• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

is swimming a good cardio workout for a cut program?

cheesegrater

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
moving into a place with a pool 20 feet from my patio on friday, happen to be starting a cut program, have a traditional distaste for running, tho i will do it as well....if i do HIIT twice a week and swim say 5 days a week is that too much cardio on a cut or does swimming not really do much?

Samo

lift,eat,rest,lift!!!
Registered Member
Reaction score
swim swim swim......

MeatZatk

Registered Member
Reaction score
I've written this on here before and no one has disputed it yet, but from what I've read in the past swimming isn't the best form of cardio for fat loss. The reasoning is that the pool temp is almost always lower than your body temp, so your body fights to stay warm by keeping its fat cells. Like I said, no one on here has said otherwise, so I'm still going with that train of thought. I could be full of shit though. I will say that swimming is a fantastic form of cardio and I would encourage everyone to do it.

squanto

Fitness Celebrity
Registered Member
Reaction score
I've written this on here before and no one has disputed it yet, but from what I've read in the past swimming isn't the best form of cardio for fat loss. The reasoning is that the pool temp is almost always lower than your body temp, so your body fights to stay warm by keeping its fat cells. Like I said, no one on here has said otherwise, so I'm still going with that train of thought. I could be full of shit though. I will say that swimming is a fantastic form of cardio and I would encourage everyone to do it.

I call bullshit.

Pianomahnn

I bike to work.
Registered Member
Reaction score
I can see that possibly being the case if you spend a lot of time in cold water. However, most of the time when people swim they do so in temperature controlled pools. After a few laps the body is warm and trying to cool off. How many people are still shivering after their swimming workout?

Exactly.

ab2al2

Registered Member
Reaction score

Either that or your body fights to burn energy to keep itself warm (increase metabolism) like it always does : )

Plateau_Max

I enjoy SkyDiving
Elite Member
Reaction score
Swimming is more anaerobic so you burn a lot of calories but it's tough especially for a beginner to go long enough to do good. If anything you should use it as a form of HIIT. Which is always great.