Help with chest routine after chest liposuction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Help with chest routine after chest liposuction

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can critique my chest workout and let me know what you think in general. I'm 33yrs old and after a lifetime of humiliating man boobs I finally got liposuction about a week ago. I'm 6'2" and weigh just under 180lbs, down from 230 since last July. I've always been rather slim, when I gain fat it doesn't distribute evenly around my whole body, it goes directly to my gut and my chest. So since last summer I've been obsessed with losing BF in preperation of the surgery. I eat very well I think, trying to keep my overall calorie intake low to help shed the pounds, and hit the cardio almost daily. I started working chest twice a week around Febuary, chest is the only weight training I do, shaping my chest is the only thing I care about...at this point in time. Here's what I've been doing on my Monday and Thursday chest routine

Incline bench press
    Dips
    Pec fly (machine)
    Lower chest bench (hammer strength machine)

I try to swap the incline BP and Dips on each day, so on Thurs I like to hit the dips first in order to try and focus more on hardening the lower chest. I'm still in recovery from the lipo and the Doc said no to start training again for 3wks after the surgery. So far I'm happy with the results but I don't think ALL the fat is going to be gone from my chest. I plan on keeping with my low calorie diet and tons of cardio and am fully prepared to lose as much weight as needed to get all the fat out of my chest area. If I have to drop to 160lbs or lower then thats what I'll do. Any feedback is greatly appriciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

How many sets and reps of each?

DO SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I do 4 working sets of each exercise and shoot for a 8-12 rep range, except with dips i go to failure. With the incline bench I always do at least 2 or 3 sets of light weight warm ups, so with that one you could say I do a total of 6-7 sets. But like I said the first 2-3 are very light warm ups.

I understand your reasoning for recommending squats and deadlifts but unfortunetly I can't do these exercises due to lower back and sciatic nerve issues. My lower backs been rather fucked since a car accident in my teens and I injured my sciatic nerve so badly last summer that I spent 2 months out of work and laying in bed (which is what kickstarted my weight loss haha). I stay away from heavy exercises that compress the spine, I just can't risk it, which I hate because dead lifts used to be my favorite when I was younger. But after dealing with injury after injury I've learned what I can and can't do. I'm not new to bodybuilding and focus on achieving excellent form when I work out with manageable weights, not looking to enter any contests in my life, just want to look good naked lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Do some body weight squats. Can you do cardio, treadmill, elliptical? If so do that on your off days.

switch up your chest routine every week or so. Add in different exercises different reps and number of sets.

Also no matter how hard you workout if your diet doesn't compliment your goals you won't see the results you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Thank you for your input, I can do cardio I'm all about the elliptical. I will change things ups regularly and give serious thought to adding in squats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

If you don't mind me asking, what did the surgery cost you? Was it all liposuction or did they actually have to cut away some tissue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

you an do some lat exercises like pull downs and cable rows, also pull overs that will work chest as well as lats and lats insertions. Big lats will also help hide any chest fat especially the ones on the side of the chest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what did the surgery cost you? Was it all liposuction or did they actually have to cut away some tissue?
    I paid $2500 but that was after a $500 coupon. Also I first talked to my surgeon about it last Aug and was able to lock in the price, he said after the new year prices on everything went up. Don't know what hes charging now but probly in the $3500 range. It was laser lipo, the laser part of it is suppose to tighten the skin around the area over the next few months or so, time will tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    I paid $2500 but that was after a $500 coupon. Also I first talked to my surgeon about it last Aug and was able to lock in the price, he said after the new year prices on everything went up. Don't know what hes charging now but probly in the $3500 range. It was laser lipo, the laser part of it is suppose to tighten the skin around the area over the next few months or so, time will tell.

And thank you bjg, that sounds like it would help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

i would STRONGLY suggest that you get a hormone panel, because something sounds more than a bit off with your body fat distribution.

Onto the workout, its generally a bad idea to begin with a barbell benchpress as they tend to cause the greatest amount of strains and tears/injuries etc. I would suggest that you begin with a dumbell press as they not only decrease the risk of injury, but strengthen balancing muscles and give the primary muscle a better stretch and contraction.

after that, I would suggest a decline benchpress (on a slight decline) in the smith machine for higher reps no lockout and placing great focus on stretch and contraction. This will really help you to feel the pec muscles working (rather than shoulders and triceps) and contracting etc.

after that, I would suggest finding a good chest press machine, and performing each rep explosively, letting the handles go all the way to the bottom and exploding upward.

I tend to shy away from dips as they are the culprit for numerous injuries and tendon tears in people (they are a great lift though dont get me wrong).

make sure that you really pay strict attention to your diet, keeping it clean etc.
    Last edited by Curt James; 04-28-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: "Insulting Other Members" brings with it a 2 point infraction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

dips can also be rough on the shoulders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

if it is only lipo that you got and you are cleared by your doc to workout then just try to work out normally, no problems.....to shape up your chest you have to workout chest, shoulders and lats not only chest..just workout normally ..it is going to take some time ..but patience pays...but you have to be cleared to workout by your doc if your lipo was recent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Standard Donkey View Post
    i would STRONGLY suggest that you get a hormone panel, because something sounds more than a bit off with your body fat distribution.

Onto the workout, its generally a bad idea to begin with a barbell benchpress as they tend to cause the greatest amount of strains and tears/injuries etc. I would suggest that you begin with a dumbell press as they not only decrease the risk of injury, but strengthen balancing muscles and give the primary muscle a better stretch and contraction.

after that, I would suggest a decline benchpress (on a slight decline) in the smith machine for higher reps no lockout and placing great focus on stretch and contraction. This will really help you to feel the pec muscles working (rather than shoulders and triceps) and contracting etc.

after that, I would suggest finding a good chest press machine, and performing each rep explosively, letting the handles go all the way to the bottom and exploding upward.

I tend to shy away from dips as they are the culprit for numerous injuries and tendon tears in people (they are a great lift though dont get me wrong).

make sure that you really pay strict attention to your diet, keeping it clean etc.
    What he said
    Last edited by Curt James; 04-28-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Standard Donkey deletion

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rep Points

16 sets of chest twice a week is way too much.

Post your entire workout in detail......not just your chest workout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

And personally I dont think you will get the results you are looking for from just doing chest workouts... i think some shoulder and back workouts might help you reach your goals more then you think... id throw in some
    Front Dumbbell Raise

Side Lateral Raise

Lat pulldowns and some rows....

Reasoning behind this is because all this pectoral exerciser is gonna pull your shoulders forward. Your muscles all work together to give your shape, your back and shoulder muscles hold your shoulders and arms back, and your chest pulls them forward so its good to have an even distribution of strength on your body... Plus i think having bigger muscles in the upper body will help you look better naked and help keep away the moobs imo...
    I mean your gonna do what you want anyway but that's my opinion... Good luck man!