• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Best Incline angle

Captain

franchise player
Registered
Reaction score
Some people with everything do nothing, some with
IML Gear Cream!
I have shoulders that have developed proportionatley stronger than my upper chest. Because of that, I believe I get extra "push" on my incline dumbell presses, and end up cheating my upper chest, perpetuating this cycle. I currently set my bench at around 45 degrees. Is this too steep? What angle does everyone prefer?

0 degrees.

or

-30 degrees.

or

no bench, parallel bars either side and weights around my waist.

Boy am i picky.

Well this isn't the best place to ask that question, but I'll anwser. You should use all the angles that you bench has. I prefer a medium incline I think it's 30 degrees. If your shoulders are that much stronger then you should also try some other chest exercises that will hit the chest more than the shoulders to get your pec fibers stimulated. Flyes, cable crossovers, dips, etc.

TJohn

Originally posted by Captain

Thanks for the advice, but why is this not the best place to ask that question? I'm new around here, but I thought this was the training post. :)

Captain,

Welcome to IM !! Some members here have certain views on how muscles are effected by exercises. For instance, some believe that when you work the chest using bench press, the whole pec is being used so it doesn't matter what position the bench is in (becuase the pec it one muscle), so incline is pretty much useless for building the upper portion of the pec cause there is no upper portion. Personally I don't agree (not that the pec is one muscle) but about building the upper portion. Only becuase I've noticed improvement on myself doing them.

Shewww,
TJohn

30 Degrees is best. I have/had the same problem. My chest was relatively small though my bench strength was high. To get around this, I use a 30 degree angle and (and this is critical) I switched to dumbbells. If you use dumbells and make sure your shoulders are way back and chest is up, you'll see a big different in development over the next few months.

Good question by the way!

Set bench at 30 degrees and make sure to keep your shoulders down and back with your shoulder blades pinched and your chest high throughout. This positon will help to keep your delts out of the lift!

Hey GP, isn't that what I said???

BTW, GP can you check out my pics in the members forum and give me some feedback on what bodyparts are lagging if I want to do a show next June. Obviously my legs are behind but other than that should I focus on anything in your opinion?

for incline bench..i go to the first incline setting. i dont go too high with incline, as ya hit too much shlder.

Originally posted by Twin Peak
Hey GP, isn't that what I said???

BTW, GP can you check out my pics in the members forum and give me some feedback on what bodyparts are lagging if I want to do a show next June. Obviously my legs are behind but other than that should I focus on anything in your opinion?

Sorry TP, you are right...I said what you said! I did not see your post! Good work :thumb:

IML Gear Cream!
I think people use inclines that are way to steep when hitting the upper chest. Try doing incline bar presses at 20 to 30 degrees and you will feel extreme pain in your upper pecs. Use the same angle for incline db press and incline flyes.

Gropro has good advice about keeping shoulders back and shoulder blades pinned. This keeps ur body tight and makes the pecs do the work. Take a look at pics of pros doing presses and you will notice most of them do this.

Back