• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Compound exercises...

cmf85ro

Senior elven bodybuilder
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi all!

So, I'm trying to put together a nice workout routine, keeping it basic really and using as many compound exercises as possible. Since I didn't find a specific thread on this topic I thought of asking: What are the main compound exercises for each bodypart?

any type of pressing. squats deads/cleans/snatch chins bentover rows and always standing..that's all I can think of atm

K... And for the upper body? I'd also like to mention that i have a form of scoliosis so i'm not to fond of putting too much presure on my spine (i like to stay away from squats!)

bench press
pull ups
pull downs
rows (bent over rwos, dumbell rows, cable rows, etc)
overhead press (with barbell or dumbell)
upright row
squats
romianian deadlifts
leg press
hack squats
step ups
lunges

Thanks y'all! Now I'm going to check out how to do these exercises ;)

You have back problems too huh? Then let me give you a tip - The best compound exercise I've found, for me (damaged back too) is just doing Dips. Like a Squat for your upper body. Also, there's practically no pressure on your back. When you can do ten dips with perfect form, you can either slow down your speed, or hang some weight from your legs. They're great. In one exercise you work pecs, triceps, shoulders, and a little back.

BTW, squats are probably the worst thing you could do with scoliosis, I assume your doctor has mentioned this to you.

Since one of my friends is a physical therapist (he works on rehabilitation for people who had immobilizing accidents), I had him come to my gym and give me suggestions on what exercises are good and bad for my particular back problem. I suggest you at least consult someone before doing every exercise.

Originally posted by Mex
You have back problems too huh? Then let me give you a tip - The best compound exercise I've found, for me (damaged back too) is just doing Dips. Like a Squat for your upper body. Also, there's practically no pressure on your back. When you can do ten dips with perfect form, you can either slow down your speed, or hang some weight from your legs. They're great. In one exercise you work pecs, triceps, shoulders, and a little back.

Tx for the tip and for your posts. It's nice to talk to somebody you can relate to in some way. Dips sound really good but I've never been able to do any of them (chin ups for example I can at least do 2-3 on my own). Any ideas on how I can solve this problem? (Perhaps do some other exercises to strengthen some of the muscle groups first?...)

Well, at my current gym we're lucky to have a machine that helps you with dips and chinups.

When I was beginning dips tho, and didn't have the machine, I just asked one of the guys to hold my legs. That is, you get on the machine, get a good grip, then when you lift yourself and cross your legs and bend them, your buddy picks them up and helps you with that weight.

First you'll probably do 4-6, but keep at it. After a few weeks or months of this, you'll be able to do them on your own. Once you reach 10 or 12 with help, you should try to do 4-6 without help, and hopefully never go back.

Since dips work tris, pecs and shoulders, any exercises that improve your strength in those areas will help.

Also, I always do my compound exercise first, since that's when you're strongest, and then one isolation exercise for the rest.

yes forgot to mention dips. to improve them you can work on the negative phase only..ie jump up and slowly lower yourself, so you eliminate the concentric phase

Back