• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Who would you consider the strongest?

Squaggleboggin

Functional Lifting = Life
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
The man who can bench, squat, or deadlift the most? Assuming the other two men could do the same exercises with an equal amount of weight and the same form, except each man can do one exercise with more weight than the other two (thus making him stronger in that single area). So which would you consider the strongest?

The competitions factor the person's overall strength as a combination of the main three lifts mentioned. Which, for competition, i can see is fair. This enforces that all competitors are strong "all over".

But what i wanna know, is where is the option that translates the strength into functional ability. If you've seen the World Strongest Man competition you'll know what i mean.

Don't they all translate into functional ability? I have seen some of those competitions (which are just plain cool), so which one do you think has the most functional ability (of the three exercises mentioned)?

Hard to say, but probably the deadlift.

Although lifting 400lb barbell is completely different to lifting two 200lb milk churns, y'dig?

Squaggleboggin said:
Don't they all translate into functional ability?

Missed this.

My opinion is that they kinda do, but not exactly.

A man can be strong as hell on all three of the major lifts, but still struggle to shift a log in his back yard. That's what i'm trying to say.

I do know what you mean, but isn't that the whole point of lifting? To bring functional ability? If we can't get functional ability through what are considered to be the three main lifts, then what can we get it through?

each exercise has a certain amount of carryover to functional ability. The more you get away from free weights the less carryover there is. If you want to be able to drag logs around (i'm just goin with this example) you have to train with logs, although squats and dl's will help with this goal you still have to train for your goals.

Basically its the SAID principle, specific adaptation to imposed demands.

Back