.org

Awesome, thanks P-funk. I used to be a trainer 8 years ago, but I didn't need to be certified then.

Some places will let you slide with out a cert. Talk to the personal training manager and see if there is something you can do about it, especially if you are at a non-chain gym because they may be a little easier on you.

No, it's Golds! And they use a company to do the training.

IML Gear Cream!
Yeah, doesn't Gold's have their own certification? Atleast I think the one in Boston did when I was living up there going to college? Can't you get it through them?

Not this one I don't think. Because they contract out to fitness imaging.

Most PT certs will run you about $300 in North America, unfortunately. The one I have is called CanFitPro, which is the most recognized in Canada and was $300 for a weekend course which didn't teach me anything I didn't already know.

If I were you I'd go for ACE or NASM (which is at NASM-cc.org last time I checked) - the books are the tricky part. Check amazon.com or ebay for used manuals because sometimes they are there. I picked up an ACSM guideline manual just for general interest for $20.

If you're interested in really GOOD courses look into Paul Chek and Peter Twist, they both have excellent sports conditioning and biomechanic courses but they are VERY pricey - however worth the money IMO.

Thanks PB, I'll check some of that out. Just not much money right now you know!

ISSA is like $500

what's ISSA? Is it an exam or books or online course?

thanks mudge, I'm looking into it right now! :)

i want to be a personal trainer when i reach my goals.. love talking about this stuff, and i already have my mom and bro as my current "clients" hahaha

Back