• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

How do you figure caloric needs??

Cate

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I saw the 50/50 thread where someone (can't remember who) figured out the calorie needs based on height/weight. If you remember, I changed my diet (was doing weight watchers) to eating around 2000 calories, I stuck w/it for 2 weeks and I've gained 2 lbs!

I want to lose some fat (not weight) and lean out a bit. I hold a lot of fat in my lower body.

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 127.6
bf: 18.2%

Also, I want to eat real food and I've a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

It's not just height and weight, it's activity level as well. Not to mention, more and more studies are finding that macronutrient balance, and source (protein/carbs/fats) affects fat storage; that is, one group might eat 2000 calories that was higher in proteins and whole foods, while a second group might eat 2000 calories, inclined more to carbs and fats and processed foods, and the Group Twos would likely gain.

Then there's nutrient and meal timing...

and in the final evaluation, everyone's body and metabolism varies, and all calculations are based on averages. So you do the math, try it out, and if it doesn't work you tweak the balances or the totals until something does.

What do you consider "real food"? What is your current meal schedule, and what do you typically eat? What are your current workouts? With that, people here can be more precise -- but in the end, you'll need to take that advice from others' experiences, and see what parts of it work for you. And yeah, sometimes that does mean gaining two pounds when it doesn't. Nobody has The Answer. Yet. Plenty of people looking -- it would be a flippin' money tree.

weight watchers diets suck. plain and simple. :gosh:
Id be interested in seeing what your diet was like. you shouldnt have been gaining on 2000calories a day. thats a healthy balance for a woman. were you doing any exercising at the time?
as Akantros asked... . what is your current eating like, timing, poritions, everything.

You need to consider the fact that when you weight youserlf some things can move the value up or down: water retention, food that is in, clothes, scale ..

Originally posted by atherjen
weight watchers diets suck. plain and simple.
I wouldn't say that, across the board. Followed
as originally intended, it is a reasonably good way for a relatively sedentary person who wants/needs to have a more or less normal life of eating with family and friends to lose weight.

The big trouble with Weight Watchers is that hardly anyone follows the parts about "eat a variety of healthy foods" and "have treats occasionally." No, no, they're "flexing" every damn day, having Snackwell's for lunch and going out for supper, then bitching about how they don't lose the weight. It's not the plan, it's the people.

Same could be said of someone who reads the "stickies," posts their diet and wonders why they aren't cutting even though they're hitting their target macros... "I have MRP bars for three of my meals, because I can't live without chocolatey treats, and I never eat vegetables because I hate them..."

OK....I hear you all!

I do 4 -5 days a week of cardio-at least 30 mins. I do the rolling stairs, stairmaster, eliptical and running (more running soon as I have to start training). I lift with a trainer w/core full-body 30 min sessions 2x a week.

My diet (average):
oatmeal/coffee

fruit/egg whites

salad w/tuna or beans

celery w/natural pb (1/2 T)

apple/string cheese

veggies/ww pasta/fish or other soy protein source

And by real food, I mean I don't want to add any shakes or bars or supplements. And I gain weight really easy that is why weight watchers worked for me because it was low calorie, but now I'm binging all the time, so my body has had enough. And I do weigh myself at the same time w/the same clothing.

OK...Im ready!:p

You don't have nearly enough protein, you have no EFA's, and very little healthy carbs.

I could take a really good guess as to why your binging.

I know Jodi, that is why Im here. I agree that I'm not eating enough but I gainned about 4lbs from the 2 weeks I was on the 2000 caloried diet. I gain really easy.

I dont know if you remember me, but you helped me w/ a diet last summer, but it was too much food and I felt sick all the time, so I quite. I would like to improve in my diet.

What can I do???

Also, I am getting married in 10 weeks so I cannot gain weight.

Are you on any medications?

IML Gear Cream!
Just curious:grin: Sometimes the food you put into your body can interact with your diet....either gain or lose weight is all....

Multiply body weight by 10; add the body weight to this value.
[i.e., for a 180 lb female, 1,800 + 180=1,980 cal/day BMR]

This is what my body's energy requirements are. If I were to exercise, I'd add more calories.....smart choice calories that is.

Men would calculate theres like this:

Multiply the body weight by 10; add double the body weight to this value.
[i.e., for a 150 lb male, 1,500 + (2 x 150)=1,800 cal/day BMR]

Sorry Cate, I don't remember. If you continue to stay low cal then any increase in food is going to make you gain weight until your metabolism picks back up. While you are that low in a caloric deficit it is inevitable to put on a bit of weight as you increase calories but it is unhealthy for you to stay that low cal.

10 cals per/lb is way to low for anyone to start dieting at.

OK...so I'm at 1400 cals, that is MUCH better than 2000!!! Any idea how I should breakdown p/c/f???

Thanks Babs!!!

Jodi - thanks, its fine you dont remember ( you probably reply to 1000 people a day here). But 1400 cals is probably more than I have been eating. I really don't want to gain, but I would like to drop more fat.

What would you suggest?

Okay, let me clear things up a bit...

That calculation is based on resting......if you're not exercising....that is what your body needs for energy....

If you're exercising, of course that calculation wouldn't be advisable. You'd need to play with what you'd "assume" to be your calories burned via exercise.

There are factors of 10, 11 and 12. If you have a slow metabolism, then you'd want to start off with 10, which limits your caloric intake. Moderate uses 11....etc....I'm sure you get the gist.

Originally posted by Cate
Jodi - thanks, its fine you dont remember ( you probably reply to 1000 people a day here). But 1400 cals is probably more than I have been eating. I really don't want to gain, but I would like to drop more fat.

What would you suggest?
How much do you weigh?

Originally posted by Cate
OK...so I'm at 1400 cals, that is MUCH better than 2000!!! Any idea how I should breakdown p/c/f???

Thanks Babs!!!

Remember though, since you're exercising, you'll need to eat more....Calories in vs Calories out. Only you know your body. I'd recommend keeping a journal and updating it daily. Keep track of your calories.........IMO, I feel all dieting is a numbers game and EVERYONE is dif.

Since you're doing a lot of cardio, I'd up your calories to about 1600 to 1800. This will enable you to lose weight while keeping your body OUT of starvation mode.

125-127 depending on the day of the week :p

IML Gear Cream!
1600 cals per day (as Babs said) would be a great place for you to start. 1400 is too low.

OK...thanks! How would you break down f/c/p or should I not worry about it? Because I'm veggie, I know I dont get enough protein or fat, so targets would be nice.

What do you eat: fish, eggs, cottage cheese, whey, tofu, soy?

Then why do you not get enough protein?

In order to figure P/C/F you need to figure what's better for you. More carbs less fat or more fat less carb. Either way Protein should be at 1G per lb of BW and no less than that.

You said that you gained 2 lbs. in 2 weeks at 2000 a day- did you have any binges during those two weeks? If so, that probably caused your weight gain.

Jodi - I said I eat those things, but not as much as I should:p That is a good rule of thumb...thanks again!

nc-I didn't binge durning those weeks....

Back