• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Gasoline Prices Skyrocketing

clayu86

Registered Member
Reaction score
In Uganda a very impoverished nation I spent a month in gas is around 5 dollars a litre.

tucker01

Elite Member
Reaction score

tucker01

Elite Member
Reaction score
A big chunk of the fuel costs in countries like the UK is government taxes. Much like here in Canada we get taxed like crazy on our fuel.

Mudge

Elite Member
Reaction score
Down in Long Beach (SoCal) a few days ago it was around $3.60 for 87, up here in the Bay Area its around $3.78ish or so for 87.

Don't know how Ferd manages to nail such poor numbers with their V6, but I too have one in my Ranger. Makes less powar than a 4 cylinder Toyota pickup and gets worse gas mileage. Ferd was never great in either of those two areas :sigh: The V8s sure do sound nice though ;)

KelJu

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
Registered Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't so much that driving costs more, although that's a problem, the problem is that everything else increases in price due to gas being expensive. You can't buy those oranges at Stop and Shop unless they're driven there by a trucker, and someone needs to pay for that gas.

Its negligible compared to what it cost you to drive somewhere. I know the trickle down effect, but the people complaining aren't doing so because their oranges cost 20 cents more. They are complaining because it is costing $100 more a month to commute to work and school.

danzik17

Elite Member
Reaction score
Its negligible compared to what it cost you to drive somewhere. I know the trickle down effect, but the people complaining aren't doing so because their oranges cost 20 cents more. They are complaining because it is costing $100 more a month to commute to work and school.

On a per person basis maybe it's not too much a week, a few dollars maybe. But on the scale of 500 million people, it adds up to be like 1.5 billion dollars every week that is being spent purely on the fuel to get us food - on a yearly basis that's nearly 78 billion dollars spent on fuel just for food. That's over 1/3 the money being spent on this new "stimulus package".

Guess it's not going to be as stimulating as everyone hopes :rolleyes:

KelJu

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
Registered Member
Reaction score
On a per person basis maybe it's not too much a week, a few dollars maybe. But on the scale of 500 million people, it adds up to be like 1.5 billion dollars every week that is being spent purely on the fuel to get us food - on a yearly basis that's nearly 78 billion dollars spent on fuel just for food. That's over 1/3 the money being spent on this new "stimulus package".

Guess it's not going to be as stimulating as everyone hopes :rolleyes:

Yeah, I get what you are saying and you are right. I'm just saying that when your oranges and apples at Wallmart go up 20 cents per pound, nobody is going to say shit, but when you spend an extra $10-$20 to fill up, everyone starts raising hell.

I don't blame the oil companies. They have one of the lowest profit margins of any company in existence, but their volume is one of the highest. You aren't really getting ripped off on the gas nearly as much as you are on the designer jeans, and diamond rings that have about a 800% mark up.

soxmuscle

Follow @TheUnzippedFly
Registered Member
Reaction score
$3.30 today in Bloomington, hadn't bought gas over $3.00 dollars here all year. Pathetic.

DaMayor

Un~Bulking
Elite Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
As usual, there are many factors involved that the American people aren't aware of....mostly because the Government doesn't want us to be aware of them.

Yeah, we Americans are a spoiled bunch, and we like our SUV's, and we're wasteful, yada yada yada...but I think it goes deeper than that.

Crop based fuels make sense, and although I haven't researched them enough to make a strong judgement, it would make some sense that their implementation is slow because, like DOMS said, cost is an issue, and (IMO) running your cool car on corn just doesn't sound sexy enough for the average American.

As far as the oil reserves here at home are concerned...I had a friend in the military tell me well over ten years ago that we had enough oil/fuel in reserve here in the U.S. to last for many many years. But why expend our resources when we can use others'? Why do you think George W. is so hell-bent on "winning" in Iraq? ...Now keep in mind, this is a military campaign that I was initially in favor of, but after more reseach and a dose of conspiracy theory paranoia, lol, I am starting to see it for what it really is...It isn't about the people there. Hell no, our goverment couldn't care less if they blew each other up....even though this would make the process of putting our puppet government into place a lot easier. We're patiently waiting for control of the oil in the entire region, plain and simple. Because without this control, an/or lack of alternative fuels, our economy would eventually collapse, and we'd be a big loud dog with three legs......whatever the hell that means.:hmmm:

maniclion

Bohemian Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Crop based fuels make sense, and although I haven't researched them enough to make a strong judgement, it would make some sense that their implementation is slow because, like DOMS said, cost is an issue, and (IMO) running your cool car on corn just doesn't sound sexy enough for the average American.
ethanol uses more energy than it yields.....doesn't make sense to me....

danzik17

Elite Member
Reaction score
As usual, there are many factors involved that the American people aren't aware of....mostly because the Government doesn't want us to be aware of them.

Yeah, we Americans are a spoiled bunch, and we like our SUV's, and we're wasteful, yada yada yada...but I think it goes deeper than that.

As far as the oil reserves here at home are concerned...I had a friend in the military tell me well over ten years ago that we had enough oil/fuel in reserve here in the U.S. to last for many many years. But why expend our resources when we can use others'? Why do you think George W. is so hell-bent on "winning" in Iraq? ...Now keep in mind, this is a military campaign that I was initially in favor of, but after more reseach and a dose of conspiracy theory paranoia, lol, I am starting to see it for what it really is...It isn't about the people there. Hell no, our goverment couldn't care less if they blew each other up....even though this would make the process of putting our puppet government into place a lot easier. We're patiently waiting for control of the oil in the entire region, plain and simple. Because without this control, an/or lack of alternative fuels, our economy would eventually collapse, and we'd be a big loud dog with three legs......whatever the hell that means.:hmmm:

Think of it this way too - what kind of ridiculously awesome infrastructure could we have built for a trillion dollars?

DaMayor

Un~Bulking
Elite Member
Reaction score
ethanol uses more energy than it yields.....doesn't make sense to me....

Good point. I guess since we hear more hype about this potential fuel source, I got a little too ethanol-specific. What I should have said was "alternative fuel sources"

maniclion

Bohemian Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Good point. I guess since we hear more hype about this potential fuel source, I got a little too ethanol-specific. What I should have said was "alternative fuel sources"
The only way ethanol and biodiesel will make since is if their is a major movement to them. Ethanol will be hard because our regular engines weren't made with corn fuel in mind, but switching diesel to bio source will be easy because the diesel engine was originally invented to run on biofuel ie. peanut oil..........But the future will be hybrids of solar. hydrogen, ethanol, biodiesel, etc........

section8

War Eagle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get what you are saying and you are right. I'm just saying that when your oranges and apples at Wallmart go up 20 cents per pound, nobody is going to say shit, but when you spend an extra $10-$20 to fill up, everyone starts raising hell.

I don't blame the oil companies. They have one of the lowest profit margins of any company in existence, but their volume is one of the highest. You aren't really getting ripped off on the gas nearly as much as you are on the designer jeans, and diamond rings that have about a 800% mark up.

A good example of this is the guy in the office next to me. He drives a F-250 4x4 with a Diesel in it. He bitches all the time at how much he spends a month on gas. He has a 40 minute commute to work like I do, but yet he doesn't seem to mind the fact that he pays out $100/month on directtv service. If it were hurting him that bad, he would either sell the truck and get something more fuel efficient or he would cut back on some of his luxuries. We have become pretty accustomed to having what we want and when we want it.

KelJu, did you ever finish school and where did you wind up working? Did you get out of state or wind up staying? There are several companies here in Huntsvegas that are hiring.