• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Bench Machine

blackcr125

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
At my gym theres a bench machine that allows you to bench without a spotter. It has hooks so you twist the bar out and it unhooks so it moves freely, and then twist the hooks back when you're done. It allows perfect form and I think the bar is on rollers or a pully system. 2 months ago I could only bench 135 lbs (16 years old and i'm 120 pounds), but on this machine I could rep 125 lbs 10 times, and this was after I got done with my chest and back routine. Is this machine helping me? Or did I actually add alot to my max?

A. It's called a Smith Machine.
B. The bar is only equal to like 10 pounds.
C. It is alot easier to bench on a Smith Machine, and you should try getting the form down flat bench. You will see alot better gains then you would on a Smith.
D. I'm sure you made some gains, not as much as you'd think once you hit that flat bench tho.

the Smith is a great machine, but it's no substitute for free weight barbells and dumbbells, especially for a beginner. You need to build up coordination, balance and your synergistic muscles. So basically my advice is use the Smith sparingly, focus on free weight, compound movements with barbells and dumbbells.

Robert DiMaggio said:
the Smith is a great machine, but it's no substitute for free weight barbells and dumbbells, especially for a beginner. You need to build up coordination, balance and your synergistic muscles. So basically my advice is use the Smith sparingly, focus on free weight, compound movements with barbells and dumbbells.
Damned straight. Free weights rule.

I used to use it for incline work, never liked it for flat. Doesn't allow a nice range of motion for proper bench form.

The only time I have ever used the smith machine was during a shoulder injury, there is no comparison to bench press with free weight. I'm sorry to say it but your max has most likely not increased nearly as much as you may think., that machine is ridiculously easy compared to free weights. IMO you should stop doing it and focus on free weights, you won???t regret it. Unless you have some type of injury that using free weights aggravate, I would stay as far as possible from that thing.

What I don't like about the Smith machine for bench is the fact you can not follow your natural groove. It forces you to follow the machine's groove, and like Rob pointed out, your stabilizer muscles are just along for the ride. This will become real obvious when you switch back to a free weight bench.

Smith machine bar has to weigh more than 10 lbs, I think its more like 20-25 with all that hardware on it...

JoeR. said:
Smith machine bar has to weigh more than 10 lbs, I think its more like 20-25 with all that hardware on it...
depends on the machine, but commercial quality Smith machines are counter balanced and the bar is typically around 15lbs.

When I bench on free weights my left arm cannot go down all the way. I can't get the bar to touch my chest. Am I using improper form? If I try to bring it all the way to my chest I get cramp in my right upper back.

IML Gear Cream!
The bench is actually a pretty technical lift, if you do it properly. I have two articles in the sig.

Back